SA XD 45 Compact?

SA XD 45 Compact?

This is a discussion on SA XD 45 Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I held one a few months ago and it felt great in my hands. Anyone own one that can comment on its reliability and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA XD 45 Compact?

SA XD 45 Compact?

Hi,

I held one a few months ago and it felt great in my hands. Anyone own one that can comment on its reliability and trigger pull? Do you think a trigger job by SA Custom would be necessary? Is it worth to buy the SS slide? I've always owned a Glocks (26 right now), but the 30 and even the SF just doesn't fit my hand that well. This will be my carry gun for the three cooler seasons.

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I have the XD service (4") in 9mm. great gun, I like the trigger, very crisp. I cant comment on the .45 model but I would assume it is as great as the 9mm version!
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I have never had any problem with my XD 45 Compact. Trigger pull is okay, and I felt no need for a trigger job. You ask about the SS slide. I suppose the answer to that question is what value you place on looking SS cool. My XD is camouflage, so a SS slide would not match.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

I have a 45C and love it. I trust it with my life. As far as the trigger pull goes, I have no problem with it then again I never thought twice about it. Unlike a lot of people I don't worry to much about trigger pull. I know training will get me use to it. :)

I have the .45 in the service model and love it. The gun is 100% accurate out of the box. The trigger is perfect the was it is and the recoil on it is like shooting a 9mm. You can not go wrong with it for carry or HD. In terms of SS, I have always maintained that it is better to have an all black gun for one reason. If it is dark and you are in a situation, the SS may give away that you have a gun or your location. May be paranoia, but it just seems smart to me. Overall though, you will love the SA-XD 45.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    You'll never have problems with reliability, and I love the trigger on my XDs.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Recently I fell out of work (last November) and I have since been forced to sell all of my guns with the exception of one . . . .

My XD45acp Service, 4" barrel all black color. I was down to a choice of losing my 1911 Springfield .45 or my XD45. I still have the XD45. I will eat it before I sell it.

As to the gun itself I can only say it is a fine weapon right out of the box.

A couple of things it may or may not need are:

- Trigger job
    I did a Powder River Precision over travel stop and lighter spring set, titanium striker safety block, feed ramp polish, barrel ramp polish and a sear polish.
    The trigger is really good out of the box but it had too much take up and over travel for my liking.

- AGP 20% stronger magazine springs
    I had a couple of issues, like several others did, with feeding the rounds consistently and particularly with hollow points. These springs cured all ills with ammo feeding.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Wow, thanks. Its sound like a winner and I think I will stick with all black for a CCW. Next decision will be for a "slim" summer carry 9mm.

Thanks again
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Trigger job is something you'll have to evaluate for yourself. I have two XD's, both with stock triggers. They're not amazing, but I've never even thought about changing them.

SS vs black is just for looks. The black with probably show wear more readily as a carry weapon, however. I don't personally have a problem with it, but then again, I'm not you.

I think it will serve you well!

The XD is a great weapon. I think they are more comfortable than most glocks... I've owned 2. that said a glock 19 will be the next plastic gun I get... unless the local PD hires me then it'll be a g17!...

The triggers are ok, some like 'em like they are and some want something a bit crisper. But it's a great service weapon and will serve you well.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Lovin my XD40sc.. I'm on the prowl for an XD45sc for my bro in law. He's set on a compact .45, and he loved the feel of my XD40sc.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

I have the XD45C and it is a great gun. I have the XS Big Dots and it shoots very accurate and recoil is low. Not one burp after hundreds of rounds. It is virtually the same size as the G19 so it conceals well. I know this because it fits nicely in my XD45C Brommenland holster. Found that out by accident.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I love my XD .45 Compact, but find that I don't like to carry it for long periods of time due to the extra weight. I usually grab the Glock 27 or 19...8-10 ozs (loaded) really makes a big difference in day long comfort. I do not have any issues with the trigger and it has never had a FTF in several 1000 rounds.
    Proud NRA member

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    The triggers are OK stock, it is worth it to one person for a trigger job and not for another.
    All my Xd's have a stock trigger.
    All have the silver slide.

Don't believe that nonsense about the silver slide "giving away your location", that is a urban legend repeated by those that watch too much TV.
    If you need to remove your gun from the holster, the 3 foot long flame leaving the barrel is pretty much going to "give away" your location.

The silver slide is waaayyyyyyyyy easier to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by secondhandlo View Post
    Trigger job is something you'll have to evaluate for yourself. I have two XD's, both with stock triggers. They're not amazing, but I've never even thought about changing them.

SS vs black is just for looks. The black with probably show wear more readily as a carry weapon, however. I don't personally have a problem with it, but then again, I'm not you.

I think it will serve you well!

Thanks, I will obviously give the trigger some time and see if I like it. Some people seem to hate Glock triggers, but for me they are perfect out of the box.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links