Baby Tanfoglio

This is a discussion on Baby Tanfoglio within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a steel, DA/SA compact 9mm for a while to add to my carry rotation. I wanted something that held more than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Tanfoglio

Baby Tanfoglio

I've been looking for a steel, DA/SA compact 9mm for a while to add to my carry rotation. I wanted something that held more than 10rounds and had a thumb safety and decocker. Today I decided to look for a 3rd gen S&W 9mm. I hoped to find a 3913 or 5913 but had no luck. I did, however, stumble across a gun that I always swore I'd buy if I ever came across one for a good price. 10 minutes and $275 cash later I left with what may very well be an awesome addition to my CCW lineup.

The gun is a Tanfoglio TA90 compact (BTA90). It has a 3-1/2" barrel and is 7" OAL. The gun is a DA/SA with a thumb decocker/safety. The hammer will half cock as well. The DA trigger pull is pretty stout but smooth and very predictable. Stacking is minimal and the gun feels amazing in my hand. It came with 2 14 round mags, box and cleaning kit.

I stripped it down and lubed the rails and springs. With the exception of the slide-mounted decocker, it is almost identical to my brother's PCR but I don't have them side by side to compare at the moment.

I snapped a few pictures with my Blackberry (sorry for the quality)

Last edited by Jbabbler; April 16th, 2010 at 05:18 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Looks like $275 well spent.

Nice looking gun, especially for the price.

PS. Nice avatar too (lol).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That's a good buy. Tanfoglio is known for making very hard high quality slides. The Alfa-Project (i.e. the Defender) and EAA both use their slides. The slide on my Alfa is one of the best examples of quality machining and finish I've seen on a handgun for around $300.00. Beautifully ground surface. If I told how good that gun shoots, you wouldn't believe me. The Alfa is my carry. 12+1 3.6" barrel. Let us know how it shoots.

http://www.panamashooters.com/web/co...c1322809f7.jpg

Tanfoglio makes fine pistols. A 9mm Witness was the first pistol I ever bought with my own money (prior to then I'd give money to my father to buy and technically own guns for me, as I was a minor). It was an incredibly accurate and reliably pistol. My only complaint was the width of the grip. Some new grips pretty much alleviated the issue for me. I really regret selling it, still can't get over the fact I did something so foolish.

How hard are magazines to find now? When I had mine they didn't import too many into the States, hope that's still not the issue.

What grips did you go with LeChuck? I would love a set of wood grips and am trying to figure out if the newer wooden CZ grips will work.

I did some comparison tonight and the gun is slightly smaller than my Sig P225 but holds 6 more rounds. They are the same height but the bore axis on the Sig is much higher. In my hand, the TA sits much lower. I can reach the hammer and trigger easier as well. The trigger guard is also a lot smaller. Believe it or not, it actually fits very well in my Leather Tigua Slider holster made for a Kahr P40.

She's a heavy gun though, its going to take a good holster/belt combo for carry.

Can't recall the exact grips I got, as they were a custom job. However most places that'll do custom wood grips for the CZ's will do them for at least the Witness, not sure about your compact but it's worth asking.

EAA Witness Tanfoglio

Got this off a quick search. He seems to do nice stuff, and his quoted turn around time isn't unreasonable for custom work (5 weeks, isn't great but it's understandable). If his price is accurate it doesn't seem to be outrageous either ($70-$90 plus the cost of materials). I haven't personally dealt with him though, so don't take this as a recommendation, just a suggestion.

Nice gun! Enjoy!

nice. i wish i could find one at that price.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks, I know that these guns aren't familiar to many but I gotta say, this one fits my hand like a glove. It's a little heavy but the trigger and grip are amazing. I shot it with my P225 today and fired 500 total rounds (expensive trip). I put 250 rounds through each gun and both performed with 100% reliability. With both guns I shot from 7, 10, 25 and a few mags each at 50 yards. At 10+ yards I used a steel plate so I don't know the group size but can say that I was able to ring the plate at 25 yards 87 out of 100 shots. At 50 yards I hot it 17 out of 29 shots fired. While that may not be overly impressive I was more than happy with the results. Both guns were accurate and I didn't really see a difference in accuracy with either. The Sig seemed to flip a great deal more and I'm not sure why but both guns performed perfectly.

I own a Tanfoglio Witness full steel combat in .45 acp

I have shot Springfields that I did not like nearly as much as my Tanfoglio, and I'd really like to get another one.

As with you, the only issue I have is finding grips for it. Oh, and holsters.

That's a steal for what you paid!
    Last edited by Shackleton; June 18th, 2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Left a part out.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    If you copy a gun design or base a design off another gun.....copy a good one and in this case Tanfoglio copied one of the best (CZ 75).
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

GM
    Congrats and Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Nice gun. I personally have had really good luck with Tanfoglio clones.

It looks like these all take the same mags: EAA Witness Compact, Tanfoglio BTA-90, TZ-75 compact, Springfield P-9 compact, Excam BTA-90B and 90C compact, UZI Eagle compact 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links