Defensive Carry banner

How large a handgun can you comfortably carry in a tuckable IWB holster?

8K views 64 replies 54 participants last post by  geod 
#1 ·
I'm trying to narrow down my selection of a CCW handgun and am intending to carry it about 3:30 or 4:00 in a tuckable IWB holster.

At this point I'm looking at .38 and .357 revolvers (so that my non-shooting-inclined wife could use the handgun in an emergency with fewer problems than if I had a semi-auto), however if I have to go to 9 mm for comfortable carry in this position, I'm wondering what models should be on my short list (I don't want a .380, but would be open to a Makarov). I have a $250-300 budget and am primarily looking at used guns to try to maximize the best value for my available funds.

I've heard the following recommendations, and will be going to a gun show tomorrow (D.V.).

Almost all of the J frame grips I've tried so far are uncomfortable for me with my long fingers, however I hope to try some different grips tomorrow.

Any other suggestions for carry in the position I want to use?

(I can't list all the revolvers, but these are most of the semi's that have been suggested to me so far.)

Glock 19 -- I've handled larger Glocks, but think they look klunky -- don't take it personal Glock-lovers, I understand they are great guns. Maybe the 19 would work for me, but I haven't found one in the shops where I've looked. I hope to look at one tomorrow, but I imagine a used one will be over $400.

Kel-Tec 9 & 11 -- but I don't like the trigger

Sig 225 [used] -- one of my favorite semi's so far, but don't know if it would be too big for tuckable carry

Kahr 9 -- sounds like a nice gun, but the shops I've been to haven' had one, and I don't think I could afford one

LCR -- haven't liked the trigger of the ones I've tried, or the 2-finger grip

Makarov Russian or Bulgarian -- They look like they would work for my carry position, and would be in my price range.

Please also indicate something about your build! I understand that one's build can make a difference in what he can carry comfortably. I'm in the "lanky" category and have to shop for long and extra long clothes.

See less See more
#35 ·
I can carry a SIG P220 in an MTAC under a tucked shirt with no real issues. In fact, while carrying that way once I had dinner with a gun buddy of mine. Leaving the restaurant, he commented, "I can't believe you aren't carrying tonight." He had a S&W .44Spl OWB under a vest at the time.

I take that as a pretty good comment on my ability to conceal that particular full-sized gun.

(Me: 5'11", 200#)

#40 ·
Thank you all for your helpful comments.

I went to the gun show last Saturday and since I had never been to one before I had naive preconceptions of what I would find. I thought I would find many vendors selling various options of what I was looking for, and instead found many vendors selling lots of what other people were apparently looking for, and occasional ones selling what was on my shopping list. Oh well, I guess that's fair.

I also found that the vendors who had the handguns in which I was interested were not the ones who had various grips for those handguns, consequently I couldn't try different combinations.

The conclusion I am now contemplating is to get a .38 special, possibly an older Charter Arms Undercover and add T-grips. This would give me a revolver to fit my longer fingers which could still be concealed in different ways, including in a tuckable holster. I know it wouldn't be as powerful as a 9, .40 or .45, and I don't expect it would be the most fun range gun to shoot, but it would provide a defensive handgun that either I or any other family member could use in a pinch.

Secondly, if/as I could afford it, I might want to also purchase a semi-automatic as a second handgun. It would be more powerful than the .38 and likely more fun to shoot. At this point the previously purchased .38 would become a backup handgun in the house and I would carry the semi.

I have other interests too, so I don't know if I would have time, but I'm thinking about trying some IDPA competition for the experience it would provide. If I could see my way clear to give it a serious try, I would be inclined toward a Sig 9mm (unless, in the meantime, I get to try enough Glocks that I overcome my present dislike for them!).

If IDPA doesn't seem like it would fit my schedule and lifestyle then I might look at a .40 or .45 -- maybe in a 1911 format for handgun number two (actually it would be number three or four, but that's a different story).

#58 ·
The conclusion I am now contemplating is to get a .38 special, possibly an older Charter Arms Undercover and add T-grips. This would give me a revolver to fit my longer fingers which could still be concealed in different ways, including in a tuckable holster. I know it wouldn't be as powerful as a 9, .40 or .45, and I don't expect it would be the most fun range gun to shoot, but it would provide a defensive handgun that either I or any other family member could use in a pinch.
I have an older S&W M36 .38 that I use with a Side Guard Holsters IWB "tuck clip" holster that has worked out very well for me. I rarely tuck it in, but it tucks pretty easy and, depending on the tucked shirt, conceals very well. It's also extremely easy to slide the holster on and off.

So far I've never had a problem concealing a revolver, but I'm just over 6'1 and about 215.

My wife is not a fan of firearms in general (a work in progress) but like you I have confidence that she could pick it up and shoot it without having to mess with racking the slide, etc.

#45 ·
Argh, tried that, backache city. Doesn't work well with sitting, either, and don't even want to think about a Judo backfall. You wouldn't be getting back up.

On the other hand, you can draw with, well, the other hand.

#42 ·
Well, the Largest I ever carry IWB is a Beretta PX4 Storm .40 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. That was my EDC for years. I think the Crossbreed holster is really what made it comfortable to carry a medium to full size auto.

I have since transitioned to a Kahr PM9 in a Pocket Holster for EDC, but may carry both when the need arises.

#43 ·
I normally carry in the 3-330 position. I can carry my full size 1911a1, Glock 26, or my Taurus 85UL. The 38 and the m26 carry the best for me but I can carry my 1911 fairly comfortable also, I just don't like the extra weight from the all steel pistol.

I'm 6 foot and about 200 lbs.

#49 ·
Sig 225 [used] -- one of my favorite semi's so far, but don't know if it would be too big for tuckable carry
During cooler months, I often carry my P226 in a Crossbreed ST. It works fine for many clothing options in summer as well. You dress around your sidearm.

#52 ·
I carry both a full sized 1911 (5") and a compact (3.5") with no problems. Both are comfortable to carry and conceal well depending on the cover garment. In cool weather with a flannel shirt I can get away with the bigger grip of the full sized and the compact is easily tuckable without a cover over a dress shirt.
All depends on body size and holster type and you'll probably change your mind several times (and end up with a drawer full of holsters like the rest of us :yup:)

#59 ·
just my opinion on your situation....

the j-frame is small, lightweight, easy to conceal, the wife can shoot it...however she might not want to shoot it enough to train with it due to the recoil....just something to consider

used G19/26 might be good with your budget....you may have to save up more and get a new one though

now to answer your title question:
I first carried my HK USP full size 45 IWB with a tuckable holster
6'4" 210

#60 ·
usually carry xd sc .40 IWB in homemade Kydex
but I have bobed the hammer on my 3" sp-101 and now it carries well IWB in a Murphs leather made for a J frame

6' 2" 275#

#61 ·
I have a Ruger SP101 357 mag (J frame), cost me used $325. I carry it in a CQC Blackhawk holster which again used ran $30. I find it very comfortable. I'm a towering 5'6" 190#. No problems here. Not my daily carry, but I like to swap out the Glock once or twice a week just to be unpredictable. Keeps em guessing.... I'd feel fine carrying it every day.

#62 ·
I'm 5 11 and 165 lbs, and I have set the thickness limit for IWB at 1.1 inches. Even though I have some good and some expensive [not always the same thing]
IWB holsters, I can't get comfortable with a thicker pistol. That pretty much eliminates my Sigs, Brownings, Colt, S&W, and Tauruses, but my Kahrs will work, as will a PF9.

#63 ·
Inside the waist band is my favorite method of carrying off duty concealed.
There are two big factors that make all the difference in the world to me in carrying in this fashion.
The first one is always wear a undershirt or underarmor type shirt so the gun will not rest on your actual skin so much both for comfort and protection of the gun from normal body sweat.
The second issue is whether you carry a revolver or a semi choose one with a hammer that will not "cut" into your body or is either hammerless or has a rounded or shrouded hammer.
For those in here who think those little sub-guns are the way to go, I totally disagree, especially in the case of a semi-auto. They tend to be harder to draw fast because you have to sometimes "dig" them out.
The natural "hook" a revolver grip has is the most natural and easy to get to firearm that exist IMHO. I love my J frame smith with that little boot uncle mike rubber grip and both my J frame and my Ruger SP101 have a flush shrouded hammer which is why they are my normal carry. Plus, with a revolver the fat thick part of the firearm is the cylinder and in most model holsters for IWH they ride on the waist band level and are not stuck down in your pants, unlike a semi-auto where half of the gun itself is stuck down in your pants.
Rethink the revolvers. They are awesome for both comfort and quick to get out and into action.
Also, a side note for older model Sig's. I have both a P220 45acp and a P239 compact 9mm and they are both sheer torture to carry IWB for my chubby body because the backside curve of both the hammers are razor sharp even with a under armor shirt on, especially when sitting down.
I also like the striker fired semi's such as Glocks and Springfields XD line because no hammers exist and the guns are big enough to get to vs those little sub keltecs and Ruger LCP's.
All ofcourse just my humble opinion.

#64 ·
Coincidently the holsters I use are the Desantis Prostealth IWB Nylon holsters.
I seldom where a belt with them and I have three models of this holster that allow me to carry many models.
The guns I most often carry IWB off duty are: Ruger SP101 in 357mag, S&W Jframe mdl 637 with Corbon 38spl loads. My Glock 27 and my Kimber Procarry with the rounded combat hammer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.