How large a handgun can you comfortably carry in a tuckable IWB holster?

This is a discussion on How large a handgun can you comfortably carry in a tuckable IWB holster? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C Bennett Agreed 100% I used to use my Snubby when I had the Glock 23 when I wanted a MORE comfortable ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How large a handgun can you comfortably carry in a tuckable IWB holster?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    Agreed 100% I used to use my Snubby when I had the Glock 23 when I wanted a MORE comfortable gun on and that concealed BETTER..people for some reason(many of which just THINK it should be uncomfortable but have never actually tried it) think the cylinder is obtrusive..I wish I still had my pictures from my old computer but I had a great top down picture of the Glock 23 slide with the CH85 right below it so you could see how much thicker the cylinder was...you could barely even see the cylinder because the thickness of the glock lol. and with the glock the thickness is the whole gun...not just a small cylinder...
    I often carry a Ruger SP101 IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck and find it very comfortable and concealable as well. It’s even comfortable while driving which really surprised me.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

2. Remove Ads

IWB, I can carry lots of things. Tuckable? Well I've never honestly tried.

The largest weapon I've carried IWB was an HK45f
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

My EDC is a full size CZ-75B in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

-Rouphis

Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    I tuck a XD 45 Tactical in a Don Hume, hides really well and is pretty comfy

XDm-40 in Don Hume IWB. The best leather holster for $30!!!
    Springfield XDm-40
    XDsc-40

Id like to fly...but my wings have been so denied!!!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I can carry a SIG P220 in an MTAC under a tucked shirt with no real issues. In fact, while carrying that way once I had dinner with a gun buddy of mine. Leaving the restaurant, he commented, "I can't believe you aren't carrying tonight." He had a S&W .44Spl OWB under a vest at the time.

I take that as a pretty good comment on my ability to conceal that particular full-sized gun.

(Me: 5'11", 200#)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Mak ammo is 9x18. "Regular" 9mm luger/parabellum is 9x19...
    OOPS, I seem to be getting more dyslexic in my old age.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Carry a lock 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck with no issues. Not sure if the 17 wouldn't print a little.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    OOPS, I seem to be getting more dyslexic in my old age.
    Nah, if you were truly dyslexic, you would have typed 9x91...

Let's just call it a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Carry a lock 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck with no issues. Not sure if the 17 wouldn't print a little.
    If you can borrow one, try it out with a G17 magazine. The slide/barrel length really wouldn't matter, but the extra length in the grip/magazine area is what usually causes the most problems with "shirt" printing...

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

I went to the gun show last Saturday and since I had never been to one before I had naive preconceptions of what I would find. I thought I would find many vendors selling various options of what I was looking for, and instead found many vendors selling lots of what other people were apparently looking for, and occasional ones selling what was on my shopping list. Oh well, I guess that's fair.

I also found that the vendors who had the handguns in which I was interested were not the ones who had various grips for those handguns, consequently I couldn't try different combinations.

The conclusion I am now contemplating is to get a .38 special, possibly an older Charter Arms Undercover and add T-grips. This would give me a revolver to fit my longer fingers which could still be concealed in different ways, including in a tuckable holster. I know it wouldn't be as powerful as a 9, .40 or .45, and I don't expect it would be the most fun range gun to shoot, but it would provide a defensive handgun that either I or any other family member could use in a pinch.

Secondly, if/as I could afford it, I might want to also purchase a semi-automatic as a second handgun. It would be more powerful than the .38 and likely more fun to shoot. At this point the previously purchased .38 would become a backup handgun in the house and I would carry the semi.

I have other interests too, so I don't know if I would have time, but I'm thinking about trying some IDPA competition for the experience it would provide. If I could see my way clear to give it a serious try, I would be inclined toward a Sig 9mm (unless, in the meantime, I get to try enough Glocks that I overcome my present dislike for them!).

If IDPA doesn't seem like it would fit my schedule and lifestyle then I might look at a .40 or .45 -- maybe in a 1911 format for handgun number two (actually it would be number three or four, but that's a different story).

Ruger sr9c.

I got mine brand new for $350. I'm only 5'7" and have no isssues carrying. I use a Don hume. I do carry mid back though at 6 o'clock

Well, the Largest I ever carry IWB is a Beretta PX4 Storm .40 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. That was my EDC for years. I think the Crossbreed holster is really what made it comfortable to carry a medium to full size auto.

I have since transitioned to a Kahr PM9 in a Pocket Holster for EDC, but may carry both when the need arises.

I normally carry in the 3-330 position. I can carry my full size 1911a1, Glock 26, or my Taurus 85UL. The 38 and the m26 carry the best for me but I can carry my 1911 fairly comfortable also, I just don't like the extra weight from the all steel pistol.

I'm 6 foot and about 200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Any gun that's thin enough can be carried comfortably. Length plays a part, but not that big of a part..
    I agree with this, especially for IWB, and would add that height is more important than length. Concealing the butt of the handgun is the most difficult thing about IWB, next to the width of the handgun.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Millerb7 View Post
    Ruger sr9c.

I got mine brand new for $350. I'm only 5'7" and have no isssues carrying. I use a Don hume. I do carry mid back though at 6 o'clock
    Argh, tried that, backache city. Doesn't work well with sitting, either, and don't even want to think about a Judo backfall. You wouldn't be getting back up.

On the other hand, you can draw with, well, the other hand.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links