How large a handgun can you comfortably carry in a tuckable IWB holster?

This is a discussion on How large a handgun can you comfortably carry in a tuckable IWB holster? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger SP101 357 mag (J frame), cost me used $325. I carry it in a CQC Blackhawk holster which again used ran ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How large a handgun can you comfortably carry in a tuckable IWB holster?

I have a Ruger SP101 357 mag (J frame), cost me used $325. I carry it in a CQC Blackhawk holster which again used ran $30. I find it very comfortable. I'm a towering 5'6" 190#. No problems here. Not my daily carry, but I like to swap out the Glock once or twice a week just to be unpredictable. Keeps em guessing.... I'd feel fine carrying it every day.
    Glock 36 with Lasermax / Glock 23 / Glock 21. Ruger SP101. Taurus 85.

DZSG (Designated Zombie Survival Gun) = 870 Remington Tactical Shotgun

2. Remove Ads

I'm 5 11 and 165 lbs, and I have set the thickness limit for IWB at 1.1 inches. Even though I have some good and some expensive [not always the same thing]
    IWB holsters, I can't get comfortable with a thicker pistol. That pretty much eliminates my Sigs, Brownings, Colt, S&W, and Tauruses, but my Kahrs will work, as will a PF9.

Inside the waist band is my favorite method of carrying off duty concealed.
    There are two big factors that make all the difference in the world to me in carrying in this fashion.
    The first one is always wear a undershirt or underarmor type shirt so the gun will not rest on your actual skin so much both for comfort and protection of the gun from normal body sweat.
    The second issue is whether you carry a revolver or a semi choose one with a hammer that will not "cut" into your body or is either hammerless or has a rounded or shrouded hammer.
    For those in here who think those little sub-guns are the way to go, I totally disagree, especially in the case of a semi-auto. They tend to be harder to draw fast because you have to sometimes "dig" them out.
    The natural "hook" a revolver grip has is the most natural and easy to get to firearm that exist IMHO. I love my J frame smith with that little boot uncle mike rubber grip and both my J frame and my Ruger SP101 have a flush shrouded hammer which is why they are my normal carry. Plus, with a revolver the fat thick part of the firearm is the cylinder and in most model holsters for IWH they ride on the waist band level and are not stuck down in your pants, unlike a semi-auto where half of the gun itself is stuck down in your pants.
    Rethink the revolvers. They are awesome for both comfort and quick to get out and into action.
    Also, a side note for older model Sig's. I have both a P220 45acp and a P239 compact 9mm and they are both sheer torture to carry IWB for my chubby body because the backside curve of both the hammers are razor sharp even with a under armor shirt on, especially when sitting down.
    I also like the striker fired semi's such as Glocks and Springfields XD line because no hammers exist and the guns are big enough to get to vs those little sub keltecs and Ruger LCP's.
    All ofcourse just my humble opinion.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Coincidently the holsters I use are the Desantis Prostealth IWB Nylon holsters.
    I seldom where a belt with them and I have three models of this holster that allow me to carry many models.
    The guns I most often carry IWB off duty are: Ruger SP101 in 357mag, S&W Jframe mdl 637 with Corbon 38spl loads. My Glock 27 and my Kimber Procarry with the rounded combat hammer.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

You will need to join the new Dyslexic Organization : D.A.M. Mothers Against Dyslexia

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links