Defensive Carry banner

How large a handgun can you comfortably carry in a tuckable IWB holster?

8K views 64 replies 54 participants last post by  geod 
#1 ·
I'm trying to narrow down my selection of a CCW handgun and am intending to carry it about 3:30 or 4:00 in a tuckable IWB holster.

At this point I'm looking at .38 and .357 revolvers (so that my non-shooting-inclined wife could use the handgun in an emergency with fewer problems than if I had a semi-auto), however if I have to go to 9 mm for comfortable carry in this position, I'm wondering what models should be on my short list (I don't want a .380, but would be open to a Makarov). I have a $250-300 budget and am primarily looking at used guns to try to maximize the best value for my available funds.

I've heard the following recommendations, and will be going to a gun show tomorrow (D.V.).

Almost all of the J frame grips I've tried so far are uncomfortable for me with my long fingers, however I hope to try some different grips tomorrow.

Any other suggestions for carry in the position I want to use?

(I can't list all the revolvers, but these are most of the semi's that have been suggested to me so far.)

Glock 19 -- I've handled larger Glocks, but think they look klunky -- don't take it personal Glock-lovers, I understand they are great guns. Maybe the 19 would work for me, but I haven't found one in the shops where I've looked. I hope to look at one tomorrow, but I imagine a used one will be over $400.

Kel-Tec 9 & 11 -- but I don't like the trigger

Sig 225 [used] -- one of my favorite semi's so far, but don't know if it would be too big for tuckable carry

Kahr 9 -- sounds like a nice gun, but the shops I've been to haven' had one, and I don't think I could afford one

LCR -- haven't liked the trigger of the ones I've tried, or the 2-finger grip

Makarov Russian or Bulgarian -- They look like they would work for my carry position, and would be in my price range.

Please also indicate something about your build! I understand that one's build can make a difference in what he can carry comfortably. I'm in the "lanky" category and have to shop for long and extra long clothes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your going to be limited with that budget. I would certainly lean toward a Glock. They are usually 100% dependable. Im 5 ft 6 and carry a Glock 23 and 27. I also carry a Ruger Sp101 in .357. I would suggest saving an extra $100 until you can get something reliable like the Glock. It will always work and last a lifetime.

#3 ·
Might want to look into a Sig P239 in 40 S&W. It's about the same dims as the P225, but streamlined. A bit heavy, as it has a stainless slide. If you liked the P226 gun, then you just might like the P239. Take the stock grips off and put a set of finger groove Hoages on it, and you're good to go.

#6 ·
IWB? I couldn't even imagine doing this with a revolver. Maybe that's just me. Semi-autos and IWB carry just go together because of the form and fit. You need to get your "non-shooting-inclined wife" into the whole mix if that's what's most important for you. You must realize that I do have the best of everything in having a wife that's a shooter, CCer, and hunter. We either dwell on the shortcomings in life or we fix them the best way we know how. If we never attempt to make things better, then we're stuck in a position we would rather not be in. The G19 is a go if you do your part for the both of you, and if you are so inclined as to join GSSF for a mere $25 per year, you could get a brand new Glock for as little as $400 (with the voucher) depending on your local sales taxes.

#8 ·
With a proper holster, you can carry anything you want. Why limit yourself? I carry a gov't sized 1911, because I want to. My IWB, from Little Bear Holsters, allows me to do just that.

#9 ·
I use an Comp Tac MTAC with a G26 Glock. It hides soooooo easily for a thicker double stack gun. I think a revolver would be too fat for an IWB.

When I decided to carry, I was also thinking of a revolver in .357. A friend of mine that is also an LEO talked me out of it. He twisted my arm until I tried the G19, G26, and G27. I went with the 26 and I am so glad I did. If your wife can use the TV remote, she can figure out a Glock.

#10 ·
My first carry gun is a walther PPS .40 caliber in a crossbread IWB holster with the crossbread belts using the velcro clips.
I have been wearing this combo for a few montsh now and I find that gun very comfortable and other then shirt tucking being a pain its been no problem at all.
My Walther was over $400 used but had 3 magazines with it. Maybe you can do better.
The Kahrs and keltecs should be good.
I had a Keltec PF9 but never carried it as I sold it after two weeks as I could not stop hitting the magazine release while shooting it.

#11 ·
Comfortably? Well, that’s quite subjective to me as it actually can vary from day to day, or the clothes and weather. In general I can IWB carry my 640 (23oz) plus ammo most of the time. When it’s 110+ degrees, I’d really prefer something much lighter. When I’m done with upgrading my current two steel keepers’ I may look at an alloy frame.

#12 ·
One thing for me personally, is that I experimented with a few IWB carry's and noticed that guns that are small and light didnt seem to stay put as well when bending over or squatting etc...and I was much more comfortable with a larger weapon. I carried a P95 quite a bit with no problems @ 6'2"/235 lbs.

#13 ·
I had no trouble fitting a Glock G21 (.45) into my Crossbreed Supertuck.

As for enabling the "non-shooting wife," Glock is one of those pistols that requires no special handling. Point and click.

#15 ·
I'm 6'5" and 200lbs. I usually carry owb when wardrobe will allow it, but when I have to I iwb tucked carry a Glock 19 in a cheapo ace case holster. It was only $10 but is comfortable (for me) and the gun rides pretty low so that may play a role in the concealment factor (for me anyway).

I had a sig 239 which is an excellent weapon and scary accurate, but its dimensionally almost the exact same size as Glock 19 which is why I made the switch, that and the frame rails were gouging and my first 239 had to be replaced by sig.

In your budget range I'd take a look at something by Bersa maybe, or the taurus 709. The triggers on the kel-tecs are pretty hard, but when the adrenaline's pumping I doubt if you'd even notice them and they're very economically priced and concealable. Not knowing your circumstances financially though all I'll say is if you find something you like that costs a bit more, don't settle for something you like a bit less because it's cheaper. Just save up a few more weeks.

#16 ·
I carry a G30, a full size Kimber, or a G22 in a Crossbreed Supertuck or an MTAC. I'm no expert, but from my limited experience. barrel length is not as important as grip length or pistol thickness. I think it's easier to CC a full size 1911 than my Glocks because it's so thin in comparison. I increased the forward cant of all my holsters and the longer grip length is not an issue. I don't even print when bending over, although most folks tell you to squat if possible to minimize printing.

I admire you for trying to conceal a wheel gun though. Good luck

I am 6'1" and 225 and wear mine at about 3:30

#18 ·
I carry a Commander-sized 1911 in a Milt Sparks VMII and have used the tuckable clips a handful of times with NO problems. Have a full size Wilson that's taking over as my carry gun for a few months and I'll have no issue with that either.

Any gun that's thin enough can be carried comfortably. Length plays a part, but not that big of a part.

Now, my 1911's carry much better than any of my Glocks or HK's or even my M&P's (which I love, by the way) ever did.

#44 ·
Any gun that's thin enough can be carried comfortably. Length plays a part, but not that big of a part..
I agree with this, especially for IWB, and would add that height is more important than length. Concealing the butt of the handgun is the most difficult thing about IWB, next to the width of the handgun.

#27 ·
Actually this is my new thought on your budget...it fits the Bill..its basically a knock off of the Glock 19...and for the PRICE its not a bad gun..its trigger is heavy but that can be worked on...I think you can even send it back to S&W and have them do it for you if its bothersome..I have no doubts that its so close to a Glock but a LOT cheaper that it would fit Glocks holsters lol...Right B4 I traded the Glock 23 I was shooting it next to a guy that I thought had a Glock 19..then he said it was a Sigma I looked closer and asked if I could compare the 2..I let him run a mag of 9mm through my Glock 23(had the barrel conversion on) and ran a mag through his Sigma...the trigger was nothing to write home about BUT was NOT as bad as some guys on gun sites will have you think I could ALMOST maintain as nice a group with the Sigma as with the Glock and other than that they felt the same and laying them side by side they were the same size.

this article
has a Sigma and Glock 19 comparison of size

http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm

they are around $300 new and if you can watch for just a little they run sales where you get $50 off to bring them to $250 or they offer like 3 free mags with them...

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...enterfire&start=0&selectedSKU=0357-03425-0025

#20 ·
My snub .38 conceals much better than any of my semi automatics, I don't see the issue with wheel guns IWB?

Anyway to answer the original question, you can carry nearly anything if you're willing to deal with a little discomfort/weight. Usually I carry around 4:00 with a don hume leather IWB holster, I just adjust the cant to tip the grip forward enough it doesn't bulge under my t-shirt. Using this method you can conceal anything from a full size 1911 to a wheel gun, just be aware of any shifts especially after you get out of the car or bend down.

#29 ·
Agreed 100% I used to use my Snubby when I had the Glock 23 when I wanted a MORE comfortable gun on and that concealed BETTER..people for some reason(many of which just THINK it should be uncomfortable but have never actually tried it) think the cylinder is obtrusive..I wish I still had my pictures from my old computer but I had a great top down picture of the Glock 23 slide with the CH85 right below it so you could see how much thicker the cylinder was...you could barely even see the cylinder because the thickness of the glock lol. and with the glock the thickness is the whole gun...not just a small cylinder...

#23 ·
In that price range, even used, I would say you are probably looking at Taurus, Charter, Kel-Tec, Bursa and maybe CZ. Sometimes you can find good deals on police service models like S&W or Berretta that have been sold to brokers. They are usually in okay shape but are going to be larger and harder to conceal. If you are on a limited budget you probably don't want to be hunting around for 9 x 19 ammo so I would probably stay away from the Makarov.

#25 ·
My Taurus CH85 Revolver carries better IWB than my Glock 23 did. The Glock 23/19 is the max size I could CC with. I could also carry a Sig P6/225 and prefer that gun to the Glock actually. I like your thought of using the revolver for your wifes sake also..if someone does not regularly train and you want them to be able to use the gun also Revolver IS the way to go! And in Revolvers IMO top of the hill right now for CCW goes to the Ruger LCR then the S&W's and Rugers in the 101 versions then the Tauruses...But DONT hesitate to get a Taurus if its budget considerations they are great thats what I have...wish I had the LCR but have the Taurus CH85 because I could afford $225 I could not afford $500 at that time.

When I cant wear the Crossbreed ST because of its bulk this is what I regularly use as my CC rig..like I said its just as comfortable as my Glock 23 was for IWb carry. Its also my wifes HD/SD gun for the house..she can shoot the Ruger or the Glock BUT if it malfunctioned she would have no idea how to clear it so she would have a useless gun..with this she knows just pull the trigger again and she cant limp wrist it either....I do want to get a set of CT grips for it and a hammer spring set to slightly lighten the trigger pull..thats what I love about the LCR..that has the sweetest DA trigger pull ive ever felt outside something thats been worded by a gunsmith.

Oh and BTW I love my Ruger SR9c for CC its a great gun and fully ambidextrous controls for the safety and mag releases.

And do you mean the LCR or the LCP in your post...the LCR has a regular snub nose grip(basically your full hand) and has the best trigger you can get on the market??? I know the LCP the .380 pistol has a smaller grip and the trigger isnt anything great lol.

You could probably afford a USED Kahr CW9 thats their cheaper version without the match barrel and is around $400-450 its a nice thin gun.

I LOVE the sig 225/P6 as CC and is fully doable as its the same size as my Glock 23 was especially in a good rig at 3-430 o'clock carry.

The Glock 19 is a good gun but probably the thickest you listed...and its the most gun I could carry comfortably..The Reason I traded the Glock 23 I had on the Ruger SR9c was because it carries better and is thinner. almost 1911 thinness. BUT you can get police trade ins for your $400 or LESS..I had a hell of a time selling my lock 23 I could not sell it for $375 so I ended up getting sick of waiting around and traded it on the Ruger SR9c instead.

The Crossbreed ST is a good comfortable holster but its big enough that it rendered 1/2 my jeans too tight to wear with it..so keep that in mind...I can easily wear the same jeans with the holster pictured from the Taurus but cant even button them with the Crossbreed on with the Ruger SR9c... But it works well for me for winter time type CC where I can wear a sweatshirt or heavier shirt to cover it up..well worth the $$ for that.

Oh and im 5'10" and 155 lbs

Attachments

#30 ·
My $.02:
To run upstream against the flow, check out a surplus 12-rd CZ-82 in 9x18 Makarov at CDNN.
I picked one up recently ($217 for VG - Excellent, extra mag, shipping) and other than some minor cosmetic wear, it was in great shape. It's very nice to shoot, nice SA/DA trigger, ambi-safety and mag release. Operation is flawless. No complaints whatsoever. Catalog prices run from $158-189, depending on cosmetic condition. Would have no problem carrying it "locked and cocked" or hammer down in DA. Very well-designed pistol.
For a project, I DuraCoated it and am waiting for it to cure (+ the weather's crappy for shooting).
The ammo is a little hard to find in some local stores, but obtainable (certainly online), mostly FMJ. Power is between .380/9mm. Hornady makes a SD round for it. I'm going to reload it myself.

#32 ·
IWB, I can carry lots of things. Tuckable? Well I've never honestly tried.

The largest weapon I've carried IWB was an HK45f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.