Robar "Roguard" black finish?

This is a discussion on Robar "Roguard" black finish? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all I'm debating sending my '74 Colt cobra to Robar for their roguard black satin finish,does anyone here have any experience with their black ...

Thread: Robar "Roguard" black finish?

Robar "Roguard" black finish?

Hi all I'm debating sending my '74 Colt cobra to Robar for their roguard black satin finish,does anyone here have any experience with their black satin finish? I know their NP3 finish is well regarded I haven't seen much about this particular finish. How does their roguard black satin finish look in person,does it prevent rust well as this is a concern of mine living in humid Florida.

It says on their website that that can apply it to aluminum alloys so I'm guessing that the Colt cobra with its alloy frame is a Canaanite for this treatment? And last thing is what is Robar's turn around time running these days? thanks for any info on this guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

The very best thing to do is to call Robar directly. They have knowledgeable people answering the phones who will give you the straight scoop on their services.

Some of your questions are answered by their FAQs, here: Robar Frequently Asked Questions
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I got the Rogard finish on my 1911 frame and it is holding up well. When I got the frame back it sort of looked like it had been painted but upon complete assembly of the gun it looks great. The first place you will notice wear on a 1911 is the sides of the grip safety. So far, after about a year of use there are no wear marks in this area. The only wear I noticed was a few small spots on the frame rails. Once these places wore back in with the slide the gun shot much better. I'm happy with what I got. They told me 6 weeks turn around but I got it back in 3 weeks. The nice lady who called me said they had a slight lull and were able get it back sooner.

The finish is different than the one on a new Cobra but it will definitely hold up better.

VIP Member
    I’ve considered Rogard and NP3. Unfortunately, Robar doesn’t go out of their way to post much in the way of decent photos of completed work, so it isn’t easy. The few photos they do post, show a bit of orange peel in the Rogard finish, and again, it’s not posted whether this is the gloss or matt. I live a couple hours away so when I’m in the area I’ll visit their office in hopes of seeing some real live samples. They now offer a newer NP3 'Plus' that's advertised as the best for wet climates.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I recently had my S&W Chief Special done in NP3 and my Ruger Single Six done in Rogard.....in a word......Excellent....I see many years of hard use and no problems to be seen. They are tops in my opinion...and better yet....they are only about 20 minutes away from me.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

If you're looking for an outstanding "black" treatment you should look at Severns Custom's Hard Hat. It's been proven to be better than just about anyone else's in the industry. I've not had mine done yet, but I plan to get my Dan Wesson Razorback done in Hard Hat. Severn's charges about $350 for the whole gun and 2 mags. Here's a link to his site: https://severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Treatment.html

Also a link to another forum with some resent pics of a new Dan Wesson Valor SS given a Hard Hat. He couldn't wait... - 1911Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    The few photos they do post, show a bit of orange peel in the Rogard finish, and again, it’s not posted whether this is the gloss or matt. I live a couple hours away so when I’m in the area I’ll visit their office in hopes of seeing some real live samples.
    I spent some time at their booth last May at the NRA convention. Of course they'll put their best examples on display, but I handled several with a sharp eye for irregularities in the finish and found none.

What was especially impressive was a K-frame which had its innards done with NP3... the action felt like it was on silk bearings!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A friend of mine has a G-20 that he uses in competition shooting. I ask when he had the finish applied, he grinned and said 2 years ago. I couldn't find any scratches or significant wear. Impressive! They have my G35 slide right now doing the "upper" (slide, barrel, internals). Yay!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

My only experience with Roguard is on my Wilderness belt buckle. After a couple years of wear the finish is worn through in a couple spots but overall I think it is excellent. I am sure there are a lot of wilderness belt users who could chime in. I wonder how many even know that Roguard is on their buckle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackawala View Post
    My only experience with Roguard is on my Wilderness belt buckle. After a couple years of wear the finish is worn through in a couple spots but overall I think it is excellent. I am sure there are a lot of wilderness belt users who could chime in. I wonder how many even know that Roguard is on their buckle?
    Count me among the ignorant yet newly informed!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Since my last posting I have continued my endeavor to find anyone willing to post a photo of their Roguard finished revolver, but still nothing...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Since my last posting I have continued my endeavor to find anyone willing to post a photo of their Roguard finished revolver, but still nothing...

Not the same, so useless I guess, but this is a link to my S&W 65 with cerahide from CCR's.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-pimp-gun.html
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

VIP Member
    It's a nice photo so thanks! I've concluded there isn't all that many revolvers finished in Roguard, so perhaps their NP3 is the preferred choice. Oh well, I'm still on the fence between the two, despite the superior properties of the NP3.
    ~ Stephen King

I had a S&W 908 pistol done in Roguard and I was pretty impressed, but it may just have been in contrast with the very thin factory finish. It is a shame that Np3 isn't jet black as that is a far superior finish. I was happy with the Roguard exterior and Np3 interior parts on that 908, though, with no visible flaws in the work. Did not have the pistol long enough to report on holster wear.

Links