Night Sights

Night Sights

This is a discussion on Night Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your opinions would be appreciated. Did a search and didn't come up with much. Just curious about how effective they are. Are they worth the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Sights

Night Sights

Your opinions would be appreciated. Did a search and didn't come up with much. Just curious about how effective they are. Are they worth the additional cost? Thanks...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ht-sights.html

It was touched on in other threads as well. I tend to like having night sights. I like having a reference point for the front sight in low light. It also helps you locate your gun quickly in the dark when you reach for it at night. I find them to be a valuable tool.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Trijicon, Inc. : Brilliant Aiming Solutions I have a set of these on my M&P9. They show up great in the dark. Work well in day light as well. I am happy with them.

I have Trijicons on my Glocks.
    They make a great reference point in low light point shooting.
    I wouldn't have a EDC without them.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ht-sights.html

It was touched on in other threads as well. I tend to like having night sights. I like having a reference point for the front sight in low light. It also helps you locate your gun quickly in the dark when you reach for it at night. I find them to be a valuable tool.
    Thanks for the link and your response.

I had a LaserMax put into my new SA XD40 SC, but I'm getting the night sights soon as well. They are both a tool, to give you an advantage when necessary.

I have them on all my glocks and woudn't carry a gun without them.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

I like my Trijicons. When the day is coming close to an end and dusk is starting, it is nice to have sights available to finish off those remaining rounds.

When I had my Trijicon sights installed, I discovered that they were virtually dead. My dealer replaced them immediately. In the future I will check them out before I leave the store.

I might mention that it is likely to cost twice as much to have night sights installed as it will cost by purchase the firearm new with the night sights already installed.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

They are another tool for you use when the time is right. Before you buy, go to a range, gun show, or gun store and look at as many different types as you can find. Lots to research on this subject.

I have TruGlo TFO's. An aid to my older eyes - the FO "pop" and the Tritium in low light....I need extra help for these old accountant eyes.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

My opinion is that, unless you've done a few hours of low-light training, you'll never know. The question really isn't whether nights sights are 'good'...the question is only can you successfully engage a target in low-light conditions typical of real encounters.

All the rest is pissin' in the wind. Gettng all wrapped up in Product is going to kill you...eventually.

If you've never walked out into a real parking lot and had to get hits on a target, how could you possibly know what you need? Because someone says "this sight really lights up!" or "I think these are the best". God help you.

So, where is your money best spent? On the sights the internet folks say "work real good", or on getting experience engaging targets?
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 19th, 2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: rule 4
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

VIP Member
    I love Trijicons and have them on every handgun except one. Great tool.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have night sights on all my carry guns. I think anything to aid you in picking up your sights is worth it. Bad guys like to work in the dark. One word of caution I have a few shirts that if you look close you can see the snake eyes glowing through the material. Not real likely someone will notice but it could happen.
    Bongo boy has some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbrent View Post
    I have night sights on all my carry guns. I think anything to aid you in picking up your sights is worth it. Bad guys like to work in the dark. One word of caution I have a few shirts that if you look close you can see the snake eyes glowing through the material. Not real likely someone will notice but it could happen.
    Bongo boy has some issues.
    Thanks for your response.

All of my carry guns that can have night sights, do have night sights. The people who say they don't need them usually base their argument on the "You won't even look at your sights in a SD situation" or "I will just point and shoot". Which may be correct but when we have to train in a low/no light situation for qualifications I found it was much easier to point shoot when you could see your front sight in the darkness.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links