Defensive Carry banner

Kahr P380?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Gideon 
#1 ·
Who has first-hand knowledge of the P380? Thinking of moving from the LCP to the P380. My primary carry is the CW40 and when dress requires I step it down to the LCP. I would like to step down to another Kahr but would like to here from some that have used/carry/own it. Pros and Cons would be a plus. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
The Kahr is a nicer gun in that it has all the features of a full sized weapon unlike the LCP. That being said, in my situation I wouldn't trust the P380 with my life and I would the LCP at this point. My P380 went back to Kahr a few days after I got it and the slide was replaced. In my opinion the P380 is a hit or miss in terms of reliability. Its a newer design compared to the LCP, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. If I already had a reliable LCP with CT laser grips and the recoil of the gun nor the trigger pull bothered me, I'd stick with that.
Kahr-better trigger, real sights, +p capability, stainless steel, slide lock, polygonal rifling, 2 magazines, softer recoil
LCP-goes bang every time

#3 ·
I also own the Kahr P380 and the Ruger LCP, both with a Crimson Trace Laserguard. I haven't had any real problems with either. My Kahr has been flawless with all of the FMJ I've tested. The only JHP that gave me problems was CorBon. Federal and Speer have been great. My Ruger LCP has been just as good. I had one FTF on the third round, but it's been perfect after that.

The LCP is without a doubt a better bargain. I carry the Kahr since I like the slide locking back on the last round and the trigger is MUCH better than the LCP's trigger. I'm not a fan of the heavy and long trigger pull at all. The build quality is also much higher on the Kahr. The LCP is a little rough in places. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Another big advantage is that the Kahr is +P rated. I haven't had a chance to test some of the +P rounds from Buffalo Bore, but the statistics are very impressive for a .380ACP.

The Taurus PT738 TCP has also had some good reviews, but I have no experience with it.

#4 ·
I also own the Kahr P380 and the Ruger LCP, both with a Crimson Trace Laserguard. I haven't had any real problems with either. My Kahr has been flawless with all of the FMJ I've tested. The only JHP that gave me problems was CorBon. Federal and Speer have been great. My Ruger LCP has been just as good. I had one FTF on the third round, but it's been perfect after that.

The LCP is without a doubt a better bargain. I carry the Kahr since I like the slide locking back on the last round and the trigger is MUCH better than the LCP's trigger. I'm not a fan of the heavy and long trigger pull at all. The build quality is also much higher on the Kahr. The LCP is a little rough in places. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Another big advantage is that the Kahr is +P rated. I haven't had a chance to test some of the +P rounds from Buffalo Bore, but the statistics are very impressive for a .380ACP.

The Taurus PT738 TCP has also had some good reviews, but I have no experience with it.
+1 :comeandgetsome:

#6 ·
Fine gun. Moving from a LCP, you may notice the slight weight difference. But it is much more refined, and therefore more expensive, than the LCP.

Craig

#7 ·
P380

I have a P380 as well. It is a great shooter very accurate and a nice trigger. You must adhere to the 200 round break in period a good idea with any pistol you intend to carry. The issue I have had with mine after 400-500 rds. is that it is very finicky about ammo. Also I have had a few failures to go to battery completely. However each time it has been while practicing one hand shots. So could very easily be me. Have not had it happen it two hand hold. Overall I could recommend it to carry.

#8 ·
Who has first-hand knowledge of the P380?

Pros and Cons would be a plus.
I have one. But its reliability leaves much to be desired. It doesn't have any.

At the moment, my P380 is in Kahr's hands being reviewed for severe functionality failures. Inability to cycle, mostly feeding. I'm sure it's just a problem with the chamber throat and feed path being a bit too restrictive to handle various ammo, possibly exacerbated by the extractor. We'll see. Once that gets sorted out, I am hopeful that all will be well.

A Kahr CW9 that I have is fairly reliable and wonderful to shoot. It makes an excellent carry gun as well. The P380 is one that I'm intending to carry in the pocket as a go-anywhere type gun where my regular daily carry gun won't do.

Accuracy is a real plus, in the P380 as well as the PM9. I don't quite know how Kahr does it, but these puny pistols are quite good in the accuracy department. Once I learned the timing of the cycling and recoil, it got fairly accurate. IMO, the P380 is certainly a 1-7yds type gun, whereas the PM9 reaches out a bit farther. Accuracy within this range is very good, for me. Handspan distance, at nearly any speed of shooting; much tighter groups, with little effort and by taking time to "aim small."

Kahr makes a heck of a package: the size, weight, flatness, concealability and general quality of the parts combine for a combination of traits that few other makers have attempted or equaled. IMO, the PM9 and P380 are, bar none, the best micro carry packages going, if you can avoid examples that have reliability issues.

One thing I think you'll find is that the frame design that Kahr uses results in something just wide enough to spread the load of recoil such that it's a pleasure to shoot in spite of being so small. Compared to the PM9 or P380, any pistol of comparable weight seems to beat up the hand during extended shooting, while the Kahrs just eat up the shots without much pain being inflicted on the hand. They're thin enough to conceal easily, but thick enough to fit well into the web of the hand and spread the force of recoil well. That's a nice feature.

Pearce makes the magazine base plates for the Kahr magazines. If the PM9 or P380 doesn't have enough height for your comfort level, not allowing enough grip to suit, you can swap the Pearce base plate into each magazine and you'll then be able to add another finger onto the grip. On the P380, it makes all the difference. With the right pocket holster, it doesn't affect concealability either. (Though, on the PM9, I found it did on a couple well-designed pocket holsters, being that much larger than the P380. YMMV.)

The one issue with being single-stack and so small is: capacity. There are only so many bullets you can stuff into a puny pistol. The P380 takes 6rd mags. If you're comfortable with a revolver on you, then this shouldn't be a problem.

Bottom line: If you get a reliable one, or can work through the massaging to get it to the point of being highly reliable (as with any carry gun), I think the PM9 or P380 will be one of the best carry guns you have.

My $0.03.

#9 ·
At about $580 this is a hard choice...nostores in town have one to hold. Sportmans said they may/may not get some in in two/three weeks Great posts thus far, anyone else with some pros/cons?

#10 ·
I've got a P380. Just back from Kahr for second time. Super quick turnaround with them. I have not given up on it. Will have to see what this weekend holds. Seems like they did "something" to it when I sent it in for night sights and a look at some frame wear. Such a good company I think they replaced some stuff, despite no problems after the first 200 break in rounds.

Real sights, decent trigger, very light, recoil is easy, followup shoots are easy, Not fond of DAO, (loved my Sigp238 but it has never worked), two mags, and very concealable

If I can get a couple hundred rounds without issue, I will see what my Bride thinks. Oh, it is a double spring unit on the recoil spring, so it is stout to rack the slide. Not sure she will like that.

#11 ·
If I can get a couple hundred rounds without issue, I will see what my Bride thinks. Oh, it is a double spring unit on the recoil spring, so it is stout to rack the slide. Not sure she will like that.
It should be easy to rack the slide after running a few rounds through it. My wife can do it fairly easily and she's 5'0". She usually pushes the grip and pulls the slide back at the same time.

#13 ·
Need to chime in here. I've had 2 P3AT's, a Ruger LCP, and now a P380 with factory installed night sights.

First, I'll say if you're just looking for a good, lightweight, dependable pocket .380, then any of the three will fit the bill.

However, there are some "gains" with the Kahr P380 that made it worth the price for me...

-I have three others and they've all been perfect, absolutely perfect
-the trigger is the best DAO trigger I've ever shot and the P380 is just as good as it's big brothers. The triggers on the P3AT or LCP were/are terrible
-The sights are better than the others; they're just like the big brothers
-My P380 is more accurate than my other .380's but I think that has a lot to do with good sights and the excellent trigger
-Slide locks back on last round; it doesn't on the other .380s. I think this is a BIG deal because all of my pistols lock back, now my pocket pistol is no exception.
-eronomics are a lot better. It fits the hand better than the other two and feels more like a regular sized gun but retains the flat small profile in the pocket.

I did look HARD at the Sig P238 which I think looks the best of any of them, however....
-I don't like a thumb safety on a pocket piece. If you only carried 1911's, then maybe, but I don't so I don't like that.
-The trigger on two I've handled in stores was really really back. The first on I thought was defective. When I handled a second one I realized it might be the way they are. In all fairness, I was expecting a SA trigger similar to the 1911's I've owned
-It was heavier and slightly bigger. For a larger guy no problem, for for a guy my size in dress pants the lighter and flatter the better.

I was concerned about my P380 because the disassembly and reassembly was harder (as in took force) compared to the other three I have. Pluse it would FTF with some hollow points (all the other pocket .380's are inclinded to as well). So I called Kahr. They had it picked up the next morning on their dime. I had the gun back in 4 business days. They called to explain the assembly/dissassembly process and why it is harder and slightly different than it's big brothers. They replaced the barrel. I haven't fired it yet but was totally impressed with their customer service.

At the end of the day the P380 has some refinements that edge it into a different/higher class than the P3AT and LCP and if that's not enough, the P380 doesn't produce "smilies". If you've fired a P3AT or LCP you'll know what I'm talking about. In those guns the top round in the mag gets smacked against the feed ramp during recoil and it puts a ( shape in the bullet. It can set back the bullet into the casings a bit and I've had it happen to me more than a few times. It may not be a big deal but that always REALLY bugged me. The P380 doesn't do that.

So is it worth the price? For me it was.

God Bless
Gideon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.