Advice on a Kimber

This is a discussion on Advice on a Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a nice 1911 .45 for a while and I'm pretty sure a Kimber is it, but I'm not sure what all ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a Kimber

Advice on a Kimber

I've been looking for a nice 1911 .45 for a while and I'm pretty sure a Kimber is it, but I'm not sure what all the different styles/models mean.

I've checked their website but would rather hear the thoughts of the membership here.

I will be carrying it every day so obviously, a compact version but aside from that, not sure what the differences are between the Ultra Carry, Pro Carry, CDP, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Semper Fi!

2. Remove Ads

Super Carry all the way. Not sure exactly when you can get one.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by LDO View Post
    I've been looking for a nice 1911 .45 for a while and I'm pretty sure a Kimber is it, but I'm not sure what all the different styles/models mean.

I've checked their website but would rather hear the thoughts of the membership here.

I will be carrying it every day so obviously, a compact version but aside from that, not sure what the differences are between the Ultra Carry, Pro Carry, CDP, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    All the Ultra models have 3" barrels & the Pro models have 4" barrels.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

ultra: 3"
    pro: 4"

the different models have different features depending on what you want, such as steel vs aluminum framed, extended mag wells, night sights, match grade barrels, etc.
    If you click on the guns on the website and hit 'features' it will tell you these things, or you can tell us what you want in your kimber and I can tell you which is the one :)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Check out the Wilson CQB Combat Compact...they work.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

I'm just curious, LDO, how you are pretty sure that "Kimber is it" when you haven't researched what the "different styles/models mean". Is it just the look that you like? Just wondering.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

I've had zero issues with the (2) Kimbers that I have owned.....Ultra CarryII (which I sold) and my Crimson Pro which is seeing more safe time than range time since my EDC is between the Springer EMP9 and Sig P238.

Might have to put the Kimber up on the auction block.
    b.

basics of the models:
    gold match: ambi safety, steel, 5" barrel only$1345-1535 msrp (their target gun)
    pro carry: 4" barrel, bushingless barrel, rail mounts, Al frame, $880+ msrp
    ultra carry: same as pro crarry but 3" barrel
    crimson carry: same as pro/ultra carry but includes the crimson laser grips $1100 msrp
    tactical: what it sounds like- night sights, Al frame, extended and beveled mag well, 3 or 4" barrel $1250+ msrp
    eclipse: steel frame, night sights, 3 4 or 5" barrel $1235+
    covert: tan color. laser grips, night sights, extended mag, 3" or 4" barrel, al frame, $1600 msrp
    aegis: 9mm 3" or 4" barrel. some others come in the 9mm, but this gun was made to be 9mm. Al frame, night sights
    cdp: ambi thumb safety, night sights, al frame w/ black finish, 3 or 4" barrel $1300+
    raptor: ambi thumb safet, night sights, spiffy grips and slide serrations, steel frame, 3,4, or 5" barrel $1250+ msrp
    super carry: Al frame, spiffy slide serrations, night sights, round heel frame, 3 or 4", $1500

there is more to them then just that. some have the 'melted' edges, checkering, different grips, and all sorts of stuff. If you want more info on any of the specifics just let me know

pretty much the ultra and pro carry are your basic 'cheaper' models, and the rest just have different added features or looks. personally i have the ultra aegis and its a wonderful gun. i highly recommend kimbers
    Georg Büchner

Thanks in advance.
    Kimber...

Don't. Don't do it.

Foul customer service. Nasty people. Poor quality guns.

I'd rather buy a hi-point.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    Check out the Wilson CQB Combat Compact...they work.
    and also cost 2-3 times more. Dont get me wrong, i love wilson, but kimbers are great guns and its what he is asking about here

you will always find people who are against a mfg for one reason or another. I havnt shot millions of kimbers, but have shot quite a few and have loved them all. i have found mine to be very reliable and accurate. its my edc and i dont plan on switching any time soon. I have also delt with their customer service and they were great.
    everyone is going to have different experances
    Georg Büchner

I have not experienced that with Kimber. When I sent my Crimson Pro in to have night sights and mag well extension installed they were very pleasant to work with and turn around time on the gun was fairly quick.
    b.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have heard good things about Kimber and I have heard bad things about Kimber.

I don't own one but the ones I have checked out in the store seemed good quality although pretty pricey for what they are.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

oops. forgot to make my suggestion.
    I would go with pro/ultra carry if you want the cheaper basic model.
    If you are willing to spend a bit more for some great carry features, get the tactical.
    Some of the other models have a few other spiffy features, but for the cost, i think the tactical is a great model.
    I am assuming you want Al though. If you want steel frame then i guess the eclipse
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by Adameeski View Post
    I'm just curious, LDO, how you are pretty sure that "Kimber is it" when you haven't researched what the "different styles/models mean". Is it just the look that you like? Just wondering.
    Adam,
    it is a combination of things really, the look is part of it as the reputation for quality.

I checked their website, but didn't see the tabs for the different specs.

When I said, I'm pretty sure Kimber is it, that didn't mean that I'm totally closed off of any other brand name but for the purpose of this thread, I wanted to probe the information base here on their opinions of Kimber 1911s.

I've only begun my research, it's not like I'm going to buy it tomorrow or anything. Figured I would start at the top of my budget and work down instead of the other way....
    Semper Fi!

I own Kimbers in lots of different configurations. My usual EDC for the past several months is an Ultra Aegis I've converted to 9x23. My favorite size configuration is the "Compact," however, which they unfortunately don't make in a version I can convert to 9x23. As noted above, Compacts have a 4" barrel and Officer's/Ultra-length frame. I have little use for the "Pro" sized guns, since I can conceal a 5" gun as easily.

As for quality and customer service, as you can see from just this thread, you'll see both ends of the spectrum. Several years ago, I was cleaning my first Kimber, a basic 5" "Custom," and I noticed a patch snagging on a frame rail. I discovered that a large splinter of steel had begun to detach; bad forging. Their custoner service could not have been better or faster, and they quickly replaced the frame.

They've had some bad runs of guns, with slipping QC, but who hasn't? The ones that I've had come to me with problems have been small ones, and easily remedied.

FWIW, the same company makes frames and slides for Kimber that makes them for Wilson, or at least, that was true the last time I checked.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links