New Taurus TCP with issues.

This is a discussion on New Taurus TCP with issues. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I REALLY want to like the Taurus.....but the local smith says too many returns....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Taurus TCP with issues.

I REALLY want to like the Taurus.....but the local smith says too many returns.

2. Remove Ads

Just put another 130 flawless rounds through my LCP this afternoon after work. Didn't clean or lube it either - straight from my pocket to the range - lint, dust and all.

As it should be.

Darn accurate, and easy to shoot with the pinky extension.

I really like this little gem!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Issues and resolutions

My dad and I each bought a 738 a month ago. We've both had various problems. His jams, FTEs, double-feeds, etc. etc.
    Mine worked perfectly except that the takedown pin was VERY hard to remove. I chewed the edges a little trying to remove it. I managed to avoid marring the polymer though. While removing it, I had to pry so hard that the polymer actually deformed (because the pin was pulling up on the spring that holds it in). After that I started noticing the slide lock was not operating as I expected. I could have sworn it had spring tension holding it down before, but now it was staying wherever I put it. If I locked it open, I would have to pull the slide back and manually push the lock down to get the slide to close. Also, the polymer remained bowed-out near the takedown pin. Also, the slide would not hold open on the last round anymore.
    ALL of this (my gun problems, not his) was due to the spring that holds the takedown pin in. It serves another purpose as well: To put downward pressure on the slide lock to keep it unlocked. (EXCEPT when the magazine follower is pushing up on it, as when there is an empty mag in the gun)
    What had happened was this spring had come out of its seat. It's a v shaped thing, (see page 26 of the manual for a diagram) and the upper arm pushes up against the takedown pin, and the lower arm rests in a shoulder on the slide release, pushing it down. My spring had come off the slide release and wedged itself between the frame and the polymer grip. I fished it up with a thin knife, and got it resting on the slide lock again.
    Now
    • my grip is much less deformed and will probably go back to normal.
    • My slide lock is 'springy' again, and stays down unless I push it up or an empty mag pushes it up.
    • My slide locks after the last round.

I don't know if this applies to anyone else, but some of you have described similar symptoms so hopefully this helps. From now on I will
    make sure I'm prying against the polymer (with a business card or something to prevent marring!) when I remove the takedown pin, and I'll pay attention to the position of the takedown pin spring (aka slide release spring).

Tauruses 700s are picky specially with WWB. It's with their old extractor. They have a new one now to replace the old ones. But for others the old extractor works. It may be a quality defect for the first one. You can have the part shipped to you and do it yourself. It quite easy... They make excellent guns with great ergonomics. All manufacturers do miss at times, its just that more and more people are buying tauruses now thats why hear a lot of them concerns.

Taurus customer service

FWIW...
    I called customer service because my takedown pin (they call it a disassembly latch) had chewed edges because it was incredibly difficult to remove. I wanted to order a spare. I also saw in the parts diagram in the manual that the only difference between the 6 and 8 round mags is the spring and floor plate pieces. (ok so the body in the 8rd has two additional holes. Not necessary.) I was going to order those parts as well to convert my spare mag to 8rd.

CS rep told me they are prohibited from selling TCP parts to customers. He said (nicely) if you have a problem you have to send it in. He said they have already made many successive design changes to the TCP since they started producing it, some of them based on what they've seen come in for warranty repair. He said to wait until October to order any spare parts because the designs may still change before then.

It seems to me that the early TCPs had good quality control, because I haven't seen any early reviews that complained about failures. But huge demand and huge production numbers probably caused the lack of quality control. My gun is a 14xxx serial. I don't know what my dad's is but I'm curious. We purchased ours from the same dealer on the same day. Mine has been mostly reliable (always goes bang at least) and his has been mostly not reliable (at least one 'click' per magazine, among various other failures).
    That said, having read several forums full of TCP problems, I see that everyone who actually sent their gun for warranty repair received it back in working order and reasonably fast.
    It kind of sucks that they let so many bad products out the door, but in the end they seem to make it right.

Question for you all:
    How well do your magazines fit? Mine feels cheap and and loose. (ya, still talking about the magazine) When I grab the gun, the pressure on the pinky (more like ring finger) extension causes it to pop and move around. Sometimes it feels like it's going to pop out of the gun.
    I just wonder if that's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by brewzenol View Post
    My dad and I each bought a 738 a month ago. We've both had various problems. His jams, FTEs, double-feeds, etc. etc.
    Mine worked perfectly except that the takedown pin was VERY hard to remove. I chewed the edges a little trying to remove it. I managed to avoid marring the polymer though. While removing it, I had to pry so hard that the polymer actually deformed (because the pin was pulling up on the spring that holds it in). After that I started noticing the slide lock was not operating as I expected. I could have sworn it had spring tension holding it down before, but now it was staying wherever I put it. If I locked it open, I would have to pull the slide back and manually push the lock down to get the slide to close. Also, the polymer remained bowed-out near the takedown pin. Also, the slide would not hold open on the last round anymore.
    ALL of this (my gun problems, not his) was due to the spring that holds the takedown pin in. It serves another purpose as well: To put downward pressure on the slide lock to keep it unlocked. (EXCEPT when the magazine follower is pushing up on it, as when there is an empty mag in the gun)
    What had happened was this spring had come out of its seat. It's a v shaped thing, (see page 26 of the manual for a diagram) and the upper arm pushes up against the takedown pin, and the lower arm rests in a shoulder on the slide release, pushing it down. My spring had come off the slide release and wedged itself between the frame and the polymer grip. I fished it up with a thin knife, and got it resting on the slide lock again.
    Now
    • my grip is much less deformed and will probably go back to normal.
    • My slide lock is 'springy' again, and stays down unless I push it up or an empty mag pushes it up.
    • My slide locks after the last round.

I don't know if this applies to anyone else, but some of you have described similar symptoms so hopefully this helps. From now on I will
    make sure I'm prying against the polymer (with a business card or something to prevent marring!) when I remove the takedown pin, and I'll pay attention to the position of the takedown pin spring (aka slide release spring).
    My TCP is on its 2nd trip to Miami now for the polymer bowing out during disassembling. That pin is the hardest to mess with of any gun I have been around in civilian and Army weapons. I hate it! Its only had 3 FTE during break in period with some HP ammo. I'm gonna give her one more try then I'm looking for something else. Maybe a PF9 or may wait till the Slim 740 comes out (Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - News Details) But do I want to give Taurus another chance?!?!?
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

No problems with my 738

I've shot quite a few rounds through my TCP. Probably 300 or so, no jams for the first 150 but when it was getting dirty it did jam once. Actually haven't had a single jam firing HP ammo through to make sure it would feed. Haven't fired as much but probably around 50. I'm very happy with mine. My PT111 pro however just got sent back to Taurus for light strikes on the primer sometimes, usually when it was getting dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Tauruses 700s are picky specially with WWB. It's with their old extractor. They have a new one now to replace the old ones. But for others the old extractor works. It may be a quality defect for the first one. You can have the part shipped to you and do it yourself. It quite easy... They make excellent guns with great ergonomics. All manufacturers do miss at times, its just that more and more people are buying tauruses now thats why hear a lot of them concerns.
    I agree, all guns can have problems. My Beretta 96 broke the extractor after just a couple hundred rounds. Right in the middle of my CCW class back in 2003 too. Sent it in and had it back in about a month. Not a problem with it since then though.

Quote Originally Posted by Augrunt View Post
    My TCP is on its 2nd trip to Miami now for the polymer bowing out during disassembling. That pin is the hardest to mess with of any gun I have been around in civilian and Army weapons. I hate it! Its only had 3 FTE during break in period with some HP ammo. I'm gonna give her one more try then I'm looking for something else. Maybe a PF9 or may wait till the Slim 740 comes out (Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - News Details) But do I want to give Taurus another chance?!?!?
    That's a bummer, I can take mine out with my fingernail. Guess I got lucky but I take this gun everywhere and have no doubt it will go bang if I need it to.

Quote Originally Posted by bharris25 View Post
    That's a bummer, I can take mine out with my fingernail. Guess I got lucky but I take this gun everywhere and have no doubt it will go bang if I need it to.
    I envy you. I have read on other threads that a tack puller works well. The "how to" video on Taurus shows it being done to easy with a pocket knife.
    Also, when Taurus tells you they will expedite your repair, don't hold your breath!
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Followup

I received the gun back from Taurus on Friday. I was able to get out and fire 50 rounds through it that evening. No failures to fire, or eject. The slide locked back perfectly after the last round. This is the way the gun should have operated when it was first purchased.

They service ticked said they replaced the barrel and slide lock.

I'm going to continue range sessions with this pistol and see how it performs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links