New Taurus TCP with issues.

This is a discussion on New Taurus TCP with issues. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I purchased a TCP today at Academy. Thought it was a good deal since it came with two mags, and carry pouch that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Taurus TCP with issues.

Hey guys, I purchased a TCP today at Academy. Thought it was a good deal since it came with two mags, and carry pouch that I'll never use.

Anyways I went to Walmart and purchased 2 boxes of the WWB 100ct 95gr .380 ammo and went to the range. I cleaned the gun prior to shooting and still had a couple of issues. Wanted to see what your opinions are.

I shot 50 rounds through the gun today. Of the 50 I had 5 Failures to eject. After the shot, the slide would not extract the fired round and would lock open. Also on all of the casings shot today, there was a burn mark on one side of the casing. When there was a jam I would see powder burn on the next round in the mag.

My real question is what to do next. Should I just send the gun straight to Taurus for repair, or try some other things and see if this issue works itself out?

I do like the little gun and when it ejects properly it seems to shoot very well.

This spring the American Rifleman had an evaluation of nine different 380 handguns, including the Taurus 738 (TCP). In fact this pistol earned a spot on the cover page. However, eight of the nine had malfunctions during the testing. The author suggested that all of them probably needed a break-in period such as required by Karh. Perhaps you should try another 100 rounds to see if there is improvement.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    eight of the nine had malfunctions during the testing. The author suggested that all of them probably needed a break-in period such as required by Karh. Perhaps you should try another 100 rounds to see if there is improvement.
    - These new .380's definitely have tight tolerances. I agree that you should shoot more rounds through the gun and see if there is any improvement. Clean the gun thoroughly, lubricate the rails and rack the slide about 100 times. That's the procedure I use for new guns and I've had great luck.

Ok, I've cleaned it thoroughly, and will get to the range to put another 100 down the tube as soon as I get a chance.

Is there anything to this "burn" on the side of the spent casings?

My LCP was night and day difference after 200 rds. I think those little buggers just need to work a bit. I had no problems, but I could feel how much better the gun functioned. The groups became much tighter too.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

los
    Rule out ammo related issues by firing different ammo on your next range outing. If the piece functions well, then try firing WWB.

If issues resume with WWB, ditch them.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I had to send my TCP to Taurus. I had FTE's and light primer strikes causing FTF's. Also, the slide would lock back with 1 round left still in the magazine.

I went through 300 rounds of ammo before sending it back to Taurus. If I have to go through more ammo, I will end up spending more on this gun than had I just bought a more expensive Kahr .380.

Sorry for your issues. My LCP has fired everything I put through it. I briefly considered the TCP because it can lock the slide open when empty (the LCP does not) but posts like this make me think Ruger has the little .380s done right.

Taurus...seems to be hit or miss. I fondled a 709 at a shop a few weeks ago, and it would not drop its mags free. How the darn thing ever left the factory in that condition...

I'd call Taurus and see what they say. Bottom line is you have to be confident that the thing will work.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

at my local gun store. they sold 5 in one week... 4 of them had issues. they have had several in the last month with issues. Common was the extractor.. or something to do with the extractor.
    But i am glad i didnt buy one myself.... JMO
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Just got off the phone with Taurus. I explained the issue and they're sending Fedex out to pick up the gun. Total time on the phone less than 5 minutes. So far the service seems pretty good. I'm reluctant to waste money shooting more ammo through this gun especially at the current .380 prices. When I get it back I'll go shoot 100-150 rounds to see if the gun proves out. If not I guess I'll sell it.

hmmm, after reading this I'm kinda glad I bought the LCP at the gun show last weekend...Taurus was a close second.

Well, I have a LCP with about 300-400 flawless rounds....and I had taurus's before that had to go back etc......for my and just my opinion....Taurus and some others have been spitting out guns too quickly and just dont have the proper quality control. So I would recommend, if it isnt working in the next box or 2 of ammo (cost is a consideration with 380 ammo for sure) that you dump it....because you will never turly trust it.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I agree. If it doesn't fire through the other 150 rounds of .380 I have left with NO issues when I get it back I'm gonna sell it. I may not even replace it with another pocket .380.

I've been carrying a S&W 642 for a while now and just wanted something a bit smaller. We'll have to see how this turns out. It certainly doesn't feel good to buy a product and have to turn around and send it to the manufacturer the next day. No matter how great the warranty is!

The mag catch broke in half within 30 rounds on my TCP....and plenty of FTF on the way to that mark. Sent it to the factory for repairs, and just got it back after 5+ weeks. Now the mags don't drop free.

Junk.

Lesson learned. A Smith & Wesson 642 took its place. It's a little bulkier in the pocket, but comforting beats comfortable when it comes to a tool to save my life. Don't know what I was thinking, buying one of those dinky things. "Neat" factor, I guess. Sure doesn't beat "5 for sure," especially with Winchester 130 grain PDX1 JHPs loaded up. Just shot a box today, and those things are ACCURATE!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I don't have a .380. I looked at them for a while due to the "neat factor" as well, but came to the same conclusion. If I need a pocket gun, I use my S&W 442. I also subscribe to the "5 for sure" philosophy. I'm sure they have their place in the CCW scene, and I'm not knocking them for the niche that they fill. They're just not for me. I've been pocket carrying my Bersa Thunder 9 UC with no problem, so if I need capacity it will work fine too. Find what works for you, fits your needs, and you have confidence in and proficiency with. Hope all works out well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links