Kahr 9mm or S&W 357 mod 60 revolver

This is a discussion on Kahr 9mm or S&W 357 mod 60 revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shopping in my favorite toy store the other day and I looked at one of those Kahr's that everone raves about. Nice little gun. Got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr 9mm or S&W 357 mod 60 revolver

Kahr 9mm or S&W 357 mod 60 revolver

Shopping in my favorite toy store the other day and I looked at one of those Kahr's that everone raves about. Nice little gun. Got to thinking that maybe I ought to have one in my collection. Then I realized it only has a 6 round capacity without the extended mag.

Well my S&W mod 60 in 357 mag. has five rounds of a more potent caliber. I have no problem shooting the 357 in light loads such as Golden Saber. I suspect the 9mm in the light little Kahr would have a sharp recoil. My experience (bad) with the Kel Tec PF9 has me very leary of very light CCW. The PF9 is brutal to shoot.

So is there any other justification for spending $750 other than I WANT ONE? Does anyone see any advantages in carrying the Kahr over the S&W?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I own a S&W 642 and Kahr PM9. Completely different worlds, except for the same style trigger.

The Kahr has
    +2 capacity (7 vs 5)
    faster reloads
    MUCH THINNER (biggest item here)
    smaller in every aspect dimensionally
    same available grip
    less recoil
    lighter trigger pull
    better sites with availability of night sites

That's pretty much the list I can think of. I love my little Kahr. Only downside is the required break in, during which mine was flawless. I'd run quite a few rounds through anyways even if it wasn't required. Perfect CCW weapon IMHO.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

kahrs are overrated! (sour grape! i can't afford one) also you cannot compare a kahr with a kel tec!
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

los
    The 60 WILL NEVER have the ability, possibility, probability or propensity to experience a FTF, FTE, Stove Pipe or Magazine Drop issues.

Not knocking the Kahr, just exposing a few issues specific to semi-autos.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    My vote is for the Smith.. no FTF, FTE, no jamming. etc. and the MAG round is so much more powerful.. I always say carry the biggest caliber you can shoot well. and you said yourself that you can handle the .357 so go for it!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

los
    Plus, with the Smith you have an abundance of factory and aftermarket grip/stock options for proper hand fitment.

jyo
    I vote for the Kahr, but no reason not to pick up a fine S&W model 60 as well!

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I suspect the 9mm in the light little Kahr would have a sharp recoil. My experience (bad) with the Kel Tec PF9 has me very leary of very light CCW. The PF9 is brutal to shoot.
    You'd be incorrect about the Kahr PM's, IMO.

Specifically, I've had the Kahr PM9, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P3AT and Kel-Tec PF9. Absolutely, without question, both of the Kahrs are way beyond the Kel-Tec's in terms of ability to manage recoil. No comparison whatsoever.

Yes, they're all small. But Kahr deals with it via a sensible shape and size of the backstrap and frame width. Kel-Tec simply goes too thin and light, in order to manage recoil. The Kel-Tec backstraps pound the hand. I think they feel much like shooting .357mag in a 12.8oz scandium-framed snubbie revolver. But the Kahr's, even the puny P380, has very good recoil control such that the hand doesn't get slammed anywhere near like the Kel-Tec pistols.

If you haven't yet shot the PM9 or P380 and that's all that is keeping you from acquiring a Kahr PM series pistol, you really should first shoot it before striking it off the list. Recoil is fine, on these. I've had 'em all.

Still, if you are comfortable and competent with the .357mag revolver, then I personally would stick with it. I've never been that accurate with the few revolvers that I have shot, hence my semi-autos in the stable. But there is little to compare the .357mag to a short-bbl 9mm, particularly if you're not really going to be doubling the capacity or any marked "improvement."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Revolvers are generally more reliable than semi-autos, but if you've never had a high primer completely tie up a revolver, then you are exceptionally lucky. Tap-rack-bang and/or a speed reload won't clear it. Likewise, I've never seen a semi-auto fail to fire because the trigger was short-stroked, but I have seen that happen with revolvers in the hands of experienced shooters.

My point is that some would have you believe that wheelguns never, ever fail to fire. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Likewise, I've never seen a semi-auto fail to fire because the trigger was short-stroked
    Kel-Tec P3ATs were notorious for this for YEARS until KT FINALLY fixed it with a new hammer block design. There are two "clicks" on the loooong trigger let out and, with the old design, if you didn't let it out to the second "click" to fully reset, it would drop the hammer from half-cock without enough energy to ignite the primer. At that point, you had to rack the slide (or at least pull it back 1/2 inch or so) to reset the trigger.

Another vote for the PM9 here. Mine has been utterly reliable and I feel just fine with 6+1 of +p 9mm and two very quick reloads. I figure if I can't "git-R-dun" with 19 rounds of +p 9mm then it's just not my day...

During the summer months a MK9 is my edc. I can't recommend the PM9, I've shot then but not enough to recommend it over your wheel gun. From my experience with it though, it's a nice gun. Yes the recoil is fairly sharp, but it's no where near the kel-tec's I've shot.

If you can afford it, check out the MK9 and MK40. Their extra heft makes the recoil a breeze to deal with, and I personally find them easier to conceal than my snubbies. Admittedly, neither compares to the stopping power of the .357.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Revolvers are generally more reliable than semi-autos, but if you've never had a high primer completely tie up a revolver, then you are exceptionally lucky. Tap-rack-bang and/or a speed reload won't clear it. Likewise, I've never seen a semi-auto fail to fire because the trigger was short-stroked, but I have seen that happen with revolvers in the hands of experienced shooters.

My point is that some would have you believe that wheelguns never, ever fail to fire. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Good post. I concur. No weapon is immune to failure.

Of course, the situations/occurrences you described above are specifically related to ammo and operator error issues. Fair statement?

Model 60 hands down

I have a PM9 and a 642 revo.....bottome line, the PM gets carried 10 to 1 compared to the revo.....the revo is still thick in the pockets, the PM just slips right in!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

If you can conceal the revolver, then go ahead and carry it. Use the money you save for training.

My experience with three Kahr pistols has not been good, to be understated about it. My vote, of the two, is for the revolver.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links