Switching CCW platform - Who's doing it?

This is a discussion on Switching CCW platform - Who's doing it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Folks. I've carried semi-autos all my adult life. Never had the desire to carry a Revolver. I've only owned one, the first handgun I ...

View Poll Results: What are your intentions and why..?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Switching to Revolver as primary CCW

12 46.15%
  • Switching to Semi-Auto as primary CCW

5 19.23%
  • Tried Semi-Auto carry, switching back to Revolver

6 23.08%
  • Tried Revolver carry, switching back to Semi-Auto

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching CCW platform - Who's doing it?

Switching CCW platform - Who's doing it?

Hello, Folks.

I've carried semi-autos all my adult life. Never had the desire to carry a Revolver. I've only owned one, the first handgun I bought. It was a nickle plated S&W Model 29 with a 8 3/8" barrel. I loved that monster and regret selling it about 26 years ago.

So, I'm finally at a point where I'm carrying a dependable weapon that I can conceal with ease and comfort. A Taurus PT709 Slim (9mm). It's functioned flawlessly. But lately Ive had a strong desire to start carrying a revolver. Not really sure why, but I think It has something to do with well documented foreseeable reliability issues that are inherently specific to semi-auto handguns.

Maybe I'm experiencing a little paranoia but a carry weapon should function 100% of the time. 99.9% just isn't good enough. Maybe I'm just tired of carrying a semi-auto. But the possibility of having FTF. FTE, Jamming, Stove Piping, Pre-Magazine Ejection issues in a "reliable" weapon, is extremely contradicting, and the possibility of having anyone of those issues should definitely be completely eliminated in a carry weapon.

So, I've decided to eliminate the possibility of ever experiencing any of those issues with my 709, by switching to a Revolver for my primary CCW.

How many here are thinking, or have been thinking about switching to a different platform.How many have switched and regretted it and are now thinking about switching back..?

Answer the attached Poll, share your story and tell us a little about your carry weapon of choice and what factored into your decision to switch.

Thanks in advance for your participation.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IMHO, no man-made thing functions 100% of the time, especially a revolver.

It won't have the same issues as a semi-auto but there are plenty of threads about revolvers not revolving.

Having said that, I love my wheel guns, and carry one alternatively along with semi autos.

'Just some gentle prodding to encourage a thorough decision process.
    Last edited by WHEC724; April 20th, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: bad response

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    ...IMHO, no man-made thing functions 100% of the time, especially a revolver.

Having said that, I love my wheel guns, and carry one alternatively along with semi autos.
    I concur. Although, a semi-auto will most likely have a greater propensity for mechanical malfunction,.. over a Revo. Fair Statement..?

Which platform do you favor for EDC?

I've carried a 1911-style frame for over 35 years, and have no intention of changing a thing. I enjoy the revolvers that I have, but I will continue to carry my 1911's.

The whole topic is completely subjective, and there is no right or wrong.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Which platform do you favor for EDC?
    FWIW, I usually carry two.

Primary is either a G30 or G19 (occasionally G26).

BUG is most often LCP, or S&W 637, or G26.

When I retire on my 100 acre farm, I picture myself OC'ing a Vaquero . But as long as I have to live among the thugs, I opt for more firepower.

But that's just me.

VIP Member

Here we go again...

Actually, I switched back to revolvers more than a year ago. I started out with revolvers in the 70‘s as a LEO. Later, I joined the auto-loader fan club and ‘always looked back’. Eventually, I realized the revolver was better for me in many ways. Be it the aged old reasons of well… becoming ‘aged older’ or the fact that revolvers are simply more fun to shoot, accessorize and easier to maintain.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this topic but the bottom line is that it’s a matter of personal preference. Likewise, my reflexes aren’t what they use to be in terms of cognitive dexterity.

BTW, I’ve referenced this link a time or two in the past, but its still a good read for those interested.

The Revolver: Unappreciated Advantages

Regards,
    Dan Ortego
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Saber; April 20th, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Revolvers can, and certainly do, malfunction. I have had serious failures with my S&W19 and Ruger SP101 - and both of these are solid, fundamentally sound handguns. I will admit that there is some reliability advantage to revos over autos across the board, but that advantage can be reduced to near zero with the proper selection and operation of your auto.

The issue for me is that when a revo goes down, it often goes DOWN, hard. Whereas the vast majority of auto malfunctions are very quickly and easily cleared, the same cannot be said for many common revo malfunctions. I choose to take a slightly higher chance of a simple and easily fixed malfunction over a slightly lower chance of a difficult and slow to fix (if it can be fixed at all without a trip to the gunsmith) with a revo. This is to say nothing of the other advantages an auto has (though the revo has a few of its own...)

Of course, this is my decision based on how I rank the "importance" of things, and YMMV.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Meh, I only have one revolver in my line up that I carry when needed. So I carry both a revolver and a auto
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

have issues with revolvers just as much as semi autos. wouldnt have a problem carrying either, but i prefer the semi auto

+1 on
    when a revo goes down, it often goes DOWN, hard
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Revolvers can, and certainly do, malfunction. I have had serious failures with my S&W19 and Ruger SP101...

The issue for me is that when a revo goes down, it often goes DOWN, hard. ....Whereas the vast majority of auto malfunctions are very quickly and easily cleared, the same cannot be said for many common revo malfunctions...
    Good post!

Which common malfunctions do you refer too and are there any signs or detection of a problem well before catastrophic failure occurs..?

Thanks.

I switch between, if I feel like it.....but I mostly go with Semi.....just feel better about it and it is easier to carry.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Some bad mojo for revolvers (mostly Smith & Wesson) are problems like:

backed out (partially unscrewed) ejector rods
    badly bend ejector rods.
    bent or sprung yoke (or crane-depending on preferred terminology)
    broken main springs
    broken rebound slide spring (trigger return spring)
    Broken firing pins
    Foreign object interfering with operation of the bolt (or cylinder latch on a Colt)

In many rounds fired over the past 35 years I haven't happened to have encountered any of the above problems.

I've owned my oldest revolver for 35 years now and it still has all original factory parts. During this time it has probably fired close to 60,000 rounds. Last spring, a shim was installed to take up the end shake that had developed. Despite the end shake it continued to give perfect function.

I have had one occasion where an accumulation of a particularly filthy bullet lube built up beneath the extractor of a K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver. I was shooting hand loads using cast bullets that were tumble-lubed with an early product of that type. The action became stiff and sluggish because the condition caused the cylinder to try to bind rather than turning. The lube residue had built up under the extractor to the point that the extractor wasn't completely seating when the ejector rod was released. I'd fired the revolver all afternoon on that occasion, shooting about 400 rounds. The revolver never became non-functional though it was pretty close to it by the time I figured out what the snag was. A simple cleaning of the affected area with Hoppe's No. 9 fixed the problem and that bullet lubricant was avoided in future.

This stuff was so gummy that any semi-auto could have also choked on it after many rounds.

My Colt Gold Cup .45 pistol chokes and harks on Wolf ammo. My Colt 1911 eats it right up no matter how filthy it gets.

Some of the revolver malfunctions that aren't easily cleared:

Bullet jumps crimp and moves forward out of the cylinder, binding it up. Known problem with super airweight guns and warm defensive ammo. Can also occur with cheap range ammo with weak crimps.

Ejector rod unscrews and moves forward, binding cylinder. When you beat on it to get it open, you bend and make it worse. Some guns never do this, some do it often.

A case can get stuck under the extractor star. This is common with snubs with a short ejector rod, and aggrivated by poor technique. Dirt under the star can also bind up the gun.

Ammo can be incompatible with the gun. High primers can cause a sudden 500% increase in trigger pull, .357s may not load in a cylinder fired extensively with .38s and not cleaned. See also jumping crimp above.

I have two Taurus revolvers in the shop with split forcing cones from heavy use. The lightweights and snubs don't have the "meat" around the barrel that the bigger guns do and wear faster. The range rentals really show the wear. There was no warning until they quit.

The lock on your S&W revolver can engage, tying up your gun. It can also cause global warming, impregnate your sister, and remotely kick your dog.

None of these malfunctions show any warning. A revolver going out of time will show off center primer hits. If that's not corrected it may start spitting lead from the cylinder gap, then it will quit firing at all. If you don't notice that "going going gone" you just aren't paying attention.

I carry my G30 50% of the time and my SP101 2.25" DAO 50% of the time. I feel equally well armed with both. However, since I practice a lot more with the .45, I am a lot more proficient with it. I am working on improving my skills with the SP and hot .357 loads (I couldn't hit anything at the beginning but once I got used to the sighting and trigger management, I got a lot better). I now have realized how accurate these wheelguns can be.
    One issue that remains... I can do double taps with my G30, not so much with the SP.

I've owned and shot handguns for over 40+years. I guess I should knock on wood according to what I read posted in these type threads, because... I've never had a revolver not go bang when I pulled the trigger. I've never had one go down, much less go down hard. Most of my revolvers are S&W N frame large caliber, with the exception of a couple j and k frame guns and a colt and ruger or two, so it's not like they only see light loads. I try to own good quality firearms but must admit I've had a few FTE and FTF with semi autos, thankfully it's been very few, but its happened.

I guess I can say I've also been lucky to have only had 3 or 4 bad rounds of ammunition that didn't go bang, and those were 22 caliber with the exception of one centerfire in a lever gun.

Anything can go wrong if it's mechanical. But sometimes you feel better knowing you're preventing as many of Murphys laws as possible when it comes to your SD weapon. I carry a G27 or 649 and feel comfortable with both. But, I'd stay home or carry my handgun as a backup if I really expected trouble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links