Another View of My 1911

Another View of My 1911

This is a discussion on Another View of My 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awesome shooting Springfield Champion completely reworked and coated by Robar....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another View of My 1911

DC Founder

Another View of My 1911

Awesome shooting Springfield Champion completely reworked and coated by Robar.

CHPBill

I have already asked for this

but give us a rundown on the work you have done to the 1911. I noticed you have a set of Crimson Trace LaserGrips on it :)

Rickman

Wanna trade?

I will trade you my Kimber shorty for it :)

And, yes, give us the specs of it. It looks mean with that finish, what is it?

DC Founder
    The finish is a Roguard finish (in black) by Robbie Barrkman of Robar here in Phoenix.

nice 1911...

How is that finish suppose to wear with holster duty?

I am looking to add a SpringArm pro to my locker...

~A

Originally posted by Bumper
    Awesome shooting Springfield Champion completely reworked and coated by Robar.

DC Founder
    It is supposed to be extremely durable and during the time I owned that particular gun, it seemed to not suffer in either leather or kydex holsters. What I didn\'t like about that particular finish was that it was glossy, making it look like I painted it with a spray can. The matte would really look sharp, and Robar does a really good job.

Something you may want to consider is that that particular Springfield is that the guy that built it up spent $2200 on it and both of my Kimbers were more accurate right out of the box. And the Nighthawk Enforcer that nighthawk posted on another post cost less than that gun had in it. I like Springfields, I love Kimbers, I would trade my firstborn for a Nighthawk :)

Bumper, what if you threw a Wilson CQB into the mix, than what would be your choice???

~A

Originally posted by Bumper
    It is supposed to be extremely durable and during the time I owned that particular gun, it seemed to not suffer in either leather or kydex holsters. What I didn\'t like about that particular finish was that it was glossy, making it look like I painted it with a spray can. The matte would really look sharp, and Robar does a really good job.

Something you may want to consider is that that particular Springfield is that the guy that built it up spent $2200 on it and both of my Kimbers were more accurate right out of the box. And the Nighthawk Enforcer that nighthawk posted on another post cost less than that gun had in it. I like Springfields, I love Kimbers, I would trade my firstborn for a Nighthawk :)

DC Founder
    Originally posted by APachon
    Bumper, what if you threw a Wilson CQB into the mix, than what would be your choice???

~A
    Well, that\'s a good question. I had never heard of Nighthawk until nighthawk (the member) bought his. The story I heard is that Wilson Combat came up with a new barrel design that locks up the barrel to the slide better resulting in better accuracy. the barrel is actually tapered to the rear a bit so when the slide comes forward the barrel is locked VERY rigid. According to the dealer, the Wilson Combat Board of Directors didn\'t want them to put that design into production so ole Bill Wilson himself funded the startup of a new (non-public) company, run by his oldest and best gunsmiths. That company is Nighthawk Custom.

So actually, if you buy a Nighthawk, you are really getting a premium Wilson Combat;)

Now, I\'m not absolutely sure of the accuracy of that story, but if you check out their website, you will find some of Wilson\'s long time gunsmiths: Ron Phillips, Jeff Phillips, Sam Dunham, Travis Gregory & Rodney Sharp. Nighthawk Custom is also based in Berryville, AR right down the road from Wilson Combat.

I have handled a couple of Wilson 1911\'s when nighthawk (the member) and I were out shopping for his next 1911 and they just feel good in the hand. I have never had the pleasure of shooting one. When we went to the gunshop to buy his Nighthawk, I got the same \"feel\" from it. When you lock back the slide of a 1911 and then one handed, release it with your thumb, the lockup will make a forward movement of the weapon in your hand. At least every one I have ever shot or handled has. On the Nighthawk, if you do the same thing, at lockup, there is no forward movement. It gives a very confident (and distinctive) sound but makes no discernable movement. When shooting it, it has an almost buffered recoil, but there is no buffer. I am pretty sure it is the new barrel design. It is absolutely smooooth as well like it is on ball bearings.

When you go to the store, Wilson doesn\'t want you to cut the plastic tie until the gun is sold. This makes it a little tough for a new buyer to work the Wilson action and inspect it. Nighthawk doesn\'t appear to have that restriction so you can work the action and inspect it fully.

If you ever get a chance, try one out.

All that being said, I would make the offer of trading kids for either, but I would probably go with the Nighthawk....;)

Talon, is looking mighty nice. I think I need to get a hold of one.

~A

Thanks for the heads up on a new 1911 company.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by APachon
    Talon, is looking mighty nice. I think I need to get a hold of one.
    If you touch it, it will have you in it\'s power:yes:

Closest place is up in Ogden Utah for me to go and caress one :(.

However, I may by one sight unseen unles you count the pics from the net. :D

I showed the Wifey pics of it and she just smiled and said, is that for me??? Guess that means two will be needed. :kay:

~A

On a side note, what is the purpose of serrating the top of the slide???

Ridgerunner
    So a BG can get a good grip to throw it out of battery

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Ridgerunner
    So a BG can get a good grip to throw it out of battery
    Argg. No, Ridgerunner, you are talking about the serrations on the side that some people find easier to work the slide especially with gloves. My Kimber Custom TLE II has them and I do sometimes use the front serrations, especially when press checking it. If you grab it by the back ones, the palm of your hand will naturally cover the ejction port.

The top serrations/grooves or whatever they call them I assume are used to break reflection on the top of the slide. It looks like it would collect crud of one type or another in them. I didn\'t really care for the Talon for that reason.

I would look at them in person to be sure you get the \"right\" one. Scottdale Gun Club is the dealer of that carries them here and they only had three different models, the 4\" Enforcer that nighthawk bought, a Talon and I forget what the other one was but it was green (I don\'t care for the green finish). The Talon was a great weapon, no doubt, but I just didn\'t like the look that the grooves on top of the slide gave it. I really like the Enforcer or Enforcer II. :kay:

Bumper, in your mind, is the Ti frame upgrade worth the extra coin???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links