I think I know the answer but?

This is a discussion on I think I know the answer but? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Holger How so? If "the time" comes to use it, by definition, your life is at risk. Someone is about to either ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I know the answer but?

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    How so? If "the time" comes to use it, by definition, your life is at risk. Someone is about to either kill you or cause grievous bodily harm, right? What do you have to lose by trying an untested/unfamiliar firearm? I've only put 10 rds through a 1911 and don't own one, but if one was handy in a life-threatening situation, I'd certainly attempt to employ it and wouldn't consider it dangerous.

I think it unwise to pass on a gun...any gun...in a life-threatening situation. I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand your reasoning.
    My reasoning is, if a BG has you at gunpoint, he may or may not be willing to take your life. It is assumed that he will. If you pull a gun on him and can't operate it, you are definitely getting shot. Also, the amount of time it can take you to pull the gun then hesitate to operate it can cause you to lose your life. You need to be well versed with the firearm you choose to carry. One should be able to draw, aim and fire in less than two seconds. It would be different with a revolver, but there wasn't a specific gun mentioned.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    Would you carry a firearm that you have never fired if it was your only option? If not, why? Someone I know has suggested that they would since, in their thinking, it's better than not having one if they needed it. I do not agree at all, but wanted some other thoughts.
    Yes, I did every time when I worked for the government and checked a weapon out of the armory prior to traveling to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.. testing prior to heading out wasn't an option. For the M9, I'd look over the barrel, locking block, slide, etc. and hoped everything would work if I ever needed it. Similar for the M16 or M4.

As a civilian, I probably would as something is better than nothing and the likelihood that you would actually need it is pretty slim, but that also depends on the piece, the ammo and how reliable I consider it. Glock, XD, M&P, etc. would probably be okay. Other, older designs I wouldn't trust so much.

DCR
    If I absolutely had to I would. If it didn't function at least it could be used as a small striking weapon! :D

Dry fire testing

If you have a NIB gun, even if you can't get to the range, you can still do some dryfire testing to familiarize yourself with operating your gun. Cock the hammer, or rack the slide, operate the safety if there is one, pull the trigger, practice drawing from concealment. These are all things you can do without shooting it. In fact, you should do all this BEFORE you ever fire it anyway! You will feel much more confident and cut down on any surprises before shooting.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Only if it was a wheel gun or a Glock!
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Never. Without confirming proper safe functionability, there's a chance it will not function, or not function safely when you engage to discharge.

Always test fire a weapon and become proficient with it before it becomes a carry piece.

Just my two copper Lincolns.
    I agree...honestly if I had one gun and never fired it I'd be at the range the next day or that day to fire it. In the meantime I have my Emerson Knife at all times.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

In a battlefield pick up type situation, there's really no other choice other than certain death if you don't.

Other than that, I don't see a civilian situation where you can't at least have the opportunity for function testing.

In a civil unrest or riot situation, (similar to a battlefield pick up) I may fire a couple rounds at a safe target to get a feel for accuracy however, the only ammo available is probably just the ammo in the gun at the time. Other than that, the only reason I would have a pick up weapon was to assist me in escaping from the entire situation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    If you have a NIB gun, even if you can't get to the range, you can still do some dryfire testing to familiarize yourself with operating your gun. Cock the hammer, or rack the slide, operate the safety if there is one, pull the trigger, practice drawing from concealment. These are all things you can do without shooting it. In fact, you should do all this BEFORE you ever fire it anyway! You will feel much more confident and cut down on any surprises before shooting.
    That's the right answer. If for whatever reason he has to delay going to the range, he should be dry firing, function testing, etc at home with it. If it's used he should do a thorough break down and inspection of the weapon as well to look for potential problems. I wouldn't take a weapon out, that I didn't at least have the competence to do the above with first.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    ...since they got their permit I also assume they had to qualify.
    Not familiar with CT's requirements for a permit (OP's location), but where I'm from it's 10 bucks and a clean record; having ever actually touched a firearm is not required. So, this guy may also need, in a addition to range time, someone who knows what they are doing to look at the weapon.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I'm currently carrying a Beretta 92FS that I've never fired. I changed theaters and have qualified for the year, so haven't been able to weasel my way out to the range, yet. Not like I have a choice.

I wouldnt like it but Iwould carry it if I had no other choice......but like everyone else has said......and I think this is really just common sense....function test, GET to the range, etc. etc......Obviously, some guns would make me more comfortable in this situation than others.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Revolver, probably. Glock, NIB yes, used maybe, after a function/safety check.
    Any gun I'm not familiar with enough to use, could actually increase the likelyhood of getting me killed while I fumble and curse.
    I bought a Polish P-64 9x18mak not long ago. It's so very different from my Glock, I would never consider carrying it until it seems second nature at the range.

I would spend the time that you probably already have writing and reading the replies, by driving way out in the country somewhere, or a range and shoot it!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

If I weren't familiar enough with it to operate it, I would dry fire and get comfortable ASAP. I would hand cycle enough ammo through it to at least try and find major problems, then pencil test, and hope for the best. Not a great plan but if there is no choice...

re

as long as it will pass my inspection heck yes - any gun i have ever bought i have never fired until i bought it - lol
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Administrator
    "Would you carry a firearm that you have never fired if it was your only option?"

As a last resort & an only option? ~ Of Course....absolutely I would.
    That would be since it's possible to function check any firearm without actually firing it.

As a last resort and as my only option...I'd carry a Hi-Point or a Junk Jennings or a 50 year old imported "Saturday Night Special" in .22 SHORT over no firearm at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links