I think I know the answer but?

This is a discussion on I think I know the answer but? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you carry a firearm that you have never fired if it was your only option? If not, why? Someone I know has suggested that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I know the answer but?

I think I know the answer but?

Would you carry a firearm that you have never fired if it was your only option? If not, why? Someone I know has suggested that they would since, in their thinking, it's better than not having one if they needed it. I do not agree at all, but wanted some other thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know why that would be your only option, but if the choice was no gun or one that wasn't fired, I would pick the gun. Since I own more than one gun, I would never carry a new or used gun that I did not test personally with 300 rounds.

los
    Never. Without confirming proper safe functionability, there's a chance it will not function, or not function safely when you engage to discharge.

Always test fire a weapon and become proficient with it before it becomes a carry piece.

Just my two copper Lincolns.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

For me personally, I would have to take it out and get familiar with a new firearm before I carried it. IMO it's just not prudent to carry a firearm that you're not familiar with. This could be a recipe for disaster if the time came where you needed to use it.

However, it could be different if you're used to a certain type of platform. For example, I only own Glocks for now and am very familiar with how they operate, not much to it, point and shoot. So I'd be a little more comfortable buying a new glock such in 10mm or .40 cal and carrying it right away. On the flip side, I've never owned a 1911 and have no experience in shooting one. I'd have to take that out to the range and familiarize myself with it before I'd even consider carrying it.

That's my .02 cents about that.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    Would you carry a firearm that you have never fired if it was your only option? If not, why? Someone I know has suggested that they would since, in their thinking, it's better than not having one if they needed it. I do not agree at all, but wanted some other thoughts.
    Had to read your question again. My answer is NO. Not if I was not allowed to at least function and safety check it.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

My EDC is my last resort. If it comes to that AND it was my ONLY option, I'd rather have an iffy last resort than no last resort at all. Since the original question was "that you had never fired", then I would answer yes. I would of course make myself familiar with its operation before carrying.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

a little more background. Said person does have some experience with firearms, but has just got their permit and bought a used Kahr 40S&W the same day, and has been carrying it when they are able to. They fully intend to bring it to the range to give it a run through, but until then, they figure best to carry it.

A used anything...no.

A NIB pistol from a very short list of manufacturers...yes.

(And that's only if I had no other choice)
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    A used anything...no.

A NIB pistol from a very short list of manufacturers...yes.

(And that's only if I had no other choice)
    Ditto. New guns are fired before being shipped out. That is no guarantee, but better than used, untried.

I would if I had no other gun to carry.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

los
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Ditto. New guns are fired before being shipped out. That is no guarantee, but better than used, untried.
    Good point.

But some, if not most, gun [semi-auto] manufacturers suggest a break-in period of a few hundred rounds before the weapon reaches optimum reliability.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

As in 'planning ahead'? No!

As in 'a last resort', trouble is at your doorstep? Yes! Better with a weapon that I'm unsure of...then no weapon at all.

If there is any time at all for checking out the weapon's worthiness...by all means, do so.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Strange thread, but the news doesn’t start for another 20-minutes, so what the heck. If the gun were a decent brand revolver then I suppose I would.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Heck yea I would carry it. Your telling me you would just go unarmed and leave the gun youve never fired in the safe. Not me.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

a little more background. Said person does have some experience with firearms, but has just got their permit and bought a used Kahr 40S&W the same day, and has been carrying it when they are able to. They fully intend to bring it to the range to give it a run through, but until then, they figure best to carry it.
    IMO, if the person wasn't carrying before today, what's another day or two until they can test fire, sight in, and familarize themselves with the function and reliability of the firearm. You've already stated that they're only presently carrying when they are able to, whatever that means. The decision to carry for me is a commitment to either do or don't. Tell them to get it to the range and then carry always, or buy a firearm they will carry, always.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links