Who has a Kel-tec PF9?

This is a discussion on Who has a Kel-tec PF9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here have one of these or ever shot one? What did you think of it? I just got to look at one yesterday and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who has a Kel-tec PF9?

Who has a Kel-tec PF9?

Anyone here have one of these or ever shot one? What did you think of it? I just got to look at one yesterday and thought that it was pretty cool. It felt real good in my hand and only $309.00 too!
    I was out with my sister looking for a carry gun for her when we found it. I also got to handle a DB380 with a bright stainless slide...I just may need two more guns now.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Kept mine six months, 300+ break-in rounds, numerous FTF/FTE: in its defense, I may have been limp-wristing but it malfunctioned even with a two hand grip. Hated it! Traded it! Got a Glock 26.

However, on the KelTec forum and on others; many owners love them. It's a handful of recoil but does conceal well. Good luck if you get one.

There are a lot of reviews on the PF9 if you search the forum. It seems that people here either love their PF9 or hate them and have had to send them back or just sold them off.

I am considering getting a PF9 too, but there is some bad "press" on them on this forum and it makes me hesitant. If you get one I'd love to hear about your experience with one.

Even with the "bad press" on them you will never hear anything bad about their customer service. If something is wrong they will make it right. I have one, it's in my pocket at I type. It's now my main carry gun. I like just being able to slip it in my pocket and go.
    As far as shooting it, it's a gun you shoot little and carry alot. The recoil can be harsh for some in such a light and slim pistol. Use the supplied finger extension, it will help quite a bit. I put them on all my mags.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I have one about 400 rounds or so I guess threw it. Only FTE twice. That was when my then 13 year old daughter shot it and limp wristed it. It has never failed me with Winchester white box or Remington golden Sabre's.

It is one of my favorite carry's now. So otherwise I like mine very much. Have a Glock 26 also that I like but like the PF9 just as much and its half as thick making it quite easy to conceal.

I love mine, as far as bad press....run a poll u might be surprised how positive people are on them. the bad reviews on here have been from one or two posters.....alot of posts, but same couple people...
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member
    I have the p11, and have had no problem with it.
    Bought it in July '09, 5-600 rounds through with no hicups.
    The older pistols from K tec were touch and go, ( before 2008) I believe
    I did not "fluff and buff" as has been suggested to do prior to shooting on K tec forums.
    Cleaned it and shot it.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Yes and put a few hundred rounds of ammo thru it and never had a issue. I carry it in a Crossbreed super tuck and you don't even know it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    Who has a Kel-tec PF9?
    I love mine. It's light, easy to conceal, and 9mm is preferable over .380. Mine has not had a single malfunction (knock on wood), it has been 100% since the day I bought it.

Also, its relatively good looking, compared to Kel-Tec's other pistols (which are UGLY).

aag
    I have one; carry it when need something lighter/thinner than G26, or when need to pocket carry.

Unlike the .380 Keltec, that I had and sold, since I didn't want to ship it back for repair and then deal with finding the ammo for it, PF9 has been 100% reliable. WWB and Blazer go through without any problems, it was, however, somewhat picky about SD ammo. After a few trials, settled for Hydrashok and Hornady Critical Defense -- these seem to have no problems at all.

The plastic is rough (rubber overgrip and some sand paper made it much better, though still not ideal), the slide is prone to rust (unless you have a hard chrome one). It shoots much better (for me) than any other Keltec (including P11) that I tried. NOT a fun range gun, after 50 rounds you start feeling it.

To sum it up, a good gun for the money, though not without shortcomings.

My PF-9

I love mine. It's light, easy to conceal and IS my EDC in a Don Hume holster. It's true, like many new entries this model had problems the first year of existance but they are all worked out now. I had to send mine back for updates (bought it used) and it's been a real winner ever since. It feels good, shoots good and nary a problem since I tried out Kel Tec's excellent customer service way back when. I also have the Crimson Trace on mine and it adds to the look of the weapon. I don't care for the trigger sas much as other guns but as my EDC I'm not going to be concerned about it if I have to use it in an altercation. $309 is a good price, if you have trouble finding one I've seen several at gun shops recently. Good Luck!
    Glock 32 & 27
    Kimber Ultra & Crimson
    Ruger SR9c
    Kahr PM9
    Sig P238

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Got a new one several years ago, did the "fluff and buff" right away as detailed on the ktog.org website. For about the first couple hundred rounds I'd get the occasional stovepipe or failure to feed when shooting one handed. Lately it's been performing flawlessly; one handed, two handed, upside down, sideways. I can't even get it to jam. It has become my primary carry piece.

I carried one for about two years and loved it. Mine was flawless through over 2,000 rounds. Small and light and easy to conceal. As accurate as any gun that small can be. The two big drawbacks for me were the long, heavy DA trigger pull and the harsh recoil.

I've had such good luck with them & I just keep accumulating them. Oldest one on left is one of first 260 made, has close to 2000rds. Second one on right was bought late '07 and around 1500 rds. Newest and best finished/fitted in middle bought late last year and only has about 500rds. None ever sent back. I kinda like em.

gtv
    I love mine. So far, only had one FTE, and this with several hundred rounds through it. And it has fired every load I have tried, unlike some other pistols I have had. I usually keep it loaded with Corbon PowerBall 100 gr. +P (KT says they are rated for +P, but not recommended for "continuous use"). Recoil is snappy, but you get accustomed to it... trigger is long, but it obviates the need for a safety, so no issue for me there. Recommend it highly.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links