Choices choices...

This is a discussion on Choices choices... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to get a carry piece. I fondled a Kahr pm40 and I really liked it. Trying to decide between that and a M&P. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choices choices...

Choices choices...

I need to get a carry piece. I fondled a Kahr pm40 and I really liked it. Trying to decide between that and a M&P. Any thoughts? Both in 40 by the way.

2. Remove Ads

M&P is larger. Are you willing to carry the larger pistol? I'd recommend the M&P because it won't need as much break-in time or any at all. I've fired both and I can't say the Kahr is comfortable. Although it's intended purpose is not the range. I know a guy who had a Kahr pm40 which he could not get running properly, jammed a lot. Even after a trip back to the factory. I'm sure there's other reports on the net about them and having no issues at all. Such is the nature of firearms. The M&P holds more rounds if I'm not mistaken as well. Consider that too.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I carry a PM40 and love it. I decided on that particular model because I liked the thin profile (thanks to the single stack mag). I'm not a very big guy, so I worried that I wouldn't be able to conceal a very big gun. I handled a XD40 subcompact, but even that seemed bulky to me. There is that trade-off between more compact and more rounds tho.

As far as reliability goes, seems to me the word on the street is give the PM40 ~200 rounds to get broken in a little. I'd have to agree with that. I had 2 jams during that break in period but no problems since. It eats any type of ball ammo I try in it and handles my SD rounds just fine (Hornady Tap).

re

just curious why you narrowed it down to those two?
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

I don't really know...I like both. I have an XD 45 in the 4in, but its too bulky for me. I wanted something with a thinner profile, I looked at New Agents and Defenders, they're just more expensive. I even kicked around the idea of a revolver. I do like the PX4 subcompact, but wanted a 40 or 45....they're only available in 9 right now that I can find, and they're thicker too. I'm open for suggestions, what ya got for me? I'm a bigger dude(fat) so I wanted something lighter so it doesn't pull my drawers down.LOL Here in TX there isn't a need for more than a t shirt most of the time.

I'm also looking for a nice carry gun but in 9mm. I'm leaning toward the Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by FullSizeMike View Post
    I don't really know...I like both. I have an XD 45 in the 4in, but its too bulky for me. I wanted something with a thinner profile, I looked at New Agents and Defenders, they're just more expensive. I even kicked around the idea of a revolver. I do like the PX4 subcompact, but wanted a 40 or 45....they're only available in 9 right now that I can find, and they're thicker too. I'm open for suggestions, what ya got for me? I'm a bigger dude(fat) so I wanted something lighter so it doesn't pull my drawers down.LOL Here in TX there isn't a need for more than a t shirt most of the time.
    I'm in FL, shorts and T-shirt about all year round right...

I carry a G23. It's not the holster or the gun pulling your pants down, I'm betting it's the belt. Can't stress how necessary a good gun belt is.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

re

hence the name "full size"

it gonna come down to what you like and what feels good in yer paw mike..

if weight is a factor on the gun i'll leave it to the guys who carry those
    being a steel frame guy anything i would suggest in 40 would be to heavy and we certainly don't want you to lose your drawls
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

If you knew what I knew about Glocks it might broaden your horizons. I absolutely love the .40cal by the way. I'm just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If you knew what I knew about Glocks it might broaden your horizons. I absolutely love the .40cal by the way. I'm just sayin'.
    +1 Ram Rod.

I've got an XD sub compact and love it too... But my G-23 is my "go to" gun!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I'd go with the M&P,
    but you said you were looking for something thinner than what you already had, so?, I dunno
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FullSizeMike View Post
    If you're looking for smaller/thinner, the M&P will not be the one.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Honestly, I'd get both, and not just because that's what everyone says when someone mentions a choice between two guns.

Rather, I'd get both because they're such different sizes.

There are times when you can conceal a slighty larger gun, and it feels nice having the option. Other times, the smaller gun becomes necessary because of circumstance, and it's much better to have the option than have to do without.

Think about your day to day life and see if that makes sense for you, but I think for most of us it does.

Before you buyd...look at the Glocks! It costs nothing to look.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

G27 first, The 40 in that PM model can be snappy and rather punishing to the gun from what I hear. I would look towards maybe a P239 or Walther PPS.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links