Three excellent handguns, each for $399...

This is a discussion on Three excellent handguns, each for $399... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had both the CZ and Kahr. For me it would be no question, CZ. I did like the Kahr and it functioned flawlessly, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three excellent handguns, each for $399...

I have had both the CZ and Kahr. For me it would be no question, CZ. I did like the Kahr and it functioned flawlessly, and was a very comfortable gun to carry but the CZ is almost perfect!

2. Remove Ads

I've owned & shot various Kahrs and owned a CZ P01 and have shot full size SR9s and handled the SR9C. Best trigger in the trio is the SR9C. I have owned 4 CZs and really like them. I am not found of the Kahr trigger design for personal ergonomic reasons. If it were me I would get the P01 and ask Angus Hobdell at CZ to remake the P01 int a Single Action with the CZ straight Single Action trigger if possible, or at least get a 85 trigger. I really dislike the extreme recurve triggers.

Craig

Chamber indicater, I don't need it but it's there no biggie. But the rest is pure joy love the feel and the trigger pull. Shoot one you'll like it. Made in the USA. too
    Do the others have a fully adjustable rear site? Ruger SR9c My EDC

I've owned the CW9 and the P01 and sold both
    The Kahr dropped mags and could not be made to stop , so its not for me.
    Tha P01 is one of the best guns in the world today IMO
    but it was a little too big for me to conceal so its out for me as well.
    That leaves the SR9C, the only reason I don't have one is my G26 is
    so close to the same size and is working just fine.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member
    I shot the SR9 (not the compact version) and the CW9 today at the range - not mine but friends guns or rentals.

I was completely unimpressed with the Ruger. Felt funny, acted funny, and my shooting was totally terrible, all over the place at close range.

The CW9 had a MUCH bigger kick than some others I shot today, much more akin to the LCP, really nasty I thought. And the gun itself just seemed rough. Sure it's thin. But I was very terrible at close range too, really hard to get back on target.

I held the CZ, it seemed nice. So that's my pick.

(not just an off day, I did really well with a few other brands, Glock 17 and 19 as well as a few Sigs).

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrinblujns View Post
    Chamber indicater, I don't need it but it's there no biggie. But the rest is pure joy love the feel and the trigger pull. Shoot one you'll like it. Made in the USA. too
    Do the others have a fully adjustable rear site? Ruger SR9c My EDC
    I agree made in the USA....it used to mean something, Quality and performance and reliability wise...wait and price wise... Ruger will hang with and surpass any Czechoslovakian firearm or any other foreign maker.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Without reservation, the CZ is, by far, the superior choice.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd probably buy the CZ.
    Me too.

CZ,cause Czech weapons are good s**t. that particular one passed NATO tests which make ours look like crap. solid.

VIP Member
    No hesitation for me, CZ P-01. I have the P-01 along with the P-06, 75 Compact, 2 RAMI's and a CZ82. The ergonomics of the CZ are superior to Ruger. The Kahr just doesn't come anywhere close to feeling right to me.

The P-01 is an alloy framed gun. It will also accept the full size CZ 75 16 round magazine.

Ruger will hang with and surpass any Czechoslovakian firearm or any other foreign maker.
    While I like Ruger, I don't think they can match the P-01 for durability. I'd like to see them put their gun against the torture test the P-01 went through for NATO certification.

CZ-USA -> CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Kahr for me
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    Ruger will hang with and surpass any Czechoslovakian firearm or any other foreign maker.
    I own several Ruger firearms, mostly revolvers and I am a fan of Ol' Bill's company but their semi's are not in the same league with CZ.......not even close.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by DZcarry View Post
    Let's say you walked into a gun shop and you saw the Ruger SR9c, Kahr CW9 and a used CZ75 P01 all marked at $399. How would you go about deciding which one to get? Which of the three would come out on top?

Limits:
    You can ONLY choose one.
    All three fit your hand well though in different ways.
    You shoot each one well.
    You are of average build and plan to carry it strong side at 3:30-4 o'clock.

Your turn...

NB: The "get whatever fits you best blah blah blah" chorus can feel free to sit this one out. If you haven't noticed, I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions. I'm just curious how others might reach a conclusion on the matter, so that's why I'm asking.
    Well, actually, I'd prefer to hold each one first. Some pictures would help.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I would buy a revolver.
    +1

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DZcarry View Post
    I'd heard so many folks going on and on about CZ that I figured it wouldn't hurt to fondle it some. Well, now I can't stop thinking about the darn thing. It was just soooooo comfortable. *sigh*
    Now you know where all that Soviet psychological biochemical warfare stuff went after the USSR broke up. CZ mixes it in with the coating on their pistols. Once held, it penetrates the skin and puts the holder into a non-curable trance that can only be treated with ownership and frequent use.

I think Glock may secretely have gotten hold of that stuff to (according to rumors).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd choose the CZ, closely followed by the Kahr. I generally tend to try to avoid giving money to Ruger because of Bill Ruger's betrayal of gun owners.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links