S&W 1911 ES or Kimber CDP

This is a discussion on S&W 1911 ES or Kimber CDP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I was going to purchase either a Glock 30 or a Kimber Ultra CDP. Decided to go with the G30 due to very mixed ...

Thread: S&W 1911 ES or Kimber CDP

Ok, I was going to purchase either a Glock 30 or a Kimber Ultra CDP. Decided to go with the G30 due to very mixed reviews on the Kimber Ultra size. Went to my gun dealer to try on the G30. Not bad, slightly bigger than my G23. Which I was looking for something actually smaller than G23, but that is not the issue. Issue is, Someone on another post said to look into the CCO size 1911. Now I want that gun and i think it will fit EXACTLY what I want. I saw the S&W 1911ES and the Kimber Compact CDP. Kimber has SOOO many bad reviews along with GREAT reviews. Smith has tons of great reviews, but i cant find much on the ES model. Anyone know anything about that gun or would the Kimber be a better choice??

Kimber Compact CDP = $930 OTD (with night sights)
    S&W 1911ES = $940 OTD (without night sights)
    Bear
    Glock 23
    S&W 6906
    Kimber Pro Carry SLE
    S&W M&P 9MM

Quote Originally Posted by sirgarreth View Post
    Kimber Compact CDP = $930 OTD (with night sights)
    S&W 1911ES = $940 OTD (without night sights)

Great price for the Kimber. I cc an Ultra CDP II in 9mm. She likes to run wet, but if I keep her lubed, she rins like a top.

I have the Kimber Ultra CDP and the Compact CDP...I'd get the Compact.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I absolutely, without a doubt LOVE my Smith ES. Compact frame with a 4.25" (Commander) length slide = perfect carry gun. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Emrah

OD*
    I'd go with the S&W 1911ES.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I love my 1911es and my Kimber Ultra Tac. I haven't shot the 4" Kimber. I don't think you can go wrong with either one though.

I have two Kimber Ultra CDP II's a 45 acp and a 9mm love them both. I have a Kimber Eclipse Custom II and a Pro Carry II also a Kimber Pro Raptor II Stainless on order.They have all been reliable and never given me any problems. No matter what you get, make sure you get a good belt, it makes a difference.

Kimber. I LOVE my CDP II

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I would go with the Smith and Wesson but some say that I'm a little bias
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Old thread.... anyone care to comment on the difference between the S&W 1911ES versus the 1911PD? Thanks.

They are both excellent guns. My new S&W has performed flawlessly with ALL ammo. My Kimbers all shot well but gave me fits to feed JHPs. From my first shot this was not a problem with the S&W. If you will only shoot roundnose and not JHP or reloads I would say that it is a tossup. S&W service is lifetime and 90% of the time excellent.

Differences between the new and old: Larger ejector, better fitted trigger, and a couple more I do not remember. Complaints: night sights excellent at night and in the sun, not so much in dim light. I found the ambi safety wide and unattractive, switched to a single Wilson.

Thumbs up S&w 1911 es

I had the S&W 1911 ES, and it's a beautiful pistol. Very accurate, reliable and well built 45. I sold mine when I purchased an Ed Brown Executive Carry 1911. Great 1911 for the money...

I just posted my "breaking in time" range report of my new ultra CDP II here.
    Anyone who has studied marketing knows that if a buyer has a good experience, they tell approx. 3 people. The buyer that has a bad experience tells 7-10 people. I think these facts are pretty well represented on the internet, where people get online and rant more often than they praise (see any youtube video comment list).

Buy what get's you off and offers you the features you want.

I have an Ultra Carry Series 1 & a CDP Compact Series 1. They run great. After trying five guns for CCW, I like my CDP best when going with a larger gun. If I got a Kimber that gave trouble I would work with them until it was fixed. It seems when a problem arises they seem to be more common with the Series II guns and the three inch barrel guns may be more particular than other sizes. These are my obversations from web reading only. If you go with a four inch gun, you need to upgrade the recoil spring from Wolff. They can tell you which spring is helping to solve some four in. Kimber problems. Do this before problems begin if you are CCing.

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    Old thread.... anyone care to comment on the difference between the S&W 1911ES versus the 1911PD? Thanks.
    1 round. The PD is a straight up Commander type while the ES is a Commander slide on an Officer frame. Went to buy a PD and fell in love with the ES.

I just carry an 8 rd as my reload. Works fine, just sticks out a bit.

Sponsored Links