Hey guys which one

Hey guys which one

This is a discussion on Hey guys which one within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey guys tell me which one you would choose and why. I have a chance to get either a Kahr K40 covert or a Kahr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys which one

Hey guys which one

hey guys tell me which one you would choose and why. I have a chance to get either a Kahr K40 covert or a Kahr MK9. They are within about 20 bucks of each other. If you dont mind give me your choice and why. Thanks joell33

jyo
    personally, I prefer the 9mm---less recoil, one more round on board and cheaper ammo. My wife and I both own the Kahr CW-9 pistols and prefer them over the slightly smaller PM series because of a little longer grip. Good luck with your choice.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I like the MK9. Cheaper ammo and also an extra round. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

I love my .45's over my 9mm's, but I would prefer a 9mm over the .40.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would choose the 9mm for Kahr guns.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I own a Mk. 9 Elite and find it an excellent gun. I have to confess I have no experience with the .40.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    The MK9.

But that is the one I own.

Some folk find the .40 S&W a little harsh in a Kahr.

South Florida, a Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    9 over .40, particularly in small guns, especially in Kahrs...

9mm over .40 better accuracy and capacity. but the .40 is more powerful for knockdown power.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would personally take the steel MK over the polygun with the price not being a factor. Even though I own and occassionally carry some tupperware handguns, a CW9 being one, I would much prefer steel and the MK9 is at the top of my current wish list for IWB carry.

jmo

surv

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I love my .45's over my 9mm's, but I would prefer a 9mm over the .40.
    Not me tbh. After shooting the .40sw round for myself in a gun the same size as one I owned in 9mm I decided .40 was the better choice for a defensive pistol. Don't get me wrong, 9mm is great and I did and would carry one if that was all I was able to but I like the .40 better. I like the .45 better than .40 though. However, I find the .40 just as shootable as 9mm for me. Everyone has different feelings and preferences though.

Anyway given the choice, I'd take nothing less than a caliber that starts with .4 whether it ends in a 0 or a 5. Given the fact that this is a very small auto I would go with the 9mm in a Kahr. Something in the size range of a Glock 26 or 27 or larger then I'd gravitate toward the .40 for a defensive round but 9mm is obviously cheaper if one were going to have only one pistol or ammo prices made an impact on their purchasing decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    9mm over .40 better accuracy and capacity. but the .40 is more powerful for knockdown power.
    I don't like the term "knockdown power" or "stopping power". I've heard from many reliable sources and instructors that everything from .45acp to .357 has failed to stop someone somewhere under some conditions. I also don't think someone will be knocked off their feet like the term suggests. Nothing is guaranteed. I do understand the mindset though, bigger bullet creates a larger wound channel and hot loads dump more energy on target. I've also heard it all about big, fat, heavy rounds penetrating deeper (reaching vitals more reliably). I simply try to avoid the term and explain the more technical aspects of bullet weight and size giving possible deeper penetration and a larger wound channel.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

GM
    My vote goes to the MK9; I have one and it is a great gun.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

9mm over the .40 if you don't already own either.

In a very small handgun, I'd go 9mm. Weighing factors of size, recoil, and capacity in a small handgun I think it wins the overall mix.

Move up to something the size of a Springfield XD sub compact or the baby glocks, and I'd go .40 cal. In the slightly larger size handgun, I don't find the recoil of the .40 to be noticeably more than the 9mm, more accurate than many of my same size 9mm, and my observed damage from informal tests inspires more confidence from the round for me than 9mm. I have no issue with 9mms, I own 3 of them and carry them frequently and only 1 .40.

Most importantly, buy what you can and will shoot well and carry easily. Practice and become proficient with it. If a given weapon meets your needs and you can use it well, then you're well prepared...regardless of caliber.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    In a very small handgun, I'd go 9mm. Weighing factors of size, recoil, and capacity in a small handgun I think it wins the overall mix.

Move up to something the size of a Springfield XD sub compact or the baby glocks, and I'd go .40 cal. In the slightly larger size handgun, I don't find the recoil of the .40 to be noticeably more than the 9mm, more accurate than many of my same size 9mm, and my observed damage from informal tests inspires more confidence from the round for me than 9mm. I have no issue with 9mms, I own 3 of them and carry them frequently and only 1 .40.

Most importantly, buy what you can and will shoot well and carry easily. Practice and become proficient with it. If a given weapon meets your needs and you can use it well, then you're well prepared...regardless of caliber.
    agree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links