Should I trade my M&P for a Kahr PM9 ??

This is a discussion on Should I trade my M&P for a Kahr PM9 ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a full size M&P 9mm that I bought for home defense. Since that time I have obtained my CHL. To me the M&P ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I trade my M&P for a Kahr PM9 ??

Should I trade my M&P for a Kahr PM9 ??

I have a full size M&P 9mm that I bought for home defense.

Since that time I have obtained my CHL. To me the M&P is too large to carry comfortably.

I'm thinking of trading my M&P for the Kahr PM9. My thoughts are that the PM9 can be carried, and will be suitable for home defense also.

Any thoughts Pro or Con out there ???

Thanks !!

2. Remove Ads

The PM9 is a great pistol. It's so small it'll disappear, but its still a great shooting gun. It's super accurate, reliable and sexy. Be sure you break the gun in with at least 200 rounds, and dont be dissapointed if you get some failures. These guns are tight, and do need to be broken in. Visit the Kahr forum (kahrtalk.com) for proper new kahr procedure. It's worth following. I've got over 1000 rounds through mine and after the first 200, it hasnt missed a beat. If I had to pick ONE gun for every day carry, home defense etc... it would be a PM9. The only con I can think of is the price....they are a little expensive, but worth every penny.

Well, I will probably get flamed for this but here goes.

YES, trade it!

Now more serious info. No, keep it, you always can have a need for a good quality full size gun, and the M&P surely fills that void. I would say, save to buy your "carry gun", for me that is usually a slim line, single stack such as the PM or a PPS or something smaller for pocket, like a LCP or a j framed revolver.....see where I am heading.....so invariably, if you like handgunning and enkjoy it for both hobby and self protection, then you will add items as you go and will regret selling the M&P, now if you only can have one or afford one, then I would say yes, get what you "will" carry, whatever that is. I say this from experience, I have sold some to get others and then have regretted it, to the point of buying the same model more than once....it is a sickness.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

If you can afford it, I would say keep the bigger gun and get something smaller for carry. Of course, depending on your mode of dress, you may be able to carry the M&P with a good holster.

My experience with Kahr (3 of them, including 2 PM9's) has been very poor. I will never buy another. Others have had better luck. For the high cost, they are too hit-and-miss, IMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I've traded a gun before, and swore I'd never do it again. You loose a lot of value "trading-in".

IMHO, keep the M&P and save for something else. no reason why you shouldnt have more than 1 gun right??
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member
    Have you shot the Kahr yet? I would do that before deciding.

Can you keep the M&P for winter and home use, and get an LCP for pocket carry? About $300.

How about saving for the compact version of the M&P? Then you can share magazines.

I have a Glock 19 (mid-size) and a Glock 26 (sub-compact). Nice to use the larger mags as reloads for the 26.

Just a thought.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    Since that time I have obtained my CHL. To me the M&P is too large to carry comfortably.
    With the new gun:
    • Is there an improvement in reliability?
    • Will there be an improvement in the percentage of time you'll have your firearm with you?
    • Can you easily manipulate and operate each function and button/lever of the firearm?
    • Is the capacity sufficient for your requirements?

If the answers are "yes," then go for it.

IMO, the Kahr PM9 is the best package going, if you can get past the reliability issues that plague some specific examples of the gun. It should certainly be able to protect you, and its size should help ensure you will never find yourself leaving your defensive firearm behind because "it's too big."

But the above comments on the gun are correct, in terms of the PM9 not being a "shooting" gun. If you're looking for a double-duty range monkey, I'd suggest that prolonged firing of the PM9 is going to hurt your hands. But if your sessions with the PM9 are likely to stay under 50rds, it should be fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Have you shot the Kahr yet? I would do that before deciding.

Can you keep the M&P for winter and home use, and get an LCP for pocket carry? About $300.
    What is an LCP ?? (Sorry, newbie here...)

and if the PM9 price is too much check out the CW9, .5" longer, weighs 3 more oz.'s and a bit taller. Carries 7 +1 (1 more than pm9). About $200 less

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    What is an LCP ?? (Sorry, newbie here...)
    LCP - Little Circus Pistol.........

Kidding, Ruger makes a small pocket 380, LCP is the model, I have one and love it, fills a niche for me and many others.

"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Steve, echoing what other posters have said, I agree that if you can afford it, keep the full size M&P too. I have a Kahr PM9 that I has been totally reliable and has become my EDC. I also have a a full size HK USP that I keep as a "house" gun. The Kahr carries 7 rounds with the short mag and 8 with the long mag. My USP carries 16 with the short mag and 19 with the long mag. Giving up the fire power is a reasonable trade off for carry, not so reasonable for a house gun

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    How about saving for the compact version of the M&P? Then you can share magazines.

I have a Glock 19 (mid-size) and a Glock 26 (sub-compact). Nice to use the larger mags as reloads for the 26.

Just a thought.
    10thmtn

The G19 & G26 is a great combo. I use the G19 for winter carry and the G26 in the summer. I have checked out both the PM9 and the CW9. I am however very sweet on that CW9. So is my wife! However I do wonder about its reliability and the break in issues I keep reading about. Seems like for every positive report there is a negative report. I'll end up getting the CW9 and breaking it in for sure. I'm scouting around for the best prices now. If the CW holds up it's end of the bargain my wife will carry it.

kb2wji

Thanks for the heads up on the KahrTalk forums.

SteveB2175

As others have said and this is MO......keep your M&P. You already know that's a solid weapon. Save up and get the Kahr later. No trades. Also, I'm not so sure the PM9 is worth the significant extra buckos. Maybe others can help out here on this topic. You might do just as well with the CW9.

[QUOTE=harley2007;1589732]LCP - Little Circus Pistol.........

Kidding, Ruger makes a small pocket 380, LCP is the model, I have one and love it, fills a niche for me and many others.

LCP - I love it

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, the truth of the matter is that I have a 22lr semi-auto that I am very comfortable with and is easy to carry, but I know how everyone here feels about that...

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I just picked up and M&P 45. Used to own a Kahr and no longer. That's the short answer. I believe that Kahr can make some fine guns, I cannot tolerate their customer service.

The M&P, for me, is a fantastic gun and after only 100 rounds (combined with the comfort and accuracy out of the box) I'm convinced that this one is a definite keeper. And when I called S&W to tell them that the S & L replacement grips that came with it were for a compact, not a mid-size (which I bought) they dropped the new ones in the mail that day. My own experiences with Kahr, they would have called me a liar in an indirect way and I'd still be fighting them. That's the long answer.

DON'T get rid of the M&P.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links