USP Cocked and Locked?

This is a discussion on USP Cocked and Locked? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to carry a USPc as my EDC in a pancake holster cocked and locked. I worked at a gun store at the time, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USP Cocked and Locked?

USP Cocked and Locked?

I used to carry a USPc as my EDC in a pancake holster cocked and locked. I worked at a gun store at the time, and all employees were encouraged to carry. Naturally, I was happy to comply. However, when my employer saw the USP in condition one, he rather sternly told me that if I wanted to carry cocked and locked, I should get a 1911. He also mentioned that any LEO who might see it would react negatively as well. His store, his rules…c’est la vie; but shortly after that, the USP was relegated to HD duty. I have short, stubby fingers, and as much as I love the gun, I can’t sweep the safety off and easily reach the DA trigger without changing my grip. It isn’t like I don’t have other options, but I would like to return the USP to CCW rotation. Years later, I no longer work at the store, so my former bosses policies are not a factor. He was an opinionated cuss anyway, and a 1911 fetishist to boot; which places a pall of suspicion over his advice. He once referred to my 800+ dollar prized possession as a “boat gun” (Alaskan for truck gun). Of course, he carried a Les Baer as his EDC. Anywho, I’ve been left with this niggling doubt in the back of my mind and wanted to cast a wider net for opinions. I was of the impression that the USP was designed with that option in mind. Was my boss a blowhard, or did I commit a faux pas? It would be really great if a LEO or two could chime in. And thanks in advance.
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." -Mohandas K. Gandhi

2. Remove Ads

I'm not an LEO.

However, your boss was a blowhard. There's nothing wrong with carrying a USP C&L--in fact, as you say--it works better for you.

Go with what works.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

re

i would agree - if the weapon equipped as such and you are comfortable and proficient with it in that condition by all means forget the blowhard
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

how did he want you to carry it? loaded, decocked, and safetied?

No LEO here but carry how and what you are proficient with. If that is a USP C&L, then that is what it is. I have a PT1911 and a USP and I carry both C&L. If one was to express concern (unless there was a true safety concern not just a prefference) they'd hear, "you carry your's and I'll carry mine" with a smile of course.

Good Luck. Sam.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    how did he want you to carry it? loaded, decocked, and safetied?
    That's exactly what he had in mind. I suppose his contention was that I wasn't carrying the gun in proper DA/SA fashion.
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." -Mohandas K. Gandhi

I carry a USPc Tactical as my EDC in IWB holster and I carry it cocked and locked, for all the reasons you state. (I have short reach trigger finger also)

Yes, the USP was designed with that option in mind. and YES!! your ex boss was a blowhard in this case.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Hmmm.......isn't that how the USP was designed to be carried?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm a LEO, I don't care how you carry your gun. Carrying it in a safe, responsible manner is your responsibility.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

South Florida, a Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    Blowhard...Arrogant Blowhard...

It's been a while since I handled a USP, however if I recall correctly, it was designed to be carried in either mode. Double action trigger with hammer down or cocked and locked ala 1911 style.

Designed to safely function with either mode of carry.

I'd say the 'ol boss was a blowhard and not quite up on gun designs as he thought he was.

As far as LEO's are concerned, I can't answer that (I'm not an LEO) except that as a logical assumption, as long as it remained holstered, they probably don't care as much as the boss apparently did.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    If you have trouble reaching both the thumb safety and the trigger in DA mode, have you considered carrying decocked with the safety off? That's how I normally carry my USPc.

Cocked and locked is mechanically perfectly safe with the USP, but I'll say this: I've unholstered my gun for the night before and found that the safety had been disengaged unintentionally. This wasn't just a single time either, it's happened several times over the past few years. Maybe it's just my holster (CTAC) or the way I adjust the gun, but it was enough to convince me that DA with the safety off was my preferred carry method.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Agree with Bob the Great -When I carry my HK usp, it's in DA mode, with the safety off. My "safety" in this condition is that my finger is off the trigger. I don't want to have to remember to think about the safety or not. I do this for consistency so it's the same for all my handguns; I don't mind the slightly harder first trigger pull, I really don't notice it when training. Although I think it's up to the owner, in SA mode with safety on, it doesn't take much for the safety to come off and even less for a holster or piece of clothing to catch the trigger and gun goes bang. It's the handler's call...just so he knows exactly what to expect; his responsibility.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

jyo
    Very interesting---I worked at a gun store for many years and was required to carry---my gun of choice at the time (80s & early 90s) was a Browning P35 9mm cocked and locked. After an AD (in the shop-nobody hurt!) by one of the workers and his homesmithed Colt .45 1911, the store owner declared "no single action pistols, no cocked and locked." The only DA/SA pistol I owned at the time was a Walther P5 9mm, carried with the hammer down on a live round. Feeling like 8 rounds could be enough, but more would be better, I purchased a HK USP 9mm (15 rounds) in DA/SA and felt better for having more ammo on board. This pistol was also carried with the hammer decocked on a live round. I then entered a few local "combat matches" just for fun and practice and found that the USP was better at gun games carried C&L---this same pistol is now stashed next to the bed for "operational late night activities" now with the hammer down on a live round---this way either my wife or myself can access the pistol as needed and simply point at "the problem" while operating the DA trigger. The gun is also fitted with HKs light. I never had any problems using the gun either way. Just for the record, this USP has NEVER failed to feed, fire or eject in 16 years! I can recommend them.

I have always carried my USP with the hammer C&L.But it is also safe to carry in double action mode with the safety off.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links