Let's talk inexpensive, yet effective guns!!

This is a discussion on Let's talk inexpensive, yet effective guns!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi there all! I'm no experianced firearm person by no means, but I think we should have a discussion on guns that are good but ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk inexpensive, yet effective guns!!

Hi there all!

I'm no experianced firearm person by no means, but I think we should have a discussion on guns that are good but won't break the bank either. I know the old saying is buy the best (usually most expensive) gun you can afford. Or another view is to save up more money than buy something really nice! While having the newest and greatest of just about anything is nice, it's not always feasable in today's economy/ financial constraints.

I have a nice xd9sc, that was for me an expensive item at the time. If I was to add or buy a new gun, this just isn't possible. With that said, it'd be great if we could list a few options of well known tried and true guns that are inexpensive. When I say inexpensive I don't mean cheap either. I've never owned a hi-point, but from information I've gathered, it's both cheap and junk!

Now I've read more good reviews than bad of the s&w sigma series pistols (glock copies) available in both 9mm and .40 cal. They seem to be a good pistol and sub $300 price range with s&w rebate program. I, honestly would rather see more people able to defend themselves with a quality inexpensive gun, than no gun at all due to financial limitations.

It'd be great if we could compile such information in this thread, for information for those who wish to arm themselves, to have an option. So for those who may need this info, please list the guns you know would fit this criteria.

As always, an armed society is a polite society!!

There is a reason why they don't make the Sigma series anymore...it's now the S&W M&P series of pistols.

Here's the thing...for a decent handgun, you're gonna spend between $400 and $600...either used or new. You don't want a handgun that works "most" of the time...you want something well-designed, made with quality parts, a reliable safety system (active or passive), and accurate.

Do you want to trust your life to something just "good enough"? or something that professionals (military, law enforcement) trust their lives with every day?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    There is a reason why they don't make the Sigma series anymore...it's now the S&W M&P series of pistols.

Here's the thing...for a decent handgun, you're gonna spend between $400 and $600...either used or new. You don't want a handgun that works "most" of the time...you want something well-designed, made with quality parts, a reliable safety system (active or passive), and accurate.

Do you want to trust your life to something just "good enough"? or something that professionals (military, law enforcement) trust their lives with every day?
    What are you talking about? The S&W Sigmas are still being made with no talks on it being axed. You don't need to spend a lot of money to have a good gun. The Sigma is just fine. This statement is from someone that owns a Sigma.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Without trying to further the debate about the Sigma, here is the S&W website still listing the pistol. Category - Polymer Frame

Back to the OP's question. There are good quality pistols that won't break the bank. Depending on what your looking for they can come in a variety of shapes and sizes, both new and used.

What is your top price range? Is it the $300 bucks you state for the Sigma? If this is it, your pretty limited. If you add 100 more bucks you open the field quite a bit, 100 more, up to 500 bucks and man you got lots to choose from.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Don't those folks typically have little or no choice over their duty weapons?
    Hystorically, there isn't a very good track record of the higher-ups picking superb weapons.(M16 A1, early Viet Nam)

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    KelTec IMO are good guns & not as costly as other manuf's.
    For God, Family and Country!

Taurus makes very reliable guns. I know we hear a lot of comments about it's quality but dont we hear them from other manufacturers as well?

This should be added on your list if your looking for something cheaper yet very dependable and reliable gun. Not to mention its lifetime warranty.

This sounds like a job for Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Don't those folks typically have little or no choice over their duty weapons?
    Hystorically, there isn't a very good track record of the higher-ups picking superb weapons.(M16 A1, early Viet Nam)
    Not necessarily...some depts offer a list of "approved" weapons or dictate the minimum caliber to be carried on duty.

My bad (to do due diligence) on the Sigma--I stand corrected.

I'm just saying that hi-point, jennings, and the like--I wouldn't stake my life on....

What is your life worth?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

re

i guess if we are talking about reliability for a reasonable cost i would throw the CZ line of weapons in the pot - $500.00 will buy a reliable weapon from a lot of mfg's though
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

I have had good luck with my Diamondback DB.380. I have heard that some have had issues with theirs. The only issues that I have experienced was with ammo. When I use good ammo, I have no other issues with mine.

The S&W Sigma is a very reliable weapon, the bad talk about them mostly is about the heavy course trigger, not there reliability.
    The SW9VE that I have goes bang every time I pull that heavy course trigger. It is not my favorite hand gun, but it is the best gun for the money.

You can get a Glock 37 in .45GAP delieverd for $379.00 from Guns for Sale. Cant get a better deal than that.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    You can get a Glock 37 in .45GAP delieverd for $379.00 from Guns for Sale. Cant get a better deal than that.
    Bud's had the S&W Sigma for $299.00 before the $50 rebate.
    That would end up costing $249.00 delivered. It may not be a better gun, but it is $130 cheaper, I believe that would make it the better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    Bud's had the S&W Sigma for $299.00 before the $50 rebate.
    That would end up costing $249.00 delivered. It may not be a better gun, but it is $130 cheaper, I believe that would make it the better deal.
    Your probaly right...since the Glock also shoots the oddball .45 GAP cartridge.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links