Kimber, Springfield or ???

This is a discussion on Kimber, Springfield or ??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the fun shop today and a guy was looking at a SW airlite &/or a M&P in .357. After he and the salesperson finished ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber, Springfield or ???

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar

Kimber, Springfield or ???

In the fun shop today and a guy was looking at a SW airlite &/or a M&P in .357. After he and the salesperson finished talking I told him that I had a M&P 340. He offered to buy so I don't know what to do. I could take that money and some more and get a .45 but which one? Which .45 would you get if the deal went through? Thanks,
    SCGunLover1

2. Remove Ads

Springfield Armory, my Son has one. Great Gun.

Love my Springer EMP 9mm actually had it at the range today....have not had a hiccup in 600+ rounds. My Kimber Crimson Carry may go on the auction block as soon as my EB Kobra Carry arrives. Not because of any issues, it just does not get any range time.
    b.

For me, it would be a Kimber or possibly a Dan Wesson Valor. Either one would make me extremely happy.
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Take your pick... Springfield, Kimber, Colt or Dan Wesson. From what I hear ( a pretty respectable gunsmith).... the new Springfields are a pretty good value.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Look at the Rock Island Armory 1911s. Mine, and most every one you read about, eats everything it is fed. Best value on a quality 1911 out there today. If that is not an option you'd consider, I would go for the Springfield. Quality and reputation are great. I won't get into the Kimber discussion. All I'll say is they are pretty guns.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

My opinion, based soley upon my personal experience...

If you want a 1911 & are choosing between Kimber and Springfield, it is a crap shoot. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that had issues when it was new. Ultimately, it went back to Kimber and is now 100%. FWIW, I found Kimber's customer service to be great.

I recently purchased a Springfield LW Champion Bi-Tone. The Springer was being sold on consignment as a new gun having been purchased by the original owner +/- 4 years ago, put in the safe & never fired. It had a couple of issues with ball ammo early on, but had major issues with almost any JHP ammo I tried. Now, after some 500+ rounds of ball ammo & some tweaking, it has been running at 100%.

If you want a tough, reliable, accurate 45 ACP & it doesn't have to be a 1911, get a Glock 36 & don't look back!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Being a 1911 guy, I applaud your good taste. But let me add this; I recently picked up a M&P mid sized 45 and my first range day was a dream. And I shot it better than my 1991. Surprised and embarrassed. In any case, don't leave that out of consideration. Fine gun.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I would go for the Springer any day of the week over a Kimber. I'll never deal with those jerks in Yonkers, NY again.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

re

springer to me seems a lot more forgiving in general - kimbers are great i like them but their tolerances and so close they can be finicky sometimes - i vote springer loaded
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Be sure to factor Springfield's excellent customer service into your selection process.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

kimber is a better gun than the springer

re

^^^ thats a profound statement - care to elaborate in what ways??
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

My vote is for the Springfield.

I have a Kimber and two Springers. The Kimber is a lightweight 4" and has never bobbled a round once I got rid of the lousy magazine that came with it (I use Wilson and Tripps instead).

I have two full-size Springfields, a basic one that's 20 years old and a 1-year old TRP. Both needed minor throating work to reliably feed everything I feed 'em, but these would be the last handguns I would get rid of.

My reservation about Kimbers is that all but the SIS models use the Swartz firing pin safety system, a complexity that solves a nearly non-existent problem. Springfields are blessedly free of Series 80, Swartz and other firing pin safeties which keep lawyers happier than gunsmiths.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Umm all good choices. I myself would stay with springer. Love all of mine. I have had Kimbers, traded or sold. I have never parted with a springer. They just work. Great Value. Even a G.I. or Mill-Spec. looks and feels like more gun then your paying for. Kimbers, yea there nice, I feel there is more money in there name then in the product itself. I can't imagine spending money on the kimber over the Springer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links