Plinker

This is a discussion on Plinker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMHO, for a .22 handgun, a revolver is the way to go - especially if you want to shoot the cheap "brick" bulk ammo....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plinker

IMHO, for a .22 handgun, a revolver is the way to go - especially if you want to shoot the cheap "brick" bulk ammo.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I was Just thinking this very cunnundrum this morning. SO, I was looking on gun broker and have deduced that I will be in search of either
    A. colt huntsman
    B. ruger Mk 1, 2 or 3
    C. browning buckmark,,,,,(leaning heavily toward this
    D. Ruger standard
    Or In the wheelgun catagory, these,,
    A. EAA Bountyhunter, (can have Cylinders for .22 and.22mag
    B. Ruger bearcat
    C. Ruger single six (can also have cyl. in .22 and .22mag

GOOD POST!

Mark Twain:
    Always do right--this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    message to Young People's Society, Greenpoint Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, New York, February 16, 1901
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

+1 for the S&W 22A. I have one with a 7"barrel and a red dot,it's a tack driver! I also have one iron sights with a 5"barrel. Lifetime warranty,easy to clean and reliable. Pretty reasonably priced too. S&W has a set of custom wood grips that look great on the 22A.

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Another ruger fan here. Sure its not the easiest to strip down, but its reasonably priced (got my 22/45 target model under 300 OTD with 500 rounds of 22), stupidly accurate, and insane amounts of fun to shoot.

Watch the Youtube videos on how to strip it down, and take your time.

I love mine personally
    I've seen those jam as well at Steel Challenge matches after only two stages (maybe 60 rounds total). I think those who have these pistols need to clean after every stage while the rest of us shooting major calibers are penalized with drawing from the holster as opposed to starting with a low hold. At first I felt sorry for the 22lr shooters and their problems at the match with the well known brands of pistols. I don't any more. For $300 I think I'll be getting the Walther P22 that I've witnessed make it through all six stages without a simple cleaning without a hitch. The extra magazines for the P22 however cost more than I allow myself to think about! what's up with that?
    Oh...by the way....I appreciate all of those whom have spoken up for the Walther P22 so far. It sort of reinforces my thoughts, and what I've seen out of it, and my gut instincts have already told me. I love my Ruger 10/22s, but this isn't a dedication to a brand name when it comes down to an overall best 22lr semi-auto pistol for everything I'd use one for. In my silly thoughts of finding a do it all 22lr semi-auto pistol for $200 or less, I've seem to have forgotten that sometimes you do get what you pay for, and what I want aint gonna be cheap.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    I'm now looking for a good .22LR plinker. I want to stick with auto and I want fairly simple take down and reassembly. I liked the feel of the Sig Mosquito but the online reviews made me back away, same with the Walther P22. I've owned a Ruger Mark II and I really don't want another. The Beretta 87 might be an option but before I would spend that for a .22 I'd want a lot of feedback. Thoughts?
    Good is the key word,
    ...with simple takedown/reassembly

Maybe the "best buy" available is the Beretta NEOS. At about $225, on sale somewhere, it is a very competent pistol if you can get past the space age appearance.

The Buckmark, any model, may be a good choice, a very nice gun. My Field 5.5 rivals my target guns for accuracy.

The Beretta 87 is a very nice, well made gun, but pricey and the mag is limited to 7 rounds. May as well buy a revolver. At $600, it should hold 10 rounds and be reliable. They are gorgeous, that's a fact.

My personal favorite plinker is the hard to find Daewoo DP52 (a Walther PP clone... only better). If you can find one, it is a marvelous gun in every way...it feels so good, works so well. Made of carbon steel...not zinc. If you can find one, usually under $300, it is a best buy IMHO. The only fault is that it is a right handed gun only.

I'd stay away from the Bersa/Firestorm FS22. I had one that was a total waste of time. Poor quality, unreliable, cheap all over.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I was Just thinking this very cunnundrum this morning. SO, I was looking on gun broker and have deduced that I will be in search of either
    A. colt huntsman
    B. ruger Mk 1, 2 or 3
    D. Ruger standard
    B. Ruger bearcat
    I've got a Ruger Standard, and I like it. Its got several thousand rounds through it. Last Tuesday I put 600-700 rounds of Federal Bulk .22lr through it with no failures. Later, when I tore it down for cleaning, I discovered that at some point the rebound spring support had broken. Gun kept working. New support ($2.00) should ship from Ruger today.

As far as teardown/reassembly. Teardown is easy. Read the manual, watch some of the videos online, and practice, and reassembly becomes easy as well.

I like the Ruger 22/45 one of my friends has. Not always 100% reliable, but extremely accurate.

I'm looking into getting either a Beretta U22 Neo, or a S&W 22A. Kinda leaning toward the Beretta.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Love my Dads Ruger it is very accurate ....however my P-22 is my lil fun gun.

I love it and am teaching my Daughter to shoot it. it is alot lighter and with the 3 dot sights, it translates well to my full size pistols.
    , I have shot thousands of rounds thru it.

Buddy of mine had a very nice buckmark before his divorce(wife took it) and it was also very accurate, we would shoot the flowers off the tops of lily pads at his pond.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    A. colt huntsman
    B. ruger Mk 1, 2 or 3
    D. Ruger standard
    B. Ruger bearcat

GOOD POST!

Mark Twain:
    Always do right--this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    message to Young People's Society, Greenpoint Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, New York, February 16, 1901
    Dont rule out the Heritage SA Rough rider....just like the single six at half the price....i love mine BUT my Walther p-22 takes the prize as far as FUN
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I forgot to mention in my first post. The buckmark will eat crap brick ammo no problem. I know this can be an issue with some .22 pistols.

Dont forget about revolvers, my dad has one that has a nice crisp trigger and a good feel.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I have three favorite plinkers; my Mark II, my Taurus revolver, and a Beretta Bobcat. Since you don't want a Ruger, and want a semi instead of a revolver, you may wish to look into the Bobcat. It holds 7+1, and it's light and easy on the hands, and fun to play with.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I own a P22 and am very happy with it. After a few hiccups early on, it pretty much keeps going now a days. I clean it roughly every 1000 rounds or so.

The Buckmark looks seriously cool though and I would have bought one of those if I wanted something simply for plinking. I was looking for something to stand in for my full sized auto with cheaper ammo.

I just happen to shoot a Sig Mosquito yesterday (along with a full auto Mac-10 with a .22 conversion kit and suppressor!!!) and must say.....it sucked! Aside from the constant stove piping and FTEs, the trigger was absolute crap. It had a false break point and a false reset - and a rather pronounced one at that - that just made it terrible. Perhaps this one was just a fluke. The owner said he never has problems with it but everyone else that shoots it gets limp wrist symptoms.

P22 or Buckmark would get my vote.

+1 on the Buck Mark

" In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've seen those jam as well at Steel Challenge matches after only two stages (maybe 60 rounds total). I think those who have these pistols need to clean after every stage while the rest of us shooting major calibers are penalized with drawing from the holster as opposed to starting with a low hold. At first I felt sorry for the 22lr shooters and their problems at the match with the well known brands of pistols. I don't any more. For $300 I think I'll be getting the Walther P22 that I've witnessed make it through all six stages without a simple cleaning without a hitch. The extra magazines for the P22 however cost more than I allow myself to think about! what's up with that?
    Oh...by the way....I appreciate all of those whom have spoken up for the Walther P22 so far. It sort of reinforces my thoughts, and what I've seen out of it, and my gut instincts have already told me. I love my Ruger 10/22s, but this isn't a dedication to a brand name when it comes down to an overall best 22lr semi-auto pistol for everything I'd use one for. In my silly thoughts of finding a do it all 22lr semi-auto pistol for $200 or less, I've seem to have forgotten that sometimes you do get what you pay for, and what I want aint gonna be cheap.
    Not doubting you that they can jam... Mine hasnt yet but the most I've put through it between cleanings is about 400 rounds.
    That said its scary accurate. I can shoot plastic easter eggs at 30 yards free hand with it with a great repeatability.

I honestly shoot as well free hand with my ruger pistol as some of my friends do standing with their 22 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I love my Sig Mosquito, using CCI Mini Mags, and Stingers, it has been flawless. It's a 90% scale of basically the Sig P220, or any other in the Sig "classic" line. Great to shoot, easy to tear down, and Sig accurate.
    Yup, stick with the CCI Mini Mags (I haven't tried the Stingers yet) and you won't have any problems. Also, the newer Mosquitos come with a second spring that I believe is a little lighter to help deal with inferior ammo. I haven't tried the second spring yet because I have had NO FAILURES with CCI ammo.

The Mosquito is a great training gun (functions just like a full-sized auto) and fun to plink with. Highly recommended if you can afford to feed it it's preferred diet.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links