Plinker

Plinker

This is a discussion on Plinker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm now looking for a good .22LR plinker. I want to stick with auto and I want fairly simple take down and reassembly. I liked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plinker

Plinker

I'm now looking for a good .22LR plinker. I want to stick with auto and I want fairly simple take down and reassembly. I liked the feel of the Sig Mosquito but the online reviews made me back away, same with the Walther P22. I've owned a Ruger Mark II and I really don't want another. The Beretta 87 might be an option but before I would spend that for a .22 I'd want a lot of feedback. Thoughts?
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Browning Buck Mark. I have put bricks and bricks of .22 ammo through mine and it has never jammed once. It is very accurate and fun to shoot. They also have good sights that are adjustable for windage and elevation.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I've been looking for one as well. Therefore, I'm going to monitor this thread. Had a S&W model 22A years ago that I never shot since it wasn't the right time. Sold it. I've looked at the Walthers and they are rather expensive for my tastes in a 22lr pistol. But......I'll tell you something. I've been rather impressed with the Walther P22 ever since early last year during one of our Steel Challenge matches and an older gentleman used this pistol on every stage without cleaning it without a hitch. Any other 22lr pistol I've seen used at one of our club's matches just didn't hold up, and those who thought they were getting off cheap with the 22lr knocking down steel plates really paid with their overall times and jams, and was a real mess where I actually felt sorry for them. That older gentleman with his Walther P22 is something I'll never forget in the match. I've held them and priced them. Maybe it should be a simple decision for me...save up and get one instead of spending my weekly allowance on ammo. Truth is.......I just need to get serious about it and make it happen. I think I'll take the Walther P22 in the end. It actually feels good in my hand as well!

Second the Buck Mark...great gun.
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Have had my Walther P22 for about 18 months. It's been a jewel and loads of fun to practice with. Loves CCI Stingers... It has my vote.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member
    Cans on the fence plinker: S&W 422 (I love this gun - it's light and fun and cheap to shoot but you won't win any target shooting contests with it)

Big gun feel and function, the decocker, big grip, etc: Sig Mosquito (just use the ammo they recommend and it's fine) It's supposedly like the Sig 226 but just all around smaller

Range gun that you can actually target shoot accurately with but no sexy big gun looks: Buckmark

That's my 2 cents.

purely for over all feel I like the Sig
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I got a Ruger single six built in the 50's I use for a plinker. The finish is almost completely gone but....It's cheap and always goes bang. Fairly accurate too. Buckmark is the way to go.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

VIP Member
    p22
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Once again, the "Ruger pistol is too complicated" line rears its head. Holy cats, people, it's not rocket science! To reject the Ruger Mk I-II-III .22 pistols based on the "difficulty" of teardown and reassembly is just beyond me. If you can rub your head and pat your tummy, you can manage a Ruger. You're missing a fine, accurate and affordable pistol otherwise.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Once again, the "Ruger pistol is too complicated" line rears its head. Holy cats, people, it's not rocket science! To reject the Ruger Mk I-II-III .22 pistols based on the "difficulty" of teardown and reassembly is just beyond me. If you can rub your head and pat your tummy, you can manage a Ruger. You're missing a fine, accurate and affordable pistol otherwise.
    As one who managed to get a Ruger MK III locked up so tight I thought I'd have to take it to a gunsmith to get it unjammed, I still agree with this. It was MY fault I got it jammed both times. I didn't follow the directions. That's all there is to it. IF you read and follow the directions, it's no harder to field strip and reassemble a Ruger than any other gun. Or shoot, don't field strip it. Shoot some gunscrubber in there, shake it couple of times, put a drop of oil here and there, and go have fun with it.

One other thing. Someone mentioned "a lot of money for a 22" or something along those lines. Why wouldn't you spend the same thing for a 22 as for any other gun you own? You're probably going to shoot it a LOT more than any other gun you own, so you might as well get a good one. You don't have to spend but a couple, three hundred bucks to get a pretty good, one anyway (Browning, Ruger 22/45, S&W 22a).

Ok. Off my soapbox now. I'm a 22 fan. What can I say?
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Buckmark camper, better than a timex watch.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member
    I love my Sig Mosquito, using CCI Mini Mags, and Stingers, it has been flawless. It's a 90% scale of basically the Sig P220, or any other in the Sig "classic" line. Great to shoot, easy to tear down, and Sig accurate.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

re

in the .22 genre your gonna be hard pressed to find one more accurate than the buckmark if you wanna swiss cheese up some coffee cans
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Another ruger fan here. Sure its not the easiest to strip down, but its reasonably priced (got my 22/45 target model under 300 OTD with 500 rounds of 22), stupidly accurate, and insane amounts of fun to shoot.

Watch the Youtube videos on how to strip it down, and take your time.

I love mine personally

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links