Falling back in love

Falling back in love

This is a discussion on Falling back in love within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With my Taurus709. It was a bit of a bumpy start but I can now now say that I think I'm not it for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling back in love

Falling back in love

With my Taurus709. It was a bit of a bumpy start but I can now now say that I think I'm not it for the long haul. I've got 400 failure free rounds through so far since my first outing since I got it back from Taurus and they replaced the extractor. The first outing was a bit scary but it has gotten much better.

I love the trigger and I love the manual saftey. But most of all and above ALL else I love one thing the most. I do not have to "Dress around the gun". Over the course of the last year and a half I have totally transformed my lifestyle and my body. I've lost 45 pounds, Decreased my body fat to 10 percent and increased my muscle mass by 19 percent. I'm not saying this to impress you ;)

I'm saying this because this is the first time in my life that I've WANTED to wear clothes that fit. I don't want to have to buy all my clothes a size to large. My t-shirts are a medium and the PT709 hides like a champ under it. My waist size is a 32 and the 709 rides in my crossbreed quick clip like a champ without going up a pants size. I can twist and turn and jump and it doesn't print.

I am also carrying a extra mag now. Yes.. I know, I should have been doing that with my previous EDC (PT145) but it was honestly hard to conceal a double stack mag on my belt. With the 709's super slim single stack it's a piece of cake.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Like your signature Rollo

Congrats, Rollo. Glad you got it worked out. I'm up to 900 flawless rounds in my 709 now. Never a failure of any kind. The gun still looks brand new inside and out.

You're now experiencing the niche that the 709 was made for...and it fits the bill well. Clean it obcessively, but don't over-lube. Remove the striker assembly occasionally and clean and lube. Shoot only quality FMJ ammo (no WWB) for practice and carry high quality 115gr SD ammo (I like hornady CD and Speer GD) and you will be just fine.

They're great little pistols, but they do require some additional attention. Hope it continues to go well. I'll probably start carrying mine moren now that it's warming up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Congrats, Rollo. Glad you got it worked out. I'm up to 900 flawless rounds in my 709 now. Never a failure of any kind. The gun still looks brand new inside and out.

You're now experiencing the niche that the 709 was made for...and it fits the bill well. Clean it obcessively, but don't over-lube. Remove the striker assembly occasionally and clean and lube. Shoot only quality FMJ ammo (no WWB) for practice and carry high quality 115gr SD ammo (I like hornady CD and Speer GD) and you will be just fine.

They're great little pistols, but they do require some additional attention. Hope it continues to go well. I'll probably start carrying mine moren now that it's warming up.
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm am pretty obsessive about field strip cleaning it HOWEVER I have to admit that I don't know how to get the extractor and the striker assembly out of the gun. Do you know of a walk through with pictures or a video anywhere on the net that details it?

On another note out of curiosity is there a specific reason your suggest 115g ammo?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Good deal, Rollo!

I hope your 709 continues on its' present course

And kudos for your lifestyle and physical transformation. Looks like I'll need to keep out of your part of IN now to avoid you handily giving me an azz-whuppin! [lol]

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm am pretty obsessive about field strip cleaning it HOWEVER I have to admit that I don't know how to get the extractor and the striker assembly out of the gun. Do you know of a walk through with pictures or a video anywhere on the net that details it?

On another note out of curiosity is there a specific reason your suggest 115g ammo?
    The 115 grain seems to cycle perfectly. The folks I've talked to that have had issues were with reloads or cheap ammo in heavier weights. I've run a few heavier with no problem, but mostly just 115s in standard 9mm pressures.

Flip the slide upside down. The orange plastic channel is putting pressure on the back plate holding it in place. With a couple of small screw drivers or punches, slide the orange plastic towards the front of the slide while prying the back plate up when the pressure is off. Same deal putting it back in. The extractor spring also puts pressure on it, so you have to push it is a little when putting the back plate back in.

It's not bad at all and it comes out in one piece. Get some pipe cleaners for the channel and just clean and wipe down the striker and spring and make sure there is no lint or anything in it. When ordinarily cleaning, don't get too much of anything in the striker channel. A tad of gunzilla or CLP won't hurt, just don't pour it in.

Hope this helps.

With my Taurus709. It was a bit of a bumpy start but I can now now say that I think I'm not it for the long haul. I've got 400 failure free rounds through so far since my first outing since I got it back from Taurus and they replaced the extractor. The first outing was a bit scary but it has gotten much better.

I love the trigger and I love the manual saftey. But most of all and above ALL else I love one thing the most. I do not have to "Dress around the gun". Over the course of the last year and a half I have totally transformed my lifestyle and my body. I've lost 45 pounds, Decreased my body fat to 10 percent and increased my muscle mass by 19 percent. I'm not saying this to impress you ;)

I'm saying this because this is the first time in my life that I've WANTED to wear clothes that fit. I don't want to have to buy all my clothes a size to large. My t-shirts are a medium and the PT709 hides like a champ under it. My waist size is a 32 and the 709 rides in my crossbreed quick clip like a champ without going up a pants size. I can twist and turn and jump and it doesn't print.

I am also carrying a extra mag now. Yes.. I know, I should have been doing that with my previous EDC (PT145) but it was honestly hard to conceal a double stack mag on my belt. With the 709's super slim single stack it's a piece of cake.
    Dude, I am you. In 2007 I dumped 70+ pounds, and I will tell you, the best concealed carry enhancement I can suggest is to shrink your waistline and broaden your shoulders.

At 5'9" and 240 pounds, I couldn't conceal anything, except about three cheeseburgers with mega-fries.

At 168 pounds, I can easily carry a Glock 21 IWB with 32 inch pants.

You know, as Dizzy Dean says, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it".

And, at 46, it's pretty cool to have the chicks that everyone checks out at the gym checking you out.

Rollo, just interested if you were able to remove the striker assembly in your 709?

Congrats on falling back in Love. How did you loose 45# and gain 19% muscle? Thats what I need to do. I ask as Im eating a Krispy Kreme do-nut as we speak.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Rollo, just interested if you were able to remove the striker assembly in your 709?
    Yep, followed your instructions and got both the striker and extractor out. Gave them a good clean and put them back in. I will make cleaning both of those parts a normal part of my cleaning routine. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Congrats on falling back in Love. How did you loose 45# and gain 19% muscle? Thats what I need to do. I ask as Im eating a Krispy Kreme do-nut as we speak.
    Started off with just diet. Cut out soda, beer and fast food. Then started doing 30 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week. Then started lifting 3 times a week. Whole process took about a year. First 30 came off in the first 6 months. Quitting smoking helped a ton as well as I have been able to up my cardio a lot recently.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Glad things are working out with the 709. I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Started off with just diet. Cut out soda, beer and fast food. Then started doing 30 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week. Then started lifting 3 times a week. Whole process took about a year. First 30 came off in the first 6 months. Quitting smoking helped a ton as well as I have been able to up my cardio a lot recently.
    Off topic slightly, but Rollo, I just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss and getting into shape. One of the hardest things for people (especially us Americans) to do.

Anyways, good work man, you just added about 10 years to your life at least, especially with quitting smoking. Good work!

I've put 300 rounds through my 709, one FTF about 80 into the first 100 and some FTEs after about 120 rounds into a 200 round session (I guess it likes to run clean). I rented a Kahr CW9 a month ago and couldn't stand it... harsh recoil, worse than my XD40-SC, but the little 709 is a pleasure to shoot. So... here's my question and reason for jumping in on this thread... By the way, congratulations on the lifestyle change, not an easy thing to do...

Once the cap is off the back of the slide should the strilker assembly just slip out? I've tried this with mine and it would not come out, there was a spring holding it in and I didn't want to pull too hard against the spring.

Also, I didn't get the owner's manual with my 709 even though I bought it new. Could someone scan the owner's manual and send it to me?
    Last edited by XDOwner; May 8th, 2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: added info
    Lifetime NRA member.

Yes, the striker assembly (including the orange plastic channel) should all slide right out as one piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links