New S&W 908 compact 9mm

This is a discussion on New S&W 908 compact 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've always regretted selling my Smith 3914 that I had years ago. I've been on the lookout for a replacement for several months but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New S&W 908 compact 9mm

New S&W 908 compact 9mm

Well, I've always regretted selling my Smith 3914 that I had years ago. I've been on the lookout for a replacement for several months but none really presented themselves. I then caught wind of the Smith 908, which is the successor to the 3913/14 and is Smith & Wessons "budget line" of metal auto's. So, after looking and researching, I ordered it. Here's my thoughts.

The gun is very close in dimension to the 3913/14. The slide may be several millimeters thicker but the rest looks the same.The decocker is left side only, which is fine with me and reduces print profile during carry. It is traditional DA/SA and actually, the trigger is really good. Good enough I consider this a very accurate little handgun.

The sights are Novak-type rear and dovetail front. They are plastic, however, they are nicely done, appear rugged and are very serviceable. I'm not even looking to change them out unless I get Trijicons later. The (2) supplied mags are nicely built and fit very well. The overall finish is a thick, matte blue with what appears to be lightly lazer etched logo's and markings.

Straight out of the box before cleaning and such, I ran two mag fulls of WWB ball. It ate them without delay or hiccup. I was concerned because I had not had time to clean or lube but it didn't matter. She ran them 100%. Again, from off hand at 25 yards I was knockling the center out of a paper plate with ease DA then SA.

I rate this gun a great buy. Reliable, light, slim and compact making it VERY easy to carry. I would definitely buy this gun all over again.

I'll post a more in depth range report on it later this week after I get some range time. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good looking gun there, Sarge45. Thanks for the review.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    ...the trigger is really good.
    I agree, maybe the best DA/SA on any dedicated CCW I've owned or shot.

Nice gun...

The S&W metal framed autos are one of the great undiscovered treasures in semiauto handguns on the market.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

For the life of me I can't figure why the Smith metal framed guns aren't more popular. I had a 4516 back in the mid 90's that I would LOVE to have back. If I find one, and I have the $$$, I will snatch another one up. Polymers can't hold a candle to the quality of these metal Smiths, IMO.

Very, very nice.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Looks like a potent and servicable firearm, you have there.......... I like Smith metal frame semi-autos, and it has been awhile since I have seen a brand new one.

Congratulations on your new 908!

Thanks folks. I can't really find anything to not like about it. Way I understand it, Smith is discontinuing these in favor of a polymer hybrid ? Sad.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Hi, I also loved my 3rd Gen 915 that I had to sell and although I now have a faiely large collection this looks like one I'm going to buy. I await your report as it looks very concealable.

Thanks for the review. I look forward to getting range reports down the line.

GLAD to see S&W has stayed with this "platform" solved the PROBLEMS. The "orig" ( model 39 ) was not a reliable weapon. In the late 60's some of us ( in my Dept.) decided to try them out. as CC's NOT one was found to be "acceptable" even after EXTENSIVE work. I finally got mine to work after a lot of "ramp" etc work & then only with a very restricted "load outs"

Puffer

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The S&W metal framed autos are one of the great undiscovered treasures in semiauto handguns on the market.
    So true. I have a SW 3913 NL I bought NIB in the early '90s, originally intended for my wife (then GF) to carry. Finally got my CPL in Dec 2008 and decided this would be my EDC. I don't regret it, and have considered getting another metal-framed Smith for my wife to carry...maybe a Chief's Special 9.
    Attached Images
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I've been thinking about the 908 but don't know if they are pocket carry OK or not.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

re

that is a very nice piece........re-sight it and that makes it right
    a shooter after my own heart with a metal smith

ya done good
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Looks like a nice piece. I just will not consider anything with a slide postioned safety.
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    For the life of me I can't figure why the Smith metal framed guns aren't more popular... Polymers can't hold a candle to the quality of these metal Smiths, IMO.
    Probably has to do with the fact that, for the weight, a polymer pistol will hold many more rounds of ammo. I would also assume that, in the law enforcement market, the polymer guns are probably less expensive, due to lower manufacturing costs, vs an all-steel gun.

The safety is also the reverse (up to fire) of many other common pistols such as the 1911 (down to fire).

As far as quality goes, as long as it goes bang, that's all that matters to me. The major polymer guns (Glock, XD, M&P) do.

One interesting thing to consider though - lots of hits land on the hands, as we naturally focus on the threat. I wonder if an all-steel gun is more likely to continue functioning if it gets hit with a bullet, vs a polymer pistol. Hmmmm.... Of course, your hand would be injured, but you could use your support hand IF the pistol was still functional.

Not sure if there is any data on this?

In any case, they are nice looking pistols for sure.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links