Dilemma.....sort of...kind of.....but not really?

This is a discussion on Dilemma.....sort of...kind of.....but not really? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well in anticipation of my tax return I am researching which new pistola I want to purchase. I am looking in to revolvers, as I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma.....sort of...kind of.....but not really?

Well in anticipation of my tax return I am researching which new pistola I want to purchase. I am looking in to revolvers, as I own none of them. I think a revolver would be a good boat gun, or a good gun to carry with some rat shot while out in the woods, or the gun club (happens to be in the middle of nowhere). I have narrowed it down to the Ruger SP101. I love the feel of this gun, and even in double action the trigger is one of the best I have felt in a revolver (I really don't like the S&W 442/642). I also like that I can shoot 357, or 38 special.

But while in my favorite gun shop yesterday, they are running a sale on the Taurus 85 for $270. That is REALLY cheap, about 1/2 the price of the Ruger. I'm not a big fan of Taurus, but how easy is it to go wrong with a revolver? Does anyone have any experience with this gun? I'm still leaning 98% toward the Ruger, but just thought I'd ask for you to chime in.
    PS - That same shop has the S&W 442 and 642 for $399, for you Jacksonville people who really want that gun. That is a GREAT price.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Senior Moderator
    I've got a Taurus 85 that is stainless.

Its been an excellent little gun...one of the better ones from Taurus I think.

Easy to carry and suprisingly accurate.

If I were you, I'd go for it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I don't own a Taurus and have never shoot one, so this is just an observation. The reviews on Taurus revolvers are mixed (reviews that I have read on this and many different forums). I'd say about 70/30 in favor. That being said, I don't remember ever reading a negative review of a Ruger revolver. The SP101 is a heavy duty weapon, it is a bit bulky for a 5 shot, but it it will probably last forever. If it fits your hand, go with your instincts. You may buy a gun based only on it's pricing and end up wishing that you bought the one you really wanted. One, more expensive gun, is cheaper than the same gun + the cheaper gun that you bought first.
    God luck.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have several Taurus 85's. They have been trouble free and completely reliable. That being said, I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Ruger SP101. From what I've seen of the SP it's built like it's big brother, the GP100 series guns, a tank that will take anything you can give it and come back for more. As you mentioned, if you get it in the .357 caliber you have more options on what you can shoot from it. That option isn't available with the 85. I'd go with the Ruger.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

While re-reading my post above, I thought that I'd mention that I don't own and have never shot the SP101 either. I did consider buying one in the past though. It fit in my hand really nicely too. You might consider looking for a used one. Just a few months ago, I picked up a used (but in excellent condition...like new) 4" GP100 in stainless with the rubber/wood grips for $295.00! This has (almost) become my favorite revolver. I have 4 S&W's and 2 Rugers now. The GP100 is my only 4" gun and it just feels the best and is really nicely balanced.
    Anywho...just a thought.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Apples and oranges comparison

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    I have narrowed it down to the Ruger SP101. I love the feel of this gun, and even in double action the trigger is one of the best I have felt in a revolver (I really don't like the S&W 442/642). I also like that I can shoot 357, or 38 special.
    If you are primarily interested in double action trigger, you should really compare the Ruger SP101 to a S&W K frame trigger. The J frame 442/642 have a much heavier and rougher DA trigger than the K frame S&Ws. The K frame also gives you 6 shots instead of the 5 shots of the SP101, a much better fit and finish, and holds its value better than the Ruger. The K frame will also fire both .38 and .357, and its heavier weight than the SP101 allows it to handle .357 recoil better.

I'd recommend a short barrel 66 or 19, which can be found in the $500 range.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I picked up a Ruger SP101 a couple of weeks ago and had to have it. I quickly put it on layaway and looks forward to getting it out and shooting it. It's the hammerless 5-shot. I also own a stainless Taurus Tracker .357 that's a 7-shot pistol. It has been reliable and I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

My motto is "when in doubt...buy both". Then you try them out and sell the one you don't like.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Which shop in Jax has that deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling955i View Post
    Which shop in Jax has that deal?
    Shooters on University Blvd. It's their online price, they always try to tell you that its "online only." But I've always got them to sell "those" guns to me for the online price. Maybe because I buy a gun from Steven every month? Maybe, but I don't know. Tell them you want it at the online price and don't budge. And ONLY deal with Steve, he has a lot of pull and the other guys/kids in there aren't really about doing the most they can to get the price down. They have a set percentage they are allowed to take off the sticker, and that's all they know. Great people in that shop, but deal with Steve!

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I've had bad experiences at Shooters. I usually shop at Gun Gallery on Beach, or St. Nicholas on Blanding. I'll go back to Shooters and ask for Steve and see what he can do.

Ya, the owner can be a jerk sometimes. But I hope you have better luck with them the next go round.

I like the Ruger SP101, and the Smith J frame revolvers too, but, for the role you've described, I must agree with the guy above who recommended the Smith K frame. They are so choice.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Never owned a Taurus but I've shot several model 85's. They were all great shooters!

I just happen to love Stainless Ruger revolvers. I think they look nice and are built like tanks. Will handle any anything you run through them.

I have two SP-101's w/ 2.25 inch barrels and a Stainless 3 inch Ruger Speed Six. Some of my favorite guns. I also think a 3 inch barrel is about the perfect length. Long enough to get superb accuracy and short enough for concealment. The Speed Six, I got used for under $200.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

3" Ruger, add Hogue Monogrip....perfection.

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I just bought a SP101 a couple of weeks ago, I love it the more I handle it the nore I like it. I think I may have to get a 3" version also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links