Colt Officer's? Yea or nay

This is a discussion on Colt Officer's? Yea or nay within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I have an opportunity to pick up a stainless Colt Officer for 650 dollars. The gun is 15 years old and in 99% ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Officer's? Yea or nay

Hi all, I have an opportunity to pick up a stainless Colt Officer for 650 dollars. The gun is 15 years old and in 99% condition. Apparantly Robar did quite a bit of work to the gun in like 1995 or thereabouts. It isn't NP3'd, just stainless. The guy claims he got the gun as a gift from a wealthy client, but said he never really shot it. To me this seems like an outstanding deal, and Im going Wednesday to get it. Any thoughts? What would Robar have done to it? Is it worth $650? I posted this over on THR but I like it here more so I figured what the hey, right lol Any help would be appreciated

I'd go for it. Didn't those 3 inch Colts have some issues with failing to cycle or something like that, due to recoil spring issues? Maybe Robar gave it a new set of springs?
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

A lot of folks will pile on about short 1911's but I have a Officer's the same era, and love it. BTW, Officer's are 3&1/2", 3" is newer. I would be curious if the recoil spring plug was changed, there is a lot of chatter about that being a weakness, enough I did mine right after I bought it. That, and I finally shot the staked front sight loose, and had the slide dovetailed for a replacement, but I was kinda proud of myself for shooting it enough to do that.

$650 would have me thinking of owning a pair.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

re

600 to 700 is average pricing - for decent condition
    barrel bushings and springs were an issue on some guns-some models can bring more with provenance

can you document the smith work?? if not no real value there
    my brother in law has 3 of them all have been smoothed out with some internals

see if they will take 600 if no box and no xtra mags
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sure would be something I'd like to add to my corral.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

get a CCO i personally don't trust 1911s any shorter than commander length,they're known to have reliability issues

GET IT. $650.00 for a LNIB stainless Colt Officers ACP is a really good deal. DO IT.

Change out the recoil guide rod spring plug,if it hasn't been done,the original colt had thin ears and wear out,my friend was gifted his dads from his cop days,we were shooting at the range and he hadn't shot more than a box of ammo when he had a failure,I looked at his gun and the plug and spring had left,found the spring but the plug eas mia,replaced it with a wilson combat plug,requires a little machining on the dust cover on the slide
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    I'd go for it. Didn't those 3 inch Colts have some issues with failing to cycle or something like that, due to recoil spring issues? Maybe Robar gave it a new set of springs?
    Not a 3 inch barrel but a 3.5 inch barrel.

I've had a blued steel frame Colt Officers about 25 years or so. I bought it when they first came out with the Officers model and paid somewhere around $500 - $550 NIB back then.

Only thing I've replaced on mine has been adding Pachmayr grips when I first got it and springs and guide rod after about 15K rounds.

It's a great gun and they hold their value. I'm thinking of refinishing mine, getting new grips from Sarge45 and adding to my carry rotation again.

Like my Colt A2 Govt. Carbine, it's a weapon I'll never sell or trade. It stays in the family!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

With all due respct it isn't the ears that is the prob. It's the little tab that locks into the bottom of the dust cover that likes to shear off on occassion. A Clark reverse plug is a great invention and cures that problem. The Clark should be a drop-in part. They make the closed end and the open end (for full length guide rod). I just bought the closed end plug and used my current recoil spring guide. Works great with my OACP.

one of the more consistently reliable 3 inchers for sure. i say yay

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    With all due respct it isn't the ears that is the prob. It's the little tab that locks into the bottom of the dust cover that likes to shear off on occassion. A Clark reverse plug is a great invention and cures that problem. The Clark should be a drop-in part. They make the closed end and the open end (for full length guide rod). I just bought the closed end plug and used my current recoil spring guide. Works great with my OACP.
    Sounds like I need to get a new guide rod plug as well. I haven't had any problems with mine but sounds like it's a weak link waiting to break.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One word of caution regarding these reverse plugs. It makes reassembly of the gun a pain in the rear because you have to keep the assembled plug and spring together in the slide as you reassemble the frame to the slide. You gotta hold yer mouth jusssssssssst right....

Thanks for all of the great responses guys, this is why I am going to start hanging out here more than THR. Same knowledge (if not more) and less arrogance. I am going to move on this gun. I wish I knew exactly what Robar did to the gun, and if his work is good. The guy says that the gun was made for something involving thunder ranch, but I was unable to find anything about that. I figure that all else aside, the gun itself is well worth 650 dollars

Don't foget to post pics once you have picked up your latest addition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links