Ok 1911 guys...give me a lesson

This is a discussion on Ok 1911 guys...give me a lesson within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What made you decide to carry a 1911? Also do you have any tips for someone thinking about rotating it in. Do you use thin ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ok 1911 guys...give me a lesson

What made you decide to carry a 1911? Also do you have any tips for someone thinking about rotating it in. Do you use thin line grips for example?

What makes it so appealing? I will admit I'm somewhat fascinated by the platform and it's charms.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    1911's just feel more comfortable and natural than any other handgun I have ever held. They just work. They are accurate and beautiful.

The 1911 has remained a favorite weapon for many decades and works perfectly just as it was originally designed. It is uniquely American and is possibly the most famous handgun in the world. It is easy to maintain and easy to modify to your liking. Parts are widely available.

I rotated my 1911 carry with my XD45acp service.

I used the standard wood grips that came on it from Springfield. I saw or felt no need to change them.

Reasons someone would not carry one?
    - Not enough capacity
    - Long barrel on the 5" models
    - Afraid of them
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I don't carry one anymore, but they are appealing to people for several reasons. Nostalgia, a sense of history, ergonomic for some, and many people have used them in the military, and refuse to let go of what works for them. Some people , including myself have abandoned them due to ridiculous prices, and spotty reliabilty. They used to rule the action shooting community until the last several years when a well known shooter used a g34 to win the title. When compared to glocks, sigs, or cz's, they are overpriced for the performance reliabilty they offer per money spent. Not knocking them, they are a great gun and fun shoot, I just think there are better choices[for me] for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    1911's just feel more comfortable and natural than any other handgun I have ever held. They just work. They are accurate and beautiful.

The 1911 has remained a favorite weapon for many decades and works perfectly just as it was originally designed. It is uniquely American and is possibly the most famous handgun in the world. It is easy to maintain and easy to modify to your liking. Parts are widely available.

I rotated my 1911 carry with my XD45acp service.

I used the standard wood grips that came on it from Springfield. I saw or felt no need to change them.

Reasons someone would not carry one?
    - Not enough capacity
    - Long barrel on the 5" models
    - Afraid of them
    I totally feel like you do about it. I will admit I'm leaning toward bringing my 1911 into rotation for carry sometimes. I have a Dan Wesson CBOB (4.25" barrel with bobtailed grip, i'm sure you know the one). I'm definitely not afraid of it and I have practiced enough so that wiping the safety is second nature. Capacity...well it being more accurate for me than anything else I own I would feel ok with 8+1 and another 8 in the spare mag. I suppose the reason I don't carry it now is because it's just a nice gun, much nicer than my Glocks and probably the finest pistol I own. So do you think I should order up some leather for her and try her out in rotation? The difference in systems doesn't bother me and I will do plenty of drills before switching over too.

I just happen to be taking it out for a once over and the thought occured to me "I know people carry these, why don't I?"

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't carry one anymore, but they are appealing to people for several reasons. Nostalgia, a sense of history, ergonomic for some, and many people have used them in the military, and refuse to let go of what works for them. Some people , including myself have abandoned them due to ridiculous prices, and spotty reliabilty. They used to rule the action shooting community until the last several years when a well known shooter used a g34 to win the title. When compared to glocks, sigs, or cz's, they are overpriced for the performance reliabilty they offer per money spent. Not knocking them, they are a great gun and fun shoot, I just think there are better choices[for me] for the money.
    I see your point about reliability. My 1911 has been very reliable with every type of ammo I have used but I will admit the price of the gun does give me a little bit of apprehension about bringing it out and about.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I was intrigued by it's beauty and it's magnificence in it's accuracy. I also very much liked that it is very easy to conceal due to it's thinness compared to Glocks and other more modern designs.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I suppose the reason I don't carry it now is because it's just a nice gun, much nicer than my Glocks and probably the finest pistol I own. So do you think I should order up some leather for her and try her out in rotation? The difference in systems doesn't bother me and I will do plenty of drills before switching over too.

I just happen to be taking it out for a once over and the thought occurred to me "I know people carry these, why don't I?"

Well, personally, I won't own a gun I won't carry. Guns that just sit there dying a slow death in a safe do not appeal to me. I am not a collector. I think they are designed to be used and carried. Getting a few battle scars along the way just add to character.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

What made you decide to carry a 1911? Also do you have any tips for someone thinking about rotating it in. Do you use thin line grips for example?

What makes it so appealing? I will admit I'm somewhat fascinated by the platform and it's charms.
    To tell the truth...the USMC told me I was carrying a 1911. It was my best friend for a long time. I used the grips that came with it. In later years, I became a fan of the rubber finger groove wrap around grips on my civilian issue 1911s. What makes the 1911 so appealing (even though I don't currently own one)? Well, for me it goes way back, and for different reasons than most others could speculate. One of these days, a 1911 will be in my hands again. I just can't get away from what was my last line of defense no matter how hard I try. It goes down to the core (or the Corps) with me.... The 1911 was a part of me, and once a Marine, always a Marine, so I know my destiny. I plead the fifth as to why I don't have one now. It's something that's hard to explain unless you've been where I have.

My primary carry is an M&P40 full size, in an IWB holster, as I usually carry concealed. I do rotate my custom 1911 in a belt holster when I choose to open carry.

I much prefer the 1911 as I am far more accurate and can do faster follow-up shots with a 1911... It simply does not conceal as easily as my M&P. For me, a good 1911 is a far sight more accurate than most polymer-framed pistols I have ever owned or tried. I would even classify my Sig P220 Platinum as combat accurate compared to my custom 1911.

If you have never shot a good 1911, I would highly recommend that you do so. You will find that the extra weight only matters on your belt, but is a real boon when it comes to accuracy and double taps.

My custom 1911 (50 shots at 20-yards)

Target accurate

My M&P40 full size (100 shots at 20-yards)

Combat Accurate
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Well gglass I have a DW CBOB and it's more accurate in my hands than everything else I own. I will attest to the greatness of the 1911 platform in that respect.

TallyXD I totally see your point. A gun is made to be a weapon not a piece of art behind a glass case. Of course, my DW is my "nightstand gun" right now.

Ram Rod I can see what you're saying. I love the .45acp round and the history behind it. However, I was never in the military so it doesn't have the same sentimental value to me if you know what I mean. I also can understand the aspect of not owning one for your own reasons but really wanting one sometime. The price of a good 1911, one with all the trimmings is not small. I wanted one, but thought I was going to have to spend a fortune for the type of quality I wanted. I was lucky and got my CBOB when they were $900. Now they're $1350MSRP and harder to get. When I bought it they were little known in comparison to Kimber, Springfield, Colt, & Smith & Wesson. I was told about them from another forum and was sold.

You guys are really making me want to get some leather for my DW now. I'll probably be ordering a holster next week once I decide what I want.

Here's a question though, double mag carrier (2 spares) or just single?
    -Thomas Jefferson

What's NOT to like..... all mine are extremely reliable. Even my little Kimber Ultra runs like a cat in room full of rockin' chairs.
    All have pretty nice triggers and the safety's are second to none. The platform has been proven thru many wars by our finest soldiers. They are NOT for everyone!! Just sayin'... it's hard to beat a finely tuned 1911.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Is this the gun you're thinkin' about puttin' into rotation? If so, it carries like a dream with the right rig. Shoots VERY well also. Truth be told.... I'm usin' this as bait for the OP.

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Actually it's THIS one

-Thomas Jefferson

my visceral instincts...

Back in 1990 when I was about to buy my first 'serious' defensive handgun, I knew I wanted an autopistol and the primary choice was between 9mm and .45 ACP. The .38 Super was already marginalized and the .40 S+W was the new kid on the block and not proven in the field.

Ever since I was a kid I was enamored of the Browning Hi-Power... 13 rounds of 9mm in a package no bigger than a 1911, nearly double the shots of the old beast. As a gearhead I always preferred small-displacement, high-winding engines to the big-bore, torquey thumpers, and that thinking carried over into defensive pistols... I wanted a Hi-Power with its fast and light 9mm round.

Well, then the Nine Millimeter Revolution happened, and the market was awash with "Wondernines." For close to a year I shopped around, and looked seriously at S+W and Star DA 9mms... the latter having a far better trigger than the S+W at the time. Never seriously considered the 1911 since it was such an antique; even the Hi-Power was a generation more modern. Then the day came and I had bucks in hand... and Stan at Connecticut Gun Exchange just casually suggested the Springfield 1911A1 as I was handling all the DA 9mms he had. My Epiphany happened... nothing felt as good in my hand or had as good a trigger as that 1911. The thought occurred to me that "the 1911 and the .45 have been successful for a long time, you can't go wrong." Money changed hands, and two decades later I now have three 1911s, all in .45, and they are the primary defense weapons. Yes, I own other autos in 9mm and .40 and a few wheelguns, but the 1911 in .45 ACP is my "go to" gun that I doubt I will ever be without.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Actually it's THIS one

That right there is a slick gun.

The conceal well.
    Shoot well and feel good in the hand.
    Accurate, although for defense the difference between 2 and 4" at 25 yards is not significant.

They are low capacity compared to a Glock but then they do hold more than a snubby and the caliber is effective.

I guess you have to weigh the factors and find out what works for you.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links