What is normal rail wear on sig?

This is a discussion on What is normal rail wear on sig? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So a while ago I posted about trading my glock for a sig 1911. Well I didn't end up getting the 1911 but I did ...

Thread: What is normal rail wear on sig?

Question What is normal rail wear on sig?

So a while ago I posted about trading my glock for a sig 1911. Well I didn't end up getting the 1911 but I did end up getting a NIB 228r for my glock and some cash.

With the glock I never really worried about wear on the frame or rails. Now with the sig i'm not really sure what is "normal" wear on a metal frame and rail gun as i've only had glocks. I have taken it out for about 200 perfect rounds. I always clean and lube after every trip. I am using hoppes elite on metal on metal surfaces and some grease on the rails while I wait for my gunzilla to arrive.

I am starting to notice spots on the rails where the finish is starting to chip off and show shiny frame underneath. Is this normal? I just cant make myself comfortable with it. Since this is my first metal frame gun I figured I would ask those more knowledgeable than me, Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Here's some pictures of my SIG P226R with a couple thousand rounds through it. I purchased it used from a friend at work. Notice the shiny spots that indicate wear on the top of the slide, the barrel, chamber hood, and on the frame.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Thanks for the pics, what I am looking at is a little bit different. I have posted pics.(sorry iphone pics, wife has the camera) Im not so worried about the finish wearing off as I am about what looks like little chips in the rail. You can't feel them just see them. It is happening in the same spot on both rails, at the front and at the little slope of the rails halfway from the muzzle to chamber.
    Attached Images

That's just a bit of the black coming off. It's not anything to worry about. Not unless you can feel it, then it's a groove.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Links