Fusion Firearms, why isn't it talked about more?

This is a discussion on Fusion Firearms, why isn't it talked about more? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I was browsing around the interwebs and whatnot and I came across Fusion Firearms. Builders of custom 1911s. Apparently this company was founded ...

Thread: Fusion Firearms, why isn't it talked about more?

Ok so I was browsing around the interwebs and whatnot and I came across Fusion Firearms. Builders of custom 1911s. Apparently this company was founded by the previous president of Dan Wesson firearms, Bob Serva. I think these pistols look pretty good for the price. They aren't an Ed Brown by any stretch of the imagination but they definitely rival a CZ Dan Wesson, Kimber, Springfield and the like. They seem to be basically the same as buying a Dan Wesson if you opt for one of their bobtail models. Pretty much the same thing except for the serrations on the top of the slide. They are less expensive than a comparable DW though. My question is, why aren't these pistols mentioned more? Are they just that unknown or are they problematic in some way (i.e. spotty QC, cheaper parts)?

An unrelated question, if one were looking for a commander sized 1911 in the custom range (think $1500+), would a Les Baer or Ed Brown be a better pistol? I've never had the pleasure of firing either of them but I have held comparable models side by side. I'm no smith and didn't really want to feel such high priced weapons up too much if I wasn't going to be buying so I'm not well versed in either manufacturer except what I see in their respective catalogs. I might be in the market for another 1911 and I think I'm going to really save up for one of the nicer weapons out there. Nothing in the $3000+ range though, but a~$2600 pistol might be something I'm willing to consider once I get to that point in savings.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Ok so I was browsing around the interwebs and whatnot and I came across Fusion Firearms. Builders of custom 1911s.
    Apparently this company was founded by the previous president of Dan Wesson firearms, Bob Serva. I think these pistols look pretty good for the price.
    My question is, why aren't these pistols mentioned more?
    Maybe because in 2008 they only made 43 pistols?

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/downlo...ort-report.pdf

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I fired a Les Baer at my friend's indoor gun range - I'm still not sleeping well. It was awesome (his "race" gun). I'm pretty sure it was WAY over $1500.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post

That's a good point, but how many did Ed Brown make? Not too many, I'd guess. Fusion seems to fall somewhere in between the Ed Brown/Wilson Combat/Les Baer model and the Caspian Arms model. They sell more kits to DIY'ers than they sell completed pistols.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post

Woah...yeah that'd be the reason.

Wish I knew someone with a higher end 1911 that I could try. Nobody I know is really THAT into them to spend the bucks I'm thinking of doing in a few months.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Where in florida do you live? I have a 1989 Cogan Custom Safari Arms Lower/Caspian upper 1911....AND soon to have a Nighthawk Custom T3...if it ever gets here!!!!

If you are close to my area we could meet and you would be welcome to shoot either of mine at the range I frequent.

PM me if you want.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Where in florida do you live? I have a 1989 Cogan Custom Safari Arms Lower/Caspian upper 1911....AND soon to have a Nighthawk Custom T3...if it ever gets here!!!!

If you are close to my area we could meet and you would be welcome to shoot either of mine at the range I frequent.

PM me if you want.
    where in Florida do you live?? I would't mind a range buddy.

VIP Member
    I ran into a guy at the range awhile back who was working up a Fusion. It was a 9mm (abomination, I know) and was a fabulous shooter. Tight and smooth. I'm not trading my Colt, but it was still nice.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I wanted a 9mm 1911 for shooting in IDPA. I built one on a Fusion Scout 5" kit, bobtailed. It has the smoothest slide I have ever felt on a handgun, period.

The grips from Sarge don't hurt, either.

Last edited by kazzaerexys; April 27th, 2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Fat fingers.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    They're talked about more than you might think, you just need to spend more time on 1911 discussion boards.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I had communicated with Bob Serva personally back in 2003 when he owned DW Firearms. I have #0084 of the first 150 DW Razorback 10mm pistols. This handgun is the centerpiece of my collection. I have no doubt that Bob is producing some of the finest pistols for the price ever created bar none!

If it means anything to you, Bob is also a fine Christian man.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    They're talked about more than you might think, you just need to spend more time on 1911 discussion boards.
    Bingo.

Hang out over on 1911forum.com and you will find out anything you ever wanted to know about a Fusion.

I have an Ed Brown "Molon Labe" that I bought right after they were introduced at the 2009 (IIRC...maybe 2010) Shot Show and it is by far, the nicest handgun I own. Everything about that gun screams quality. Expensive, yes...but when I hold it, rack the slide, shoot it, etc....I can see where my money went, and I don't regret making the purchase. The only thing is, I tend to baby it due to it being such a nice gun, but I do shoot it; it isn't a safe queen.

If I were going to buy another 1911 in the same class (and I'm seriously thinking about it) to use as a carry piece with less regard to holster wear and whatnot...I would get a Les Baer...

...and the reason I say that, is to me...a Les Baer with worn bluing and obvious holster wear, is just downright sexy!

My LGS happens to carry a few Dan Wessons, Nighthawk and Ed Browns in the case...and they're all VERY nice. Dan Wessons are more production guns but in my opinion, if you take a Valor in your hand and fondle it profusely...you may find that it will fit the bill rather nicely. They really are that nice!

It all really boils down to, is if you're serious about spending the kind of cabbage it takes to acquire one of these guns...it takes lots and lots of research. All the "semi-custom" manufacturers make extremely well made products, you just have to figure out which one trips your trigger the most and then make up your mind what you want in gun.

I own several 1911's, but carry an Ed Brown Executive Carry. They are expensive......nearly $3,000, but the fit and finish are just top notch. Mine is matte stainless and shows a little wear on the edges of the slide from my kydex holster. I wouldn't say the Brown shoots any more accurately than any of my other 1911's, but it is a very accurate pistol......more accurate for me than my Glock 30sf or Sig Sauer P220. I like Brown because many of their parts are used by other top end 1911's.............there must be a reason for that.

If you are really interested in 1911's I highly recommend the 1911 Forum......there you can read comments about nearly all 1911's built today, plus much historical information about the platform.

Links