New LCP!

This is a discussion on New LCP! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a new LCP in hard chrome at the gun show last week. Took it out and shot 210 rounds thru it a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LCP!

New LCP!

I picked up a new LCP in hard chrome at the gun show last week. Took it out and shot 210 rounds thru it a couple days ago. The only problem I had was that when I rack the slide to put a round in the chamber it would sometimes jam, and if you give it a wiggle it would go in. Didn't have any problems feeding while firing. The other thing I'm wondering about is that when you pull the slide back, it kind of stops after it's pulled back maybe a half inch, then you have you give it a slightly harder pull to get it fully rearward. Not sure if that's normal or what. Or you can give a good hard pull to begin with and it will work fine, but you still feel the resistance after that half inch. Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

I haven;t had that problem with my LCP. If there's a gunsmith in the place you purchased it, I would bring it in and have them take a look. Otherwise, maybe contact Ruger... they are very good about customer support and service.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My friend and I bought LCP's the same day at the same gun shop. Mine never had a problem but his did the same thing. He talked to the guys at the gun store and they said it was part of the break in period of the weapon. He took it home, cleaned it because Rugers are WAY over lubricated new. Went back to the range the next day, put another 2 boxes through it and it never did that again. Maybe the gun was gunked up? Break in period? Maybe even the ammo he was using? Its always good to talk to the place you bought it from or call the manufacturer.....my .02
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

EW3
    You have to rack it REALLY HARD!

Pull the slide back hard and fast and LET IT FLY.

You are probably babying the slide, rack that sucker like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by porsche4786 View Post
    The other thing I'm wondering about is that when you pull the slide back, it kind of stops after it's pulled back maybe a half inch, then you have you give it a slightly harder pull to get it fully rearward.
    I think that resistance you feel is from the hammer being pre-cocked. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    Mine was stiff like you describe for the first 200 rounds or so. A good cleaning, and a session of racking & dry fires, and it loosened up. Functionally, it's never failed.

Be sure to check out Elsie Pea Forum - The #1 Ruger LCP Owner Forum and Information Source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post

Oh yeah - that too! ^

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    A good cleaning and more rounds will probably fix it up
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I would use the slide stop to chamber the first round until the gun starts to break in a little more. It will be much easier to rack the slide after a few hundred rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I would use the slide stop to chamber the first round until the gun starts to break in a little more. It will be much easier to rack the slide after a few hundred rounds.
    I did the same thing back when my LCP was new about 1,000 rounds ago. It gets much easier once you break it in real good.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Oh yeah - that too! ^
    Me too! Mine did it too until I stopped treating it so well!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    It takes at least 200 rounds to get the LCP running right. Some require having the feed ramp buffed which is a ultra simple to do. Mine look like a mirror. And, as correctly stated above, do't baby the slide. I am sure your LCP will be fine in short order.

Best!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

This. Pull back hard & fast and completely let go at the instant you hit the stop position so the back & forth is one continuous cycle.

I think that resistance you feel is from the hammer being pre-cocked. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    This too.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

I agree with the initial clean out. It has some goo in it for sure. I had no problems with the slide, but my mag would'nt seat fully unless I slightly depressed the mag catch. I called the shop and was going to take it in, but shot it first and the problem dissappeared. I guess there was a small bur on the mag lock catch and it cleared off with a few cycles of loading. Since that, it's functioned fine and is a dream to CC. It's my bug for a G27 or when I can't carry that. My only complaint is that it should come with 2 mags
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Mine was stiff like you describe for the first 200 rounds or so. A good cleaning, and a session of racking & dry fires, and it loosened up. Functionally, it's never failed.

Be sure to check out Elsie Pea Forum - The #1 Ruger LCP Owner Forum and Information Source
    Please tell me you used a snap cap!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Mine did the exact same thing when I first took it out to the range. I had to be aggressive when tugging at the slide, however; my would sometimes jam when I was firing it. I have only put my lcp through 100 rounds...maybe I need to do a couple hundred more to break it in. I just do not want to go through the pain of shooting it....it hurts! My hand and my trigger finger can only take so much.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links