S&W dilema I need help!

S&W dilema I need help!

This is a discussion on S&W dilema I need help! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need help guys I'm looking at buying either a S&W M&P 9mm compact or a 640 J-frame. I know these are apples and oranges ...

Thread: S&W dilema I need help!

S&W dilema I need help!

I need help guys I'm looking at buying either a S&W M&P 9mm compact or a 640 J-frame. I know these are apples and oranges but i'm still torn here. I don't currently own a compact 9mm but also don't own a 2" .357 either. I know the 640 probably conceals easier though but the M&P offers 12+1 9mm rounds,although I feel 5 rounds are sufficient for CCW use. Can you guys here talk me into or out of either of these guns?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Well, I can only tell you the M&P would be more comfortable to practice with.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

If you dont have a compact auto I would go with the M&P. Its a much better choice IMO for a primary carry. Then add the snubby later. Either one would be a good choice.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member
    Wow.....tough choice. But, I'm more of a snubbie fan than a 9mm guy so my vote is snubbie. AND IF YOU'RE GOING 357.....serious take down. Hard to go wrong there.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

The M&P is cheaper and more comfortable to shoot
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Thumbs up What to carry

I carried wheel guns for about a year, the last being a Ruger LCR and that was a very nice piece. Then I ran into a S&W 3913 which is a single stack 9mm 3.5 inch barrel. Better accuracy and more capacity than the revolver. I think the M&P would be a great choice. I know the caliber is a debatable issue, but it's not always the size of the hole but what the hole is in. There are great defensive rounds for all calibers now, so consider all other issues as well. The 3913 is much nicer in the recoil category. A two inch .357 is not going to be a good gun to shoot a lot with. I can shoot the 9mm all day long and not have any wrist issues. Good luck in your search.
    Mar 9:23 Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes."

With that scripture I go forward steady by jerks.

Also pray for our President; Psalm 109:8

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Wow....that's a tough one because they are both good choices. Just get them both:)
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Wow....that's a tough one because they are both good choices. Just get them both:)
    ^^^^^^^I like this Idea^^^^^

But,,I don't believe the revolver would be all that much easier to conceal, sizewise.
    Weightwise, yes, but then the issue of how many rounds you get, with the M&P9c, and you will begin to discount the revolver.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Don't you have a Taurus 85?

I would go with the 9mm compact.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Hold them both and see what you feel more comfortable with.
    I did that ,and bought a 642 smith.
    I will say that the trigger was stout on that little snubby. I did a trigger job on it last night removing the internal lock, swapping out two springs and polishing some parts.
    Trigger pull improved but was not super dramatic.
    You are limited with the 5 shot, but Ive seen people have to shoot 19 times to hit a target I hit on the second shot.
    Its really about you.
    "There are no bad guns, just bad people"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've owned both guns. From experience I can tell you the S&W M&P is too small for my hand, but shoots well. The 640 fits my hand well with non factory grips, but has significant recoil using full house .357 loads. You have to decide if you want knock down power or high capacity. I would opt for power.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Links