Anyone shot the new SIG P226/P229 E2?

Anyone shot the new SIG P226/P229 E2?

This is a discussion on Anyone shot the new SIG P226/P229 E2? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sig has just released their new SIG E2 for the P226 and P229 in 9mm. Has anyone shot them yet? I saw one in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shot the new SIG P226/P229 E2?

Question Anyone shot the new SIG P226/P229 E2?

Sig has just released their new SIG E2 for the P226 and P229 in 9mm. Has anyone shot them yet? I saw one in a store the other day but did not get a chance to hold both and compare. I have medium sized hands. Not small, and I've never had a problem holding a large gripped gun, but often I feel I'd prefer a smaller grip. I think the P229 in E2 once it comes out in .40S&W may be the gun for me.

E2 Enhanced Ergonomics from Sig Sauer
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

I am also very interested in hearing more about these guns. I haven't seen one in person yet.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I saw one at their academy up in NH. I liked the feel of the reduced grip, not just because it gets your hand closer into the gun, but its texture is nice as well. I talked to their customer service and apparently there will be a kit that an authorized armorer can install to convert the grips on other classic series pistols to match the grip of the E2 models.

Sig Sauer P229 E2

This is a bit late, but just read your posted question. Recently purchased Sig Sauer P229 E2 with Crimson Trace Laser Grip sites.

It is the most comfortable semi-auto pistol to hold and shoot that I have ever fired. I own several Glocks, a Kimber Ultra Carry II, Colt full-size 1911, Walther PPK, Beretta 92F, ParaOrdanance P14-45, etc.

The only other handgun that fits me as well is my Colt Python 4" nickel finish with rubber grips.

I've put less than a box a shells through it so far. The double action is smooth with a comfortable trigger pull. The trigger, itself, is smooth, predictable release and much more comfortable than the Glock, Kimber or Colt triggers.

My only criticism is that it does feel a little heavy and bulky compared to the Glocks. 32 oz. (unloaded) compared to just under 21 oz. for the Glock. It's dimensions h/l/w are all slightly larger than the comparable Glock (Model 19), as well.

It is, even with it's size and weight, one sweet gun to shoot. It is rapidly becoming my favorite semi-auto pistol.

One additional comment.... Even at this later date, April 2011, I am having trouble finding holsters fitted for this pistol. Fobus, even Sig's own website, doesn't have a holster for this pistol.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack1336 View Post
    One additional comment.... Even at this later date, April 2011, I am having trouble finding holsters fitted for this pistol. Fobus, even Sig's own website, doesn't have a holster for this pistol.
    I don't think that the E2 designation would matter for holster fit, unless there is something I'm not thinking of.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glocks are lighter and thinner, true enough. SIG pistols may be bulkier, but that just means there's more of them to love.

Senior Moderator
    The Sig 229/6 E2 has been out for quite a while; I have one and bought it quite a while back. As I understand it, Sig is changing the classic 229 to an E2 grip, which means there will no longer be a Sig classic 229 with the traditional grip. All new 229s, i.e. 9mm, will be built on a 229 .40 cal frame which has a wider magazine well which will accommodate two more 9mm rounds. All frames will have the E2 grip. It will be marketed as the P229/226 sans the E2. Which means they will discontinue the E2 since the modified classic will have the E2 grip.

Again, as I understand it right now, the new 'classic' 229 9mm will have the E2 slide which is thinner than the classic and it will have the long external extractor instead of the short extractor currently used. I'm unclear how this will affect the 226 other than the E2 style grip.

The true E2s as introduced, came with the SRT package and short reach trigger. As I understand it, the 'new' classics will not have the SRT but can be converted to the SRT package.

Also, last I heard, the DAKs were not compatible with the E2 grip, but I suspect that's just a matter of time before Sig introduces the modified hammer strut kit to accommodate the E2 grip.

BTW, and I want to confirm (re-confirm) this but IIRC, my true E2 229 fits nicely in a 226R holster. Of course the 226 holster is a bit long, but it fits well.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have an E2 229 in .40S&W, and per my FLL who ordered it for me, it truly was one of the last to be made in Exeter, NH. Grip is great, I have medium-sized hands and I really like it. Night sights are fine, as is having a third magazine. Shoots great (like a Sig), and very well made and balanced (if a bit heavy, but again, "settles" well in-hand).

I own the previous model Sig P226R. I would be interested in comparing it with the E2.
    Oasisbt,

"My Wife said that either my Guns had to go, or she would........boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'!"
    H&K USP 9
    Sig Sauer P226R

Saw it a while back but according to the Sig website the P226 and P229 e2 has been discontinued ( its under the discontinued pistils section). Really a shame the grips felt amazing i have Both my P226 and P229 SCTs going to sig right now to have the grip mods installed along with the SRT trigger.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

UPDATE

Just got back from the Rivers of Freedom NRA convention in Pittsburg PA. The P226 and P229 E2 WERE discontinued by Sig. The reasoning behind this is that the P226 and P229 Elites, were sporting the same new grip modification and had the added beavertail for 10$ more so Sig opted to drop the original E2s to run the Elite E2s.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

I've got the 226 Cerakote which has the E2 grip, SRT trigger and night sights. I love the grip. Not only is it smaller, but the texture just absolutely locks into your hand so you have a good solid grasp on the gun even as your hand gets sweaty.

Sig dropped the E2 because it has become the "standard" model. The "classic" line has gone away now and I hate the new grip size it's WAY too small for me and the short reach trigger has become the standard as well.
    Good thing I have a few in MY size.

Cool It's a honey...

Sorry for the late post. Just joined this forum. I've had the P226-E2 in 9mm for about a year, and it is one sweet pistol. I don't profess to be a firearms expert, but I'm working to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. What I can tell you is that this pistol is silky smooth to fire, and fits like a glove. The DA pull is easy enough, and the SA with the SRT feature makes for a great shooting experience. As a full size service pistol, it is a little heavier than many competitors, but to me that gives it a substantial feel that it's built to last. Oh, and I've probably put 700-800 rounds through it with nary a problem. Except for the higher than average purchase price, I have absolute nothing critical to say about this gun. And to me, the purchase price is easy to take once you own the gun for a while. As my wife likes to say, sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links