looking for concealed carry weapon suggestions

This is a discussion on looking for concealed carry weapon suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first post. I am new to concealed carry but not to firearms in general. Currently I own a Ruger Service Six with a 4" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for concealed carry weapon suggestions

looking for concealed carry weapon suggestions

My first post. I am new to concealed carry but not to firearms in general.

Currently I own a Ruger Service Six with a 4" barrel and and a horizontal nylon shoulder holster which is fine for using on the range or out in the woods but certainly is not concealed even with a jacket or sweater.

I really enjoy my Service Six but I can not see carrying it concealed, it just too big to stay concealed. So I am looking for suggestions on a weapon and rigging to keep it concealed.

Specs about me. I am 5"7" average build but slightly overweight. Here is what makes this difficult I have a colostomy. This means I wear suspenders and my pants need to be somewhat loose. So that limits my ability to carry a weapon on the hip.

So i am looking for something small that I can wear in a pocket holster or something small enough that will work in a shoulder rig that will not imprint. Or if anyone has any ideas on how I could carry the service six concealed that would be great.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Robert

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Loose pants?
    Thunder Wear or Smart Carry might be what you are looking for.
    I haven't used either but know a few who do and they like them. One conceals an M&P45c which is about a mid size pistol (G19, 1911 Officer...).
    Other than that, any of the P380 style mouse guns or possible the Taurus 709 slim in a pocket holster.(I would go out on a limb and say that most pocket holsters are as good as the next one)

$.02
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

how about a Ruger SR9c or even better yet a Ruger LCR I bet you could pocket carry that pretty easily.

+1 on ruger sr9c. Good ccw. I'm 5'7" and about 180-ish and that's my current ccw.

Input on Smart Carry or Thunderwear

Hello,

I'm not sure the SmartCarry or Thunderwear will work for you in your situation because they need to wrap around your hips.

If you don't have huge bear claw hands, a kahr mk9 or pm9 worn in a bellyband that rides just below your armpits might work. The condition being you have to lift up your shirt way up to draw.

Cheers

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

Since you're a revolver man -

Smith & Wesson Mod. 642, being compact, light, and ultra-relaible, seems perfect. Terminal effects of the .38 Spl will be similar to 9mm, and superior to .380 ACP. There is no external hammer spur to snag on your pocket upon drawing it out.

Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Since you're a revolver man -

Smith & Wesson Mod. 642, being compact, light, and ultra-relaible, seems perfect. Terminal effects of the .38 Spl will be similar to 9mm, and superior to .380 ACP. There is no external hammer spur to snag on your pocket upon drawing it out.

Jeez! I wish you people would quit posting pictures of the 642. Every time I see it, I have to call the local gun store and ask if they've got one. As a wheel gun and a snubbie to boot, it's about perfect.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    A Kel-Tec P3AT in a De-Santis, Nemesis pocket holster will fit the bill. Whenever my other carry options don't work, I go back to the Kel-Tec. I have fired about 500 rnds. at the range without a burp. It's not fun to shoot and not as pretty as some others, but it's small, easy to conceal and has gone bang, so far, every time I pull the trigger. I carry a S&W 342 in a smart carry with an extra speed loader. The titanium hammerless snubbie is so light I forget it's there. I just wish it held more than five at a time. I have heard that some pocket carry Glock 26's, but I currently am using a Glock 19 mag. with A&G spacer in my 26 and it's probably too big for pocket carry. I used to carry the S&W 342 in a fanny pack, but I've heard a lot of comments that a fanny pack is a dead give-away that you are carrying. I really like carrying my EMP in a Galco IWB holster but with your medical situation you may be severely limited in your choices. Hope some of this helps.

I have no idea yet if it'll be worth it, but I'm checking out the new S&W Bodyguard .38 when it's available. Already have a .45 that is small and easy enough to carry but in summer weather, I'm wanting something a little smaller.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

I can't believe that nobody has welcomed you to the forum. Let me be the first, welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware.

los
    Definitely look into pocket carry. Perhaps a J frame revolver (38sp./357mag).

btw, WELCOME to the Forum.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Since you like the Ruger, I suggest sticking with wheelguns. Doesn't Ruger make a smaller Revolver as well as the LCR? S&W also offers some nice choices.

Pocket carry is a good choice. Given the limitations of suspenders, you might try something unconventional like a fanny pack.

Ruger LCP .380 ,because a pocket pistol should fit in your pocket :)
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Keltec pf-9 and it will fit in your pocket.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links