New Kel Tec P3AT

New Kel Tec P3AT

This is a discussion on New Kel Tec P3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Due to being constricted to what I can carry while at work, I added a Kel Tec P3AT to the family last week. It carries ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kel Tec P3AT

New Kel Tec P3AT

Due to being constricted to what I can carry while at work, I added a Kel Tec P3AT to the family last week. It carries like a dream in my front pocket in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I can't even tell it's there most of the time.

I've put 100 rounds through it so far and I did have one failure to feed but it was my fault. First of all it happened somewhere around the 80-85th shot out of a hundred. The gun just needed cleaning and also I kind of limp wristed it too because I had developed a blister on my trigger finger from shooting it so much. These mouseguns are not fun to shoot! However, I couldn't believe how accurate this little thing was. I was not expecting it to be very accurate but it definitely surprised me.

All in all I'm very happy with it so far and it fills a need that I had to be able to be armed at all times. Obviously I would rather have my Kahr CW9 on me but I would rather have the .380 than nothing!
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I suspect a lot of the reported malfs with the P3AT are operator-induced due to cleaning/lubing issues or grip. I agree that it doesn't seem much of a "range" gun. But I bet you find it comforting to have it along!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I too carry my P3AT when all my other carry options won't work. I've put about 500 rnds. through my Kel-Tec at the range without a burp. My hand is always sore after about 25 rnds. but with the known issues of limp-wristing, I tend to over compensate. I really like the De-Santis Nemesis, pocket holster with spare mag. holder. It fits nicely in any pocket in cargo shorts or pants. I have the optional belt clip and know those who swear by it, but I prefer it deeper in the pocket. I used to pocket carry a S&W 342 in an Uncle Mike's but after a while the holster started to decompose and there was black particles all over the gun. Also, the grip used to show if the pocket wasn't extra deep.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Love my keltec .380. Carry mind a lot of the time.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I like mine for what it is, but it is not a terribly pleasant piece for range use. I shoot it enough to ensure reliability on its part and mine. But thats it.

LCP owner here (same thing pretty much) and yeah they are no fun to shoot. I can conceal mine in a pocket so I can go shirtless in the summer. It fills a niche, and it fills it well, but surely not the end all be all to everyone.

Good luck with it.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

VIP Member
    Goes right in the pocket, better than nothing

I don't carry my P-3AT often anymore, but it does disappear into the pocket or the small of the back.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll jump in here and say how much I like mine, too. I've got 450 rds through it and all is well as long as it's clean and lubed. I'm confident it'll go bang when I need it. I carry mine in a Fist right front pocket.

I may take a look at another holster, for the spare mag capability, rather than pocket carrying one. Thanks for the suggestion!
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    A friend put the laser attachment to his...8" plates at 25yds....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Had mine forever. Just re blued the slide (home solution nothin fancy) still shoots great. Sights aren't worth a darn but it is no range gun so that is to be expected.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    LCP owner here (same thing pretty much) and yeah they are no fun to shoot. I can conceal mine in a pocket so I can go shirtless in the summer. It fills a niche, and it fills it well, but surely not the end all be all to everyone.

Good luck with it.
    Sort of like a rat trap going off in your hand. However, adding a Pachmayr #4 grip makes a word of difference. Here is my LCP wearing one:
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (50.4 KB, 35 views)
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I carry a P3AT when it's uncomfortable to carry my PF-9 in a WALLET HOLSTER. Fits great and with the pinky extention it's secure in the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    Sort of like a rat trap going off in your hand. However, adding a Pachmayr #4 grip makes a word of difference. Here is my LCP wearing one:
    I agree wholeheartedly. I added the mag extension but need to look into the Pachmayr grip.

Seems that everyone that fires a P3AT has the same problems with nipping your finger. I think it would be fine time to piss and moan to Keltec to change the design. Until they do that I will never buy another one of their products. In fact I have a el cheepo Jinamez 380 that has over 500 rounds thu it and I've never had a FTF and always gone to battery.
    Bill
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTomcat View Post
    I carry a P3AT when it's uncomfortable to carry my PF-9 in a WALLET HOLSTER. Fits great and with the pinky extention it's secure in the holster.
    Note: In the early 90's, a law was passed prohibiting a gun from being carried in a concealed container. The manufacturer contacted the ATF for a ruling on this holster. Because this holster does not place the gun in a container, the ATF ruled this holster is exempt from the this law and is available to consumers without any additional registration, tax stamps, etc.
    personally I don't think it is worth an extra $200 just to carry it with that holster.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links