M&P 360 Revolver-Chiefs Special-J frame

This is a discussion on M&P 360 Revolver-Chiefs Special-J frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I think I'm getting nostalgic. A few years ago I would have never considered buying another revolver. Now I'm thinking of buying two. Thinking ...

Thread: M&P 360 Revolver-Chiefs Special-J frame

Well, I think I'm getting nostalgic. A few years ago I would have never considered buying another revolver. Now I'm thinking of buying two. Thinking about getting this J frame for my hot summer carry. My Glock 26 is just too big, especially when going to the gym and running. I think it would make a great companion to the 386NG that I'm also planning on getting for colder weather carry. Anyone own own or shot one? I carried a Model 36 Chiefs Special twenty years ago as a backup and off duty before transitioning to Glocks. Having a hammer (SA option) is a must for me (just in case).

Thanks

Product: Model M&P 360 Revolver - Chiefs Special
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I have the M&P 340...love it. It is an awesome "no gun" gun. The two caliber ability is awesome. Just hold on when you stoke it with .357. It is a fire breather but very great at what it is intended for.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I really didn't see myself purchasing another revolver either and I all of the sudden, I ended up buying TWO of them: a Smith & Wesson Model 438 Bodyguard (J-Frame), and a Ruger Model GP100 .357 Magnum 3" Barrel.

I love 'em both but I find myself taking the Smith EVERYWHERE! In fact, this one-time semi-auto only guy is thinking about purchasing another Smith in the near future....possibly one of the Night Guard series.

re

not really relevant but - i bought a colt detective 20+ years old(similar) a while back and i actually carry the blasted thing more than i ever thought i would especially in summer - i love it - id like to have a chief also - i think they are great little shooters
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

JT
    Have you considered a 637? They’re a lot cheaper. They’re not .357 magnum, but I don’t know many people willing to shoot .357 magnum out of a 13 oz gun, once they’ve tried it. I’d rather shoot 38 special +p and have a couple more ounces of weight.

Or if you really want a .357 magnum, how about a model 60? The extra 10 ounces will really help with the recoil. Some people think even that is too light, but I don't mind shooting .357 magnum out of a model 60.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I carry an (old) S&W 36 on a regular basis and am perfectly comfortable with it.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Have you considered a 637? They’re a lot cheaper. They’re not .357 magnum, but I don’t know many people willing to shoot .357 magnum out of a 13 oz gun, once they’ve tried it. I’d rather shoot 38 special +p and have a couple more ounces of weight.

Or if you really want a .357 magnum, how about a model 60? The extra 10 ounces will really help with the recoil. Some people think even that is too light, but I don't mind shooting .357 magnum out of a model 60.
    i'll second the 60 PRO also - that's my main carry for revolver and it's great - i have no issues with gold dot .357 loads
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have the M&P 340...love it. It is an awesome "no gun" gun. The two caliber ability is awesome. Just hold on when you stoke it with .357. It is a fire breather but very great at what it is intended for.
    Go for the M&P 340 over the 360, especially if you are thinking about pocket carry. The Centennial style frame of the 340 makes pocket draw much easier.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

VIP Member
    Another vote for the 637. I progressed from a model 60 to the 637. It carries so much better and is just as capable since I never wanted to carry 357 rounds anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll do a bit more research.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    Go for the M&P 340 over the 360, especially if you are thinking about pocket carry. The Centennial style frame of the 340 makes pocket draw much easier.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I never liked pocket carrying a gun and I also like to have the option of SA (just in case).
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Ruger SP101 .357 2" bbl w/ spurred hammer. I love that gun. Can shoot 38 +P like its nothing, and the .357s aren't bad. You can choose to carry whichever round you prefer.

I also have a S&W 442 that is a great summer carry piece and a 1962 S&W 49 Bodyguard that I absolutely love. Very nostalgic, and I carry it...it had a lot of carry wear and character when I bought it that just adds to the allure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I never liked pocket carrying a gun and I also like to have the option of SA (just in case).
    I was the same way. That's why I bought the S&W 638 with the shrouded hammer as my first revolver. But I changed my mind when I bought the M&P 340 because I carry it only as my BUG either on the ankle or in the pocket and couldn't afford to have it get hung up while drawing. I would have bought it with the shrouded hammer if they made it.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

any j-frame will work.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have the Mod 60 357 mag with 2 1/4 barrel. I love it. I like the weight of the stainless frame when shooting hot loads. Wouldn't mind front night sight. Yesterday I was shooting it at 50 yards. Was grouping about 12 inches. I think I could do better but I was switching around between 3 different guns.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sponsored Links