Revolver Recommendations?

This is a discussion on Revolver Recommendations? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ladies and Gentlemen, It's been a little while since my last post. But I was wondering if any one has had any experience with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    It's been a little while since my last post. But I was wondering if any one has had any experience with the Ruger SP 101 .327 as a CCW?
    I've heard some good things about the round. Such as, "straight or flat shooting" and "Easy recoil" I'm assuming that means it's not as hard on the wrists as say the .357 mag. for range practice.
    Although weight is a consideration, I'm not opposed to carrying a heftier piece. I've been carrying the Bersa Mini-Thunder in a Crossbreed holster. Love that!!
    But I also like to change things up a bit. I've always been partial to revolvers and the .327 intrigues me!
    Every once in a while I carry a Taurus 9mm revolver. But frankly speaking, the moon clip thing is for the birds! Because once I blow my 5 little rounds. The Taurus is nothing more than an ugly black rock!
    Any responses would be appreciated!

Look to the S&W line...they also are making a .327. I would stick to .38/.357 though. Easier for ammo and better trade value later. Look at the Model 60 or Model 640. That SP101 is also an excellent choice, built like a tank.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    I always like Ruger and S&W. I have 2 taurus revolvers M67 and M605 that have performed fine
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Before buying the 327 I would suggest a check on ammunition availability. I've never seen it locally in stores and it seems pretty scarce on the internet as well. I haven't really been interested in the 327 and so haven't done extensive searching for ammo but it would be a concern of mine.

I carry a SP101 3", .357 mag.

I don't see the need for the .327, but that is me. Ammo is expensive, in all the forms that it can shoot which is a turn off for me. Well that and the fact that I already had 38sp/357 guns and reload for them before adding the SP101.

I can't argue with the choice of the gun, but would reconsider the caliber, but like I said that is just me.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm a huge Smith & Wesson revolver fan but there are no flies on the SP 101. I'd love to have a .327 Magnum for shooting and handloading fun but believe I'll take something shooting a larger, heavier bullet for personal self defense.

If you are interested in range use then you might want to choose a .327 Mangum with adjustable sights and a longer barrel. There's nothing wrong with having handguns dedicated to fun.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by fcolins357 View Post
    "Easy recoil" I'm assuming that means it's not as hard on the wrists as say the .357 mag. for range practice.
    That's what .38 special is for.

I would stick with 38/357 rather than take a flier on a cartridge that may fade away like so many others. Even if it lasted, I don't see what it could do better than a .357 magnum, where you have the choice of shooting 38 special, 38 special +p, and mild to hot .357 loads.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I would stick with 38/357 rather than take a flier on a cartridge that may fade away like so many others.
    That's about how I think about it but Ruger has a 7 shot GP100 now in 327 mag. I guess they feel it's here to stay. Probably some pretty mild recoil in that 40oz revolver.

re

yup...i'll vote for .357 as well - just shoots a good variety of loads
    sp101 are sweet - tried to find a 3" for months ended up with S&W 60PRO 3" and i love it
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    That's what .38 special is for.

I would stick with 38/357 rather than take a flier on a cartridge that may fade away like so many others. Even if it lasted, I don't see what it could do better than a .357 magnum, where you have the choice of shooting 38 special, 38 special +p, and mild to hot .357 loads.
    +1. I bought a SP101 a few months back in .357 2" bbl and I love it. The .357 gives you versatility in one handgun. 38, 38+P, .357 mild to wild. It shoots 38+P like a dream.
    Last edited by BugDude; April 29th, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: splg
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thank you folks! I appreciate the responses.
    I sort of over looked the .38/.357 as a possible answer. I guess I just got a little caught up in the excitement of looking to buy something new! I can't really argue against a proven performer like the .38 and her cousin the .357 mag.
    I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a short barrel .357 mag to add to the inventory. Thanks!

s&w j-frame and colt first, then look at the ruger. all other brands come in third.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Get a Ruger LCR..right now if you said you could take any CC Pistol(snubby) on the market for FREE..just pick one the LCR would be my choice. NONE of the others have as nice a trigger..not even close.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Well, to be honest, I've never looked into the .327. I've always planned on getting a .38/.357. But, after reading this thread, I figured I'd take a minute to see if I could go learn a few things. A little extra knowledge never hurt.

Real Guns

I came across that article. It was interesting. Can't say I'll be buying a .327, but for anyone like myself who doesn't know anything about the round, it was a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    Get a Ruger LCR..right now if you said you could take any CC Pistol(snubby) on the market for FREE..just pick one the LCR would be my choice. NONE of the others have as nice a trigger..not even close.

As I sit here, dry firing my old S&W 637, just trying to make that trigger a little bit better, I'd wholeheartedly agree. My Ruger LCR trigger was SUBSTANTIALLY better, right out of the box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links