Considering a New Carry Gun

This is a discussion on Considering a New Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought I would seek out the sage advice usually found on this forum and hear what the wise council says about sub-compact carry guns. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a New Carry Gun

I thought I would seek out the sage advice usually found on this forum and hear what the wise council says about sub-compact carry guns. I currently carry a Stoeger Cougar, but I can't determine what my issue is as of now with it. I am fairly new to conceiled carry, so I am not sure if I am just getting used to carrying, or if what I'm carrying is too much for my frame (5'9'' ~170 lbs). After a full day of CC, my back is mildly sore and I am more tired than usual. Would it be beneficial to look into a smaller framed pistol, or just keep on truckin' and walk it off with the Stoeger? Also, does anyone have any feedback on the Springfield Armory sub-compact 9mm? Thanks all.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have a XD9sc that was my EDC until recently (I bought a Kimber Pro CDP 2 that is now primary...XD is carried occasionally). I love it; great gun, very concealable, goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I don't think that you'll have much difference between the Stoeger and the XD; they are about the same size and weight. I might try a new holster or carry position before changing weapon platform, especially if you've practiced a lot with it. Move something else around, try a new holster or change carry positions first.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I'm the same build. 5'9" 170lbs and I carry a Glock 23 IWB with a spare magazine on the weak side. I can also conceal a full size 1911 very easily and carry it all day with no problems. It's due to a couple factors that I'll mention below.

A lot of the weight can be distributed with a good gun belt. Do you have a true gun belt? I mean a belt you ordered from a specialty holster maker or gun belt maker such as those available from the beltman, crossbreed, comp tac, and other holster makers? That is the primary key to being comfortable for carry as the gun won't sag. Second do you have a good holster? Sometimes you can get away with the nylon cheapos but many times you'd be better off getting a real nice holster and spend the extra money. Something from crossbreed or one of the fine leather makers that advertise on here would fit the bill. A good holster will spread the weight out over two points on either side of the gun and create less sag on one part of the gun. It can help keep the gun comfortable all day because instead of a single point pulling down, you have it spread out over your belt.

Just a couple suggestions.

Everyone is different and I don't know your medical history or anything like that. If you have a history of back problems then perhaps your method of carry and like you said, the size of the firearm plays more a role than it would for me.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

ntg
    First...welcome.

I think the XD9sc is a great carry weapon, and would be perfect if it was a little less blocky.

I'd love to own a Cougar and may still get one. I decided that I'd go with a smaller gun, but was very interested in the Cougar when I got my XD9sc.

A good belt (I use a 5.11 belt with the stiffener) makes all the difference as does a good holster. Those who carry a full sized gun, like yours, tend to have more success w/ holsters that have two clips to spread the weight (there's tons Kholster, CrossBreed ST, etc.).

Good luck.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I've got a similar build, 5'9 & 180lbs (should be 170). I can feel a bit of wear on my body after carrying my commander sized, steel framed 1911 all day....but not so bad that I won't carry it. That's probably due to the fact that I have a crappy belt though.

I carry my XD9sc most of the time and I barely notice it. It's much, much, lighter than my 1911. I carry it in a Crossbreed holster and have no problems with being tired or sore at the end of the day with the XD.

I agree with others that the XD is "blocky"...wish they would refine the profile of the slide a bit. Other than that....no complaints.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    For when you need a "Big " Little gun.....

Mine is a G33

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Smile

I have found pocket carry to be best for me. That means my Ruger LCP or my S&W 649 357 magnum snubbie. For the purpose that I am carrying I do not feel outgunned nor am I looking for the zombie invasion. I do have other weapons that carry more ammo that ride in the vehicle and go into motels with me. I just haven't found the right fit and do not want to have two different sizes of clothing, one for IWB and one for no IWB.

I agree with G26/27/33. Excellent little guns.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

While not my primary EDC the Springfield Armory XD9SC is a pistol that I carry concealed quite often. The pic shows the XD9SC with a 16 round magazine in place which is not at all hard to conceal. A subcompact with 16+1 capacity is pretty doggone good.

With a good holster and gun belt the XD9SC is exceptionally easy to carry concealed and I recommend it highly.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

+1 on quality gun belt and holster regardless of which gun you have or choose. I pocket carry and IWB a lot. A S&W 642 or 442 is a good light carry option in 38 spcl +P. If you want to go the auto route in 9mm, the Taurus PT709, Kel Tec Pf9, Kahr Pm9 are great options to look at. There are many pocket 380s, the Ruger LCP seems to be one of the most popular. In a mid-sized 9mm, the Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact is a pretty good balance of size and capacity, but it isn't the lightest in the world. Bersa makes the same gun in a 40 cal, as does Kahr in the small frame. I have a Springfield XD40sc and it's a great carry piece if you are even considering 40. The Glock 26 is a very popular sub compact 9mm, but is somewhat thicker than some of the previously mentioned. They also make the G27 in 40 that is the same size.

Regardless of what you get, the belt and holster recommendations will make all of the difference in the world in your carry experience.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Glock-26...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Take a look at the Ruger SR9C. It weighs under 25 oz., holds 10+1 rounds, it's very thin, good trigger, also comes with a sleeved 17 round magazine, and it will not break the bank at around $400 new.

SR9C:

Another great choice, around the exact size and weight as the Ruger is the Sig 250 Subcompact. Holds 12 +1 rounds. I rotate between these two guns for carry.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

You need something thin...light, reliable, accurate, durable...9mm Walther PPS!
    But, a Kahr K-9, or the Ruger SR9c are good seconds.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    G26
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TXcougar8000 View Post
    does anyone have any feedback on the Springfield Armory sub-compact 9mm? Thanks all.
    I have one, and my girlfriend and I love it. I'm sure we're around 2k rounds or so, without a single issue. No failures of any sort.

You live in Spring? You're welcomed to try mine out at the range. (Carter's country.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links