IF it's between a P3AT and an LCP...

This is a discussion on IF it's between a P3AT and an LCP... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No need to push 9mm: I'm hoping she'll accept a PM9/PF9/CW9. And *I* get the "dress around the weapon" but she's kinda new to this. ...

View Poll Results: P3AT so I can use +P, or LCP 'cuz it's better made/etc.

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • P3AT (presumably to permit higher pressure rounds)

51 32.90%
  • LCP (presumably for reliability concerns)

93 60.00%
  • Other (please explain in comments)

12 7.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IF it's between a P3AT and an LCP...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

IF it's between a P3AT and an LCP...

No need to push 9mm: I'm hoping she'll accept a PM9/PF9/CW9. And *I* get the "dress around the weapon" but she's kinda new to this. So let's not go there, please: ...yer preachin' t' th' choir.

If the demands of fashion and comfort suggest a choice between the P3AT and the LCP, how would you counsel me?

P3AT: known problems, most fixable with a fluff-and-buff; accepts occasional higher-pressure loads.

LCP: better fit and finish and Ruger has a reputation for a more durable product, but cautions against higher-pressure loads.

Seems if I'm forced into buying her a 380 (beats begging for mercy*), should I go with the P3AT and load with Buffalo Bore, or LCP and a standard pressure round?

Any other comments are welcome, too: again, width and weight are the critical issues for her, I believe. My bias is towards the PM9 (a Rohrbaugh really is too expensive for us), and I'll push that direction. This poll is to help me decide if the hotter-load question should be a big deal or not in the decision-making.

*Um, I meant her begging for mercy, not me.

2. Remove Ads

I own a Ruger LCP and used to own a Kel-Tec P32. The LCP has better build quality and I like the pattern of the grip better. They're very similar though. I had both in hard chrome and the finish on the LCP was a lot nicer.

I didn't have any real issues with either. I would definitely choose the LCP if I had to do it over again since they're about the same price. Add a Crimson Trace and Wolff Springs and it wll be a nice package.

imho these two are really close performers...if i had to make the choice i would probably take the ruger because of the cleaner/smoother edges and the slide lock - other than that i think there are tit for tat - even the price difference isn't worth mentioning
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Both great pocket pistols. I voted P3AT just because you get the option of a hard chromed slide.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Got them both....love them both. Fired the KelTec a lot more and carry it most of the time. I do like the slide lock on the LCP.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

if same price get lcp if price doesnt matter lcp. for me the keltec falls in my price range.

Had an kel tec, it broke twice in under 50 rds. The gun shop swapped it out for an LCP after the second trip to the factory. I like the LCP much more, maybe because it fires when I pull the trigger and it looks much better.

If I had to guess why the LCP is not reccomended for +P ammo, I would say it was the decision of Ruger's legal department. I bet the enginering department was fine with it!
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Niether...Sig P238...Just kidding... I like the Ruger better. Nicer gun for about the same money.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by Patria Povo View Post
    Both great pocket pistols. I voted P3AT just because you get the option of a hard chromed slide.
    LCP has a hard chrome slide version as well. See here: RUGER LCP 380ACP Hard Chrome for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $349.00.

Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    LCP has a hard chrome slide version as well. See here: RUGER LCP 380ACP Hard Chrome for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $349.00.
    Ah, cool. In that case I'd opt for the Ruger, though the Kel Tec is also very good.

P3AT and LCP

I have both, I really like my P3AT it goes wherever I go, conceals with any type of clothing, I have never had any issues it goes bang everytime. I bought my wife a LCP because she did not like the trigger slap of my P3AT. the LCP looks nicer, doesn't have as pronounced trigger slap. It goes bang everytime. I personally shoot better with my P3AT and think its easier to sight down the barrel than the LCP. I plan on putting crimson trace on the LCP but comfortable enough with my P3AT that I don't need that.
    Just my 3 cents...
    Got two of 'em, like 'em both, they are mine and I'm keeping 'em.
    XD9SC
    XD45C

If you don't care get the P3AT. If you do get the one you want.

Owned both...LCP is better made
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

LCP is the only horse in this race.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    No need to push 9mm: I'm hoping she'll accept a PM9/PF9/CW9. And *I* get the "dress around the weapon" but she's kinda new to this. So let's not go there, please: ...yer preachin' t' th' choir.

If the demands of fashion and comfort suggest a choice between the P3AT and the LCP, how would you counsel me?

P3AT: known problems, most fixable with a fluff-and-buff; accepts occasional higher-pressure loads.

LCP: better fit and finish and Ruger has a reputation for a more durable product, but cautions against higher-pressure loads.

Seems if I'm forced into buying her a 380 (beats begging for mercy*), should I go with the P3AT and load with Buffalo Bore, or LCP and a standard pressure round?

Any other comments are welcome, too: again, width and weight are the critical issues for her, I believe. My bias is towards the PM9 (a Rohrbaugh really is too expensive for us), and I'll push that direction. This poll is to help me decide if the hotter-load question should be a big deal or not in the decision-making.

*Um, I meant her begging for mercy, not me.
    I fired both before I decided to buy the P3AT.
    I have large hands with long thin fingers. The rougher texture of the Keltek helps with a surer grip. If not for that consideration, I would have taken the Ruger as the fit & finish is much better.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links