need some help and advice!

This is a discussion on need some help and advice! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the pistol scene, and just took my CCW class last weekend. i am currently looking for a pistol to carry.... what ...

Thread: need some help and advice!

I am new to the pistol scene, and just took my CCW class last weekend. i am currently looking for a pistol to carry.... what i thought i wanted i might not be what i need.
    i was looking for something in .40 s&s like the XDM but after looking i do not think it would be a good carry choice. so now i am looking at pocket guns like the ruger LCP and Kel tec p385 or taurus tcp.
    this is getting confusing to me.

maybe i should stick with a 9mm and

re

does it have to be an auto??
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

With the right holster, belt, and carry method, you can conceal more than one might think.

You can probably carry anything as long as you have the right holster and belt to go with it. That being said, smaller might be easier to carry but if this is being your first pistol then you might want to get something bigger than an LCP that you would be comfortable using at the range.

Go to your local shop and handle some of the sub compact guns like a Glock 26 and M&Pc. Then compare to a full size gun. See the differences. Also feel the difference in grip length. You want to be able to comfortably practice with whatever you carry. Rent a few guns if you can and find what you like.

If you are lucky someone might be in your area and would allow you to try a couple of their guns and you'd get a feel for different ones. Otherwise Rent.

Choosing your first gun and making that gun your carry is a very difficult task. If you don't need an auto and would consider a revolver that opens up a lot of new options.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Don't overlook the Kahr CW9. Light weight, 9mm, easy to conceal, accurate, fairly priced. One of the best secrets in concealed carry. Definately a good gun for the first time carrier or purchaser.

My first carry was a .380, Bersa to be exact. It was a good learner-carry pistol for me. Unfortunately, you will want something better very soon. I would start with the gun you really want first. If you spend the money on a good holster, you should be able to carry what you want. If I were you, I wouldn't start with a full size though. You will probably feel paranoid that it is showing or printing. Get yourself a nice compact and a .40 will do nicely. I don't own a .40, but have shot them and it will serve you well.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

In the same boat!

I just got my gun permit. I just joined this forum in hopes of getting recommendations on guns. I went into the store and every guy in there tried to push on me the guns they carry. I am a small female ( 5"2" 109lbs) and would prefer one to carry and one to keep in my home somewhere. I live alone and after a bad incident I don't want to leave myself unprotected or helpless ever again. I work in a hospital so a lot of times I have to walk through a parking lot in the dark at night or go into my house at odd hours. I need something light enough to carry but something that I can work easily and effortlessly. Any suggestions???

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    Don't overlook the Kahr CW9. Light weight, 9mm, easy to conceal, accurate, fairly priced. One of the best secrets in concealed carry. Definately a good gun for the first time carrier or purchaser.
    Good choice for a first time concealed carrier! Small, light, beautiful and well built. It is thin and easy to conceal comfortably!

An XD9sc or XD40sc would also be worthy of checking out.

Glock also makes excellent compacts that should be looked at.

Skip the .380 and go 9mm or .40sw.

.380 is a good choice for a backup gun but, in my humble opinion, not a good primary carry piece particularly for a newb. You have to be much more accurate with shot placement with a .380 to do real damage.

The XD-M is a big gun and, while it can certainly be carried successfully, it might not be a good choice for a first time carrier. It would take some getting used too.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torri2cutie1 View Post
    I just got my gun permit. I just joined this forum in hopes of getting recommendations on guns. I went into the store and every guy in there tried to push on me the guns they carry. I am a small female ( 5"2" 109lbs) and would prefer one to carry and one to keep in my home somewhere. I live alone and after a bad incident I don't want to leave myself unprotected or helpless ever again. I work in a hospital so a lot of times I have to walk through a parking lot in the dark at night or go into my house at odd hours. I need something light enough to carry but something that I can work easily and effortlessly. Any suggestions???
    You probably should make your own post for your question. Not flaming you but it is considered "thread jacking" to use someone else thread for your own purposes.

However, just in case, I will put in my two cents.

Working at a hospital may preclude you from carrying a gun into the hospital. Keeping it in your car will be of no help if you were accosted as you leave the building. Check with your boss to see what they will allow you to do. I would bet they will say "No firearms allowed" at work.

As to the weapon of choice, that will be entirely up to you to decide. If you want a gun that is easy to work (assuming you mean to operate the slide and/or loading and cleaning) it would probably mean revolver. It could also be a small automatic but a lot of women and men that have smaller hands, or are just not that strong, may find most mid to large autos just too difficult to operate easily. Revolvers require nearly no strength to operate and load. They are also very reliable and usually work every time with little to no chance of a jam.

I would suggest a .357magnum just because it will shoot both .357mag and .38 special. It will be a little heavier but having the ability to shoot both loads is a plus in my book. Charter, Smith & Wesson or Ruger would be my suggestion as to brands to choose from.

If you like automatics better, then look in to Kahr CW series in 9mm. Also, compact Glocks are a good choice as they are easier to rack the slide than with many other mid sized automatics..

Revolvers are also safer to carry in a purse. Fumbling for an auto pistol, when in a bad situation, might just lead to an unintended discharge.
    I would suggest a trip to a gun store, along with an unbiased friend, and see what you like best. Try them all. Pull the trigger. Work the action. Don't listen to the guys that try to sell you a big gun. Choose what you are comfortable with and can use effectively.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I've had a Glock 19 coming up on twenty years, also have a Glock 26. Both of these are 9mm the 26 especially is easy to keep out of sight. It should be fairly easy to find one of these to try out and see how you like it. I like .38 snubbies as well your choices there are great. I would look for a .38 rated for +P ammo however.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

well of all the guns i have handled i like the XDm 9 and the S&W m&p 9 the best. i am planning on going to the local range and rent those 2 and maybe shoot a XD in .40 s&w which was my first choice in cal. but after looking at ammo i think the 9mm would be better suited for me to start with not much cheaper but none the less. least expensive. plus i believe it will eventually turn into a night stand pistol for the wife! as far as the glock so far i have not found one that fits my hand to my liking! another gun i am curious about is the Ruger RC9
    Last edited by creekchub; April 29th, 2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: additon

creekchub - you want 9mm, thin and light (to a point), dont get too light and small of a 9mm. You are on the right track with the Ruger SR9c..also give the Walther PPS a good look...very good quality German firearms.

look at the wather tonight and it a good piece just for now to much $$
    i did however like the m&P 9 compact felt good and i am itching to shoot it tomorrow, when i go an rent a few pistols to try. i would realy like to stick with an auto loader. if and when i do get a revolver it with be for hunting purposes and probably in .41 rem mag
    Last edited by creekchub; May 1st, 2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: addition

Links