New to guns and gun forum! I need help getting a gun!

This is a discussion on New to guns and gun forum! I need help getting a gun! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my gun permit. I just joined this forum in hopes of getting recommendations on guns. I went into the store and every ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to guns and gun forum! I need help getting a gun!

New to guns and gun forum! I need help getting a gun!

I just got my gun permit. I just joined this forum in hopes of getting recommendations on guns. I went into the store and every guy in there tried to push on me the guns they carry. I am a small female ( 5"2" 109lbs) and would prefer one to carry and one to keep in my home somewhere. I live alone and after a bad incident I don't want to leave myself unprotected or helpless ever again. I work in a hospital so a lot of times I have to walk through a parking lot in the dark at night or go into my house at odd hours. I need something light enough to carry but something that I can work easily and effortlessly. Any suggestions???

2. Remove Ads

Welcome!!! Lots of good folks here that can assist you in options to consider. Are you looking for a revolver or a semi-auto? Or are you undecided on that aspect?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Welcome aboard. Go to a local range and rent some guns... start out with a 9mm and see how it goes..a glock, XD or M&P is going to be the easiest to operate. A good 38 special revolver would be a good choice..Taurus 85UL, S&W 642 or a Ruger LCR. Take a look at the pocket sized 380s...Ruger LCP, Keltecs or a Sig P238 or P232, Bersa makes some great 380s. There are alot of choices out there. But you have to find something you are comfortable with. What feels good in your hands and you can manipulate. I hope this helps. Robbie

Revolvers are easy to load, operate, and maintain. The Smith & Wesson 642 or 442 is a very light and small snub nosed 38 special revolver. Fits well in smallish hands, but shooting 38+P defense ammo can have a lot of recoil. That's one drawback to most any light gun.

If recoil is a concern, then consider the Bersa Thunder .380. It is a small semi-automatic that shoots very smooth and accurate.

Just a couple of options to consider, research, and check out at your local gun shop. I'm sure others will have lots of ideas as well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A friend of mines wife is taking her CCL class and is using a Sig P238 because its the only thing that she can rack the slide comfortably and the recoil is light and she is accurate with it. If you get a caliber that is too big for you, you will develop bad habits that are hard to get out of.

los
    Welcome, T2.

What firearm did you use to qualify for your permit? Whats your budget?

BTW, my GF is 4'11" and weighs 105. She has small hands but has no problem controlling my PT709 Slim (9mm). Also, the Slim is relatively inexpensive.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Welcome Torri.

I too work in a hospital and unfortunately can't carry in the building. Check with your employer and check your local laws.

Choose something you can handle and that fits your grip well. Beware of gun shop cowboys that push you into a gun that isn't comfortable to you. Brand names over not-so-well known name products too. You don't want to sacrifice when your life is involved.

That being said, a good small revolver is often a good choice for the "new" to guns person because if you pull the trigger and don't hear a BANG!, you need only pull the trigger again to achieve the desired result. Small autos are also a good choice but with a slightly higher learning curve E.g. clearing a jam or dud round that didn't fire.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/022188028104.html for example

There are alot of helpful folks here (besides me) that like to share. Although I am considering making a run for the Thread Killer Title.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Welcom Aboard Torri! Getting that first sidearm can be daunting.
    First off, how do you think you'll be carrying your sidearm most of the time.....inside the waistband, paddle holster, purse carry (not recommended), etc.?

Also, will your 'bedside' gun next to the bed all the time.....perhaps a shotgun 'might' be a good choice as well.

I'd recomment finding that carry gun first. That can serve as a 'bedside' gun as well until your ready to get number two. A small .38 caliber revolver or 9mm semi-auto sounds like the way to go for your carry needs.

Best bet, if possible, would be to find a gun range that rents a few guns and try out what looks good after you figure how you expect to carry this sidearm. Are there any ranges close by you that fit this discreption?

There are a gaggle of very slim, small, and exceptionally 'shootable' 9mm's out there....Ket-Tec's come to mind right off hand but other members here can help us out with specifics.

I'm a glock guy for the most part but what's right for me and you are diffrent indeed. Also, ignore those gun-shop ninja's and stay focused on you.

Bravo Zulu for looking around and asking the questions.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Welcome to the forum Torri2Cutie1

I would suggest a .38 special snubnose revolver in a lightweight version.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

In Tampa, there is a store called Shoot Straight. Very helpful and extremely well stocked. If you google it, you should find it, though I think it is shootstraighttampa.com

My recommendation would be a Ruger LCR revolver. It is comfortable to shoot and the trigger pull is especially easy. I bought one for my wife and had my mother shoot it also. It is much easier to shoot than the Smith and Wesson's.

With a revolver, you don't have to worry about anything except pulling the trigger.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

Cornered Cat
    This site is about women and guns, not about cats. But in a way, it's about the cornered cat in all of us. It's about the determination to get away from an attacker if you need to. It's about making the decision to say, "Not me. Not mine. Not today." And it's about the tools to make that decision stick.
    There's tons of useful stuff there. I've even found it useful as I've only had my permit a year. It's a learning process.

Hi and welcome.

Shooting Sports near Dale Mabry and Waters Ave is pretty good. If you can go there around lunch time during the week there are less people there which allows you to relax and take your time. I want to say that for $20 you can rent as many guns as you want. The guys there are pretty good and helpful too..

As for what to get, the best advice would be to try/rent and find whats best for you.

Yeah, I second the motion to tell the gun shop tactical ninjas to stuff it. You will bee able to spot one of these goof balls from a mile away!

The first question you will need to answer is how are you going to carry. All the women I know but one put them in their purse... I think it is a bad idea, but it is your gun and your purse. You have few other options if you wear scrubs to work. Most carry options require a belt. If you do purse carry, make sure the gun is still holstered in some way for safety. I would also reccomend a revolver because they arent as sensitive to purse and pocket junk getting into them.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I can carry it not while working but it can be stored in my locker while I see patients. I shot a small smith and wesson at the gun range and to be honest it is a little scary for me. I want to make sure I get two good reliable guns as I am worried and want to make sure I can operate it easily and use it if needed. Also it should be small enough to go in a purse or if needed be strapped to me. Any suggestions for a girl wearing a gun? Its hard to conceal it in womens clothing.

I am afraid if it is in my purse I wont be able to access it easily. I dont know many thieves, muggers or rapists that allow you to rummage through your purse while they hold you up! I need to conceal it but not sure how and want a small enough gun but easy to use.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links