Help me decide: G19 or G26?

This is a discussion on Help me decide: G19 or G26? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only advantage I see for a 26 over a 19 is on ankle carry and I have never been a real fan of that ...

View Poll Results: Help me decide: G19 or G26?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock model 19

84 70.00%
  • Glock model 26

36 30.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Help me decide: G19 or G26?

The only advantage I see for a 26 over a 19 is on ankle carry and I have never been a real fan of that mode. I am 5'11" and weigh 175 lbs and my Glock 23 hides just fine in a High Noon Public Secret in appendix carry under a 5-11 Covert Casual shirt for warm weather wear. Good luck on your decision.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

I agree with the poll results and those whom have said the G19. The sub-compact Glock is what I started my CC days with, and they're good and reliable. Just a few years ago I purchased my very first compact model, and it was a G19. Finally found what I'd been missing all this time, and just as concealable as the subs for me. To me, the G19 is the epitome of Glock pistols for many reasons. IMO, you get a G19 and you may never see the need for a G26. On the other hand, you get a G26, and you might feel the urge to get a G19. Nothing's wrong with growing your collection of Glocks and finding the sweet spot for your carry proposition. Thing is, if you want to think about it twice, and do it once, the G19 is the way to go IMO. Truth be known...and my lengthy history with Glocks....it should have been my first as well. Then again if it had have been, I wouldn't have all those other experiences with other Glock pistols. I'll almost guarantee that the G19 fits, functions well, and gets carried by more folks than any other Glock pistol. On a budget, and considering all things on where to start, the G19 is it. If you want a Glock as a first or only CC pistol this is the place to start IMO. Spend the rest of your valuable time and money at the range, on a holster, or buying ammo. The G19 is it!

I want to throw a little twist to this conversation if I could. I currently carry a Glock 23. I was looking at a smaller Glock. A 27 to stay with .40 or go to a 30 or 36 (slimmer) and go with .45.
    I read all this info here and folks really like the Glock 19 and 26 in 9mm. SO what is better? Is it up to the individual to decide or is one better than another? Thanks for the input.

The small difference in handle length can make a MASSIVE difference in ability to conceal depending on your body shape and weight. If your a "skinny guy" Under 180 pounds I suggest the 26. If your Over 180 pounds I would suggest the 19.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    I want to throw a little twist to this conversation if I could. I currently carry a Glock 23. I was looking at a smaller Glock. A 27 to stay with .40 or go to a 30 or 36 (slimmer) and go with .45.
    I read all this info here and folks really like the Glock 19 and 26 in 9mm. SO what is better? Is it up to the individual to decide or is one better than another? Thanks for the input.
    Personally I think the glock 36 is chunky for a single stack .45. I would recommend the kahr CW45/PM45 in that role. If width isn't a deciding factor for you the glock 30 is a fine weapon. I like compact 45's (I own a PT145) but they are to thick for me to carry well in just a t-shirt unless I wear it a size to large which I don't like to do because I think it looks sloppy.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I voted G19. I currently own both. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck holster that fits both and I have found myself carrying the G19 more because I can't really tell the difference with the Crossbreed and a bull hide belt from Beltman. With that said, I really like the additional rounds you get with the G19 at little to no loss in comfort.

Over the past 30 plus years, I've been training police officers and normal folks to shoot. From day one with mostly revolver training, I've steered new shooters towards the then 4" or longer revolvers for personal defence weapons. Fast foward to the day of the semi-automatic pistol as the norm, I still steer new shooters towards the
    4" pistols. For most new shooters I would aim towards the Glock 19 and similer pistols. In my opinion, the larger, longer barreled pistols are easier to get a new shooter on the paper and into the 10 ring.
    That being said, the OP has some very specific needs, ie. absolutly no printing, and a limited budge. Although I prefer to carry my Glock 23, there are times the shorter grip length of my Glock 27 works better for my concealment needs. To fit the OP's current needs, I would lean towards the Glock 26, a quality holster/belt, and plenty of quality trigger time.
    Randy

This is really going to come down to what you need now and eventually want to have. I faced a very similar set of circumstances and chose the G26 over the G19. I'll talk about my decision making and maybe that helps you. The biggest distinctions will be toward the bottom but this is the sum all of the path I chose.

I will say that in the end for your purpose, there is no wrong or bad choice here between these two, just preference and options now/down the road.

- I wanted a 9mm to make it easy for my wife to also shoot. I wanted something dead reliable that would serve primary duty of carry and home defense (at least until I got to my shotgun which is preferred).
    - I'm a fairly big guy 6'3" and 250 so I know I can potentially conceal a lot of gun. The issues I face are 1) My dress can vary from business suit to shorts and T-shirt 2) I have small kids and like to be able to play and at least be active/running/bending and not draw too much attention (they play with other kids and parents around too and I'd prefer not to advertise) 3) My workplace has a no firearms rule in the handbook and while I don't plan to violate that rule, I want something that could potentially work for deep carry in a business casual environment where I'm pretty visible
    - I spent time on GlockTalk which is really a good place for asking Glock vs. Glock questions. There's a lot of love for the G26 and a huge number of people who own both shoot it as well or better than the G19 and G17 - sight radius, grip be damned. Check out Hickok45's YouTube videos if you doubt the accuracy of the gun. On top of that a good number prefer the G26 and you find constant threads with people who love to shoot it and think it's the sweetest shooting Glock and very easy to put together strings of follow-up shots. That's all well and nice but what it does for me is show me that it's an accurate enough platform and I'm not giving up much gun as far as function and accuracy.
    - Capacity is where you do give it up but 10+1 is pretty good. Certainly better than JFrame capacity but at a minimum you have that. You can also use a G19 Mag and sleeve or extensions if you need 15+1. I have 2 G19 mags and one has an A&G sleeve that I have in at night for the house or if I'm going to be carrying with a coat or less restrictive clothing on.
    - I also shot both guns. G26 I shot was great. If you have grip issues there is always the GAP floorplate which a lot of people swear by. Adds no bulk and no length but can provide a firmer grip if you need it. I don't but it's there for some.
    - Regardless of what specs say the G26 has a smaller grip as those 5 extra rounds in the G19 aren't free space. The grip/butt is the main issue in concealing IWB. While I can comfortably hide a G19, the G26 is invisible, I can move around a hell of a lot more and give nothing away. I know this because I can put in my G19 mag and while still okay, it's a lot more obvious. I can and do carry with the G19 mag in when I feel I need it or I can just as easily hide it. Measurment stats are measurement stats but go to a gun store, get a 26 and IWB holser, have them throw in a G19 mag and spacer - compare versus the G26 mag bending and moving around some. That will resolve the question in your mind one way or another. Given the concealability requirements you state are similar to mine and your body type is quite a bit less conducive to concealing a larger frame, you should really factor this part in. All the advantage of flexability here. Maybe I demand more concealability than others but doing this with a mirror was a big one for me.

- Given that I want to have this under a number of different clothing scenarios the 10+1 really opens this up. I can pocket carry the G26 in a kydex pocket holster I have (plenty of others work too, Nemisis, Galco horsehide is also a favorite it seems). It's a lump but it can be done and my pockets are big enough to toss it in with a Don Hume IWB if I need to. Note that this absolutely cannot be done with the G19 unless your pockets are monstrous. The longer grip absolutely prevents it in many of the pockets where the G26 works just fine and getting the gun out fast is very hard even when it can work.
    - There is some agrument about the +2 or +1 pinky extensions but what most people miss is that they are angled and still minimize the bulk of the grip vs. a G19 where there is no angle toward the back. Again the difference is significant although a bit less so the flat mag or mag with GAP floorplate.
    - Home defense is a non issue with the G19 or larger mag, hell you could even slap in a G18 mag and have yourself SMG capacity if it came to it. I only have the one spacer on the G19 mag for carry and so my clothes don't get hung up. They function fine without any spacers.
    - Even with all of that, I might still have gone G19. Why didn't I...season, Summer is coming and I'll be in light shirts and shorts a lot more. Hell we have the A/C on today already.
    - Will I eventually pick up a G19, maybe but a G17 is higher on my list and I'm having trouble seeing the need for the G19 other than to complete a collection if you already have the G26 and G17 given all the expandability of the G26.

I did consider a G27 but I don't care for the 40 round in the small gun. You can swap out parts cheaply and fast making the 27 into a 9mm and 357 sig compatible but that's unimportant to me. I don't trust aftermarket conversion barrels in a carry piece and I want to practice with what I carry which is also the cheapest defensive ammo. Good to go.

Maybe that helps but that was my process and ultimate decision. Very happy with it and no regrets.

Thumbs up ...

buy both... thats what im doin...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

They are both very good at the range and carry... some would say the 19 is a better range gun, but the 26 was very close to the 19 in accuracy right out of the box... I had the 19 first, then purchased the 26... both are great choices... so that being said... I'd have to lean toward the 26 because it's a little easier to conceal.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

los
    Apples to Apples, of the two, the 26 will always conceal better.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I voted G19.

You didn't include 'both' in your poll. What you really need is both. So, start with the 19. With minimal effort you can conceal it very effectively. When you've got the funds, then buy the 26 for another option.

More important than the conceal-ability of the 26, is the training and mind-set that you need. Get the 19, it will be easier to train with, get training. After you've done that, then get the 26, to give you more options.

Remember; 1 is none and 2 is one.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Simple. Can you conceal the 19 adequately? If so, get it. More rounds. If concealing it is a problem, go for the 26. Still a respectful number of rounds. Operationally, no difference.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

g26 w/ grip reduction from coldborecustom.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links