A question about Colt Defender.

A question about Colt Defender.

This is a discussion on A question about Colt Defender. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder if any of you could please tell the Colt Defender’s dimensions. The Colt’s site shows only the overall length and the barrel length, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Colt Defender.

GM [OP]

Question A question about Colt Defender.

I wonder if any of you could please tell the Colt Defender’s dimensions. The Colt’s site shows only the overall length and the barrel length, but I would like to know the height and the slide width (I can imagine that the wrap-around grips make the gun much thicker). Thank you so much
    Last edited by GM; April 30th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

These are rough demensions taken off the same platform. Hope it helps.

Height- 4 3/4 including rear sight.
    Width of the slide- 15/16ths
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    These are rough demensions taken off the same platform. Hope it helps.

Height- 4 3/4 including rear sight.
    Width of the slide- 15/16ths
    Thank you so much; it does help a lot. It looks like there are not so many Defenders owners here

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Thank you so much; it does help a lot. It looks like there are not so many Defenders owners here
    - I've been eyeing the Colt New Agent, but I don't need another gun right now.

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Well, I am not sure I really needed every gun that I “absolutely needed”

I would pass on the New Agent. I loved mine until I shot it. Very uncomfortable to shoot and not even close to matching the quality of my Kimbers. My hand ended up looking like this guys (caused by the different style grip safety on the Colt)....

You're a Kahr guy right? I would suggest the PM45 over the Colt. Or the Kimber RCP although it's about $100-200 more then the Colt.

Sorry to hijack the thread just trying to stop someone from making the same mistake i did
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I would pass on the New Agent. I loved mine until I shot it. Very uncomfortable to shoot and not even close to matching the quality of my Kimbers. My hand ended up looking like this guys (caused by the different style grip safety on the Colt)....
    - Yikes. That's definitely not nice.

You're a Kahr guy right? I would suggest the PM45 over the Colt. Or the Kimber RCP although it's about $100-200 more then the Colt.
    - It's not really the .45 that I'm interested in as much as a 1911 itself. It's not going to be for carry, but more of a range gun for fun. I was avoiding the full size in the event that I do carry it at some point.

You're looking for a Commander sized 1911. 4.25" barrel.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    love mine sorry dident get back to u sooner havent been able to post
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i got one if u need more info
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

- Yikes. That's definitely not nice.

- It's not really the .45 that I'm interested in as much as a 1911 itself. It's not going to be for carry, but more of a range gun for fun. I was avoiding the full size in the event that I do carry it at some point.
    There was definitely nothing fun about shooting the New Agent
    I would say go for one like my newest acquisition, Kimber Stainless Pro TLE/RL II....

Sorry for the stock google photo
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Sorry to hijack the thread just trying to stop someone from making the same mistake i did
    How much did you shoot it? My hand ended up looking slightly the same but that was after a few hundred rounds within an hour..

Quote Originally Posted by xjakex View Post
    How much did you shoot it? My hand ended up looking slightly the same but that was after a few hundred rounds within an hour..
    3 separate range trips of 150-200 rounds each trip. Beat me up every time and just couldn't figure out how to shoot it accurately.

I know this is an older thread, but what the?? I was looking at the Colt New Agent. What is with the wounds on the hand????????? Is that from the slide??

Colt 1911 hammer design

The original Colt 1911 "tang" hammer and grip safety design did have the tendency to beat up the web of your hand, depending upon how you held the gun and how many rounds you shot in one session. I have had several of these older Colt 1911s and would notice a mark on my hand after shooting them. The first picture below shows a 1968 vintage Colt Gold Cup with this old design. The second photo shows the same gun after I had it modified by a gunsmith to install a Wilson Combat beavertail grip safety and matching hammer. The wide web of the beavertail protects my hand and the gun is now painless to shoot.

The third photo is my Colt Defender with a Wilson drop-in beavertail grip safety and the original Colt hammer. This gun is also painless to shoot.

For some reason Colt used the original "tang" hammer design on the New Agent model, but used a commander style "ring" hammer on the Defender. I prefer the Defender hammer.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links