Defensive Carry banner

Kahr P380

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Theodore Eber 
#1 ·
I picked up a Kahr P380 the other day and I absolutely love it. I've carried a .380 for over a decade now and it fills a definate requirement for me.

The Colt Pony Pocketlite has been the "American Express" gun for me for quite some time. I bought one in the mid 90's, then bought a second one when I found out they stopped making them. A couple of years later I bought one that had been customized by Scott, McDougal and Associates of the old .380.com. I thought that was the best pocket carry gun - period. It has a melt job, XS Big Dot sights, trigger job, the works.

Why then did I look at the Kahr? Well to start off I've had a PM9 for about a year. It replaces my SMA Pony in my pocket about half the time. When I bought it I compared it to the .380 back and forth for a while and decided to go with the 9. It was the Kahr's trigger that convinced me. I shoot my PM9 better than I shoot my Pony.

Now that I've picked up the P380 there will be no looking back. It is by far the best .380 out there. I have a Seecamp .32 and I like the Kahr better. I've shot a friends Keltec P3AT and there is no comparison.

I put a hundred WWB flat nose fmj rounds through it on the first trip to the range and there wasn't a single hiccup. I hit the rails with a little Mil-Tech lubricant and it sailed through the ball ammo. I then took about 30 miss matched .380 rounds and loaded them up. Glasers, Magtech, Hydra Shocks, Corbons you name it I fired it. Again not a single hiccup.

There have been many times that I have suffered "buyer's remorse" after my first trip to the range with a new gun. Not this time.

How does it get any better? The Kahr fits my Pony pocket holsters!

I absolutely love this gun. I may put a set of XS Big Dot sights on it in the future and will probably play around with a Hogue Hand All and maybe I will put a grip extension on one of my magazines but that will be it. This gun is good to go out of the box.

Stay safe,

Rick

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you love yours, and I LOVE mine too! I just put the crimson trace laser grip on mine, and I'm good to go. The laser is hard to see during the day, so the XS sights are a good idea, I'll look in to that next. Good luck! and practice often, this little gun is the most accurate small 380 I've ever seen. LOVE IT

#3 ·
I have a Kahr P380 that I just sent in to Kahr for repair. It's a great gun and my favorite .380ACP, but I started to have issues with the slide locking back prematurely. I previously have about 600+ rounds through it with no issues.

I was debating simply taking a dremel and taking material off the slide lock, but I'll let Kahr have a chance at it first.

#4 ·
I love my Kahr P380 but also bought a Sig P238 today! Now I have what I consider 2 quality pocket .380's. Here's the way I look at it, my Glocks are my SHTF guns and my Kahr and Sig .380's are my Every Day Carry without a doubt carry guns. I've had my Kahr P380 for over a year, with over 1,000 rounds through it, very few problems. Since I just got my SIG P238 today, I will give it my 1,000 round trigger job, then get back to y' all with the results. :ticking:

#6 ·
You guys must be luckier than me. I bought a P380 because I wanted a small conceal carry and in Caliunicornia it is about the only choice. I'm an old coot and I had trouble with the strong recoil spring so, I was never able to fire it. I have a Bursa Firestorm (I love this one) and a M&K Shield with no such issue. So I put it on consignment at a local range at my new home state, Minisnowda, but they declined it saying it was unsafe because the trigger pull was 'squishy'. There was no satisfying click when the trigger was pulled and it fired a second after the pull. Any one else have a problem with a P380?

#7 ·
Yes, I had problems with both the P380 and the PM9. The trigger was NOT a problem. They had great triggers. Upon dry firing them the first time at the LGS, I also questioned the trigger. It felt very different to anything that I had ever experienced. However, in actual firing, it was one of the best triggers that I had ever experienced.
They were also soft shooting and very accurate. They were very small and I thought, good looking. I put over 500 rounds through both of them.

I have somewhat forgotten all the problems that I had... one was the P380 not returning to battery. Sent it back to factory, they installed a stronger spring. I could no longer rack the slide.
The PM9, I just don't remember but I was happy to get rid of both of them and vowed to never buy another one. These were both early models. Maybe they have changed.

#8 ·
Some owners need to understand kahr has the tightest chambers you may ever find in a pistol so they can be ammo picky and they have the heaviest recoil for cartridges . Use the cheapest ammo your can find or the lighest bullets and it may not run well for some time till its well broken it . My first kahr was a cw9 bought off a man at a forestry range when he had function /cycle issues . He got man and asked if any one wanted it for 150 bucks . I bought it . Cleaned and well lubed it ran like a champ for me with my normal practice load , a 125gr coated swc at 1150fps for the next several thousand rounds I fired and it liked underwood 124gr gold dot p+ ammo too before picking up a new TP 40 Kahr .

#9 ·
I would rather learn quietly how to make a brand of pistol to run properly rather than to showcase my own inability to make a simple machine like a pistol to work like it should.....and then come here, and post my own incompetence for the rest of the world to see. Kahr rookies really annoy the beejeebees out of me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.