Defensive Carry banner

Looking at kahr cw9 for summer ccw

5K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  lance22 
#1 ·
Looking for some help on this 9mm pistol. I now carry a glock 19
but looking for small 9mm for summer ccw here in the heat of fla.
I really like the looks and features of the kahr cw9 but i would like
some opinions from kahr owners.
Thanks all

#2 ·
I had a chance to try a Kahr 9mm at a range recently and found it to be a very pleasant shooter - completely unlike the Kel-Tec, which was harsh and painful. I'm a revolver guy, snub-nose for CCW, but I'm always trying out semi-autos and may get one someday. The Taurus Slim 9mm and Kahr are both easy to carry and conceal.

#3 ·
I carry a Kahr cw40, which is the same gun only in 40 caliber. I really like the gun for carry. I chose it over a glock because I didn't have the money for a glock when I got my chl, but also because I am thin and width of the glock created quite a rather large bulge carring iwb. I have been happy with the gun after the initial breakin of about 300 rounds. Had a lot of ftf's at first, but it seems as though the gun has loosened up and runs well now. The weight is nice too, very light for a 40 cal with 6 & 1. I think you would like the gun.

#4 ·
Is the CW9 pocket carry friendly?

I've been looking for a 2nd auto for pocket carry but I'm holding back on the Kahr due to the weight (16oz) pushing 9mm. I owned a Kel-tec P11 and it was hell on my hands when shooting so I didn't get as much range time as I would liked.

#5 ·
I would recommend that you try out a Kel Tec PF9 it makes a very nice summer carry in 9mm.

#24 ·
I own both a PM9 and CW40 and there is no difference in build quality (quality of manufacture) at all between the two handguns. Its only about features not quality of the build.

The differences between the CW and P series are as follows:

The CW series have conventional rifling, instead of match grade polygonal rifling like the PM series

The CW series have a MIM (metal-injection-molded) slide stop lever, instead of a machined slide stop lever

The CW Series cannot be retrofitted with night sights because the slide does not have a front dovetail cut.

The CW Series slide have fewer machining operations; and the CW Series have simple engraving on the slide instead of rollmarking.

The CW Series are shipped with one magazine instead of two.

As far as a Kahr vs Kel Tec.......its not a fair fight, the Kahr is superior in every way.

#7 ·
I have a cw9. Love it, but would not consider it a pocket carry gun.
I am male, 5'8" and 144 lbs (thin). I carry the cw9 on belt in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide at 2:30 position.

If you want pocket carry, I would also suggest the pm9. I want one of those myself.

#8 ·
Thanks for your quick input.Much appreciated,my buddy is at the jacksonville gun show this weekend and will pk me up a kahr if he sees a good one.I have handled the kahr,I work 2 area shows here in so. fla. and it seemed perfect for ccw and felt good in hand.I would love a walther ppk but I have heard too many problem stories.

#9 ·
Very nice gun...

I carry a Kahr CW9 and I shoot it in the local IDPA competitions. I've found it to be very reliable and accurate. My buddy bought a Kahr PM9 and has had problems with the feeding of ammunition with it. I really like my Kahr CW9. The only thing I've found is that I had to get out of my habit of placing my right thumb straight as it would interfere with the slide lock which caused the slide lock not to engage occasionally. I overcame that by curling my thumb downwards which is also gives me a stronger grip.

Buy it, you will not be sorry.

#10 ·
The CW9 is my primary carry gun. 200+ rounds so far and not one single problem. It shoots like a more expensive pistol than it is, so the bang for the buck is great.

I carry mine in a supertuck and because it is so thin you forget it's even there most of the time. I wouldn't think anyone could carry it in a pocket though, probably would have to go to a PM9 and even then you would have to have pretty big pockets.

#12 ·
I have a Kahr PM9 and it's a great gun. IMO, it's still a little large for pocket carry, especially in jeans.

#14 ·
In general, Kahrs seem to be fairly tight. Especially in the shorter PM series, they can have cycling issues. I've got a CW9 myself, and it's pretty good, though it still doesn't have more than several hundreds of rounds through it. It'll keep getting better, as it wears and relaxes.

The K9, P9, CW9 pistols ride very flat against the body. The CW9 is light, too. Very easy to carry IWB or OWB in a well-designed holster and solid gun belt. Of course, it's a single-stack 9mm, so it doesn't have the capacity of other double-stack variants that are similarly sized, but then the Kahrs are much thinner against the body than all of them.

Particularly if you can find a used Kahr from someone that has a good couple thousand rounds through it error-free, and has documented that, then you'll probably have a winner.

I'd recommend the CW9 as a high-quality carry gun.

Something to consider, though: The G19 is one heck of a good concealment pistol in the "compact" size range. IMO, the Kahr K9, P9 and CW9 pistols aren't noticeably more concealable or easier to carry than the G19. For 20yrs, the G19 has been well-recognized as being one of the best in this regard. I don't think that you'll find the CW9 to be much smaller, easier to carry, or more concealable.

#16 ·
Don't get me wrong now, I love my G19, easy to say best firearm I have owned.It's very accurate the more rds you put through it and I carry it in a elite tactical nice sturdy nylon IWB in warm weather or a fobus tactical paddle when it's a little cooler and hides nicely.Just would like a smaller ccw of the same caliber and DA only.I wanted a Walther so bad but the problems bug me.You guys have given me so much good stuff!! Thanks a million!!

#17 ·
You will love the CW9. When I bought mine a year and a half ago, I immediately sold my PF9 which is almost exactly the same size and was somewhat ammo finicky. The CW9 has been in my pocket ever since up until last month when I bought a PM45. The 45 is actually slightly smaller than the 9mm, but only carries 6 rounds. Both are 100% reliable and will easily fit in a jacket or pants pocket.

#20 ·
I like the idea of the 9mm because of my large stock of ammo for my glock and price of 9mm is great online.But .40 or .45 is tempting as long as I don't put in alot of range time-expensive!

#22 ·
CW9

I have several great pistols including the CW9. Mine now has more then 400 trouble free rounds down range. It is wonderful to carry. I have said this before, compact, light, thin, accurate and reliable. Hard to beat. It is not a pocket pistol. It is not to long in the barrel, but the grip is too long. I have carried it in Dockers or jeans using an Uncle Mike's pocket pal #3. It really makes a big bulge. It carries easily IWB or OWB with a cover garment.

-- Richard

#23 ·
I pretty much retired my G36 when I bought my CW9. Great shooting, flat, easier to conceal. Ammo is cheaper and the CW9 holds 1 more round in a standard mag. I'm in the process of installing a set of Dawson Precision sights. They will hopefully improve an already great gun.

#25 ·
my CW9 is only at the 700+ round count... all 100% flawless. At only 0.9 inch width, it's very comfortable to carry IWB with "normal fitting" jeans....no need to get them an inch or two larger in the waist an needed for IWB carry of the wider framed handguns. The CW9 is no less quality than the PM series (other than basic cosmetic features), and is only slightly larger than the PF9. There's nothing wrong with the KT PF9 (I am a KT fan), but I have to admit that the CW9 is really in a different class.

surv

edit to add.... yes, the CW series CAN be fitted with Trijicon Tritium night sights.... been available since last December (I like mine :) )

also CW = roll mark.... PM = laser engraved

#26 ·
I like my Kahrs (CW-9 one for me, one for the wifey)---also have Walther PPS (9mm) another really good small and thin 9mm---still a little too large for pocket carry unless you wear "cargo" style pants or shorts, then OK. Kahr PM-9 is a viable choice for pocket carry, but I find the grip just a tad short. Personally, I find the small .40 cals just a bit snappy and the women folk don't much care for the .40s either. Myself, I go for the cargo pants or IWB holster for the CW-9 or the PPS.

#27 ·
bikerboy: It did take several hundred rounds to break it in and get my PPK/S to run right; plus I changed out the recoil spring for a Wolff 16 lb rather than use the stock 20 lb spring and had the ramp polished. I only use Walther branded magazines, and shoot round nose FMJ ammo in it and it's 100% reliable for me. Lots of people complain about the "Walther slide-bite". You just gotta learn how to grip the pistol, or you will experience it for yourself! I got bit a few times at first, but no more. Since it's a blow-back design, it's recoil is more than you might expect so don't limp wrist it. My PPK/S likes to be well lubed; I usually use CLP or Shooter's Choice gun Grease on the slide rails and it works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.